What's new

American Grafitti comes to Blu (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Went up on amazon and listed as special edition, now this being a George Lucas film, we know normaly what Special Edition means, so by using "the force" i figured out the small changes that will happen

George Lucas, The Wizards at ILM and Universal Studios finally present for the first time George Lucas’ definitive coming of age story. And with George (no film is every final) this has been modified to a new special edition via ILM wizardry, nostalgia be damned, to make it hip for the next generation. Look for the possible following changes….

To make up for oversights and the original budget constraints the following cast changes have been done digitally in the film (similar to Hayden Christian in Jedi)

In the greatest cast change ever screen icon Clint Howard replaces brother Ron, due to name and facial recognition; this also goes in Ron’s list of getting Clint into his movies.

For snubbing Jim Henson’s Creature Shop for the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, this is fixed by replacing Charles Martin Smith, as Toad with Kermit The Frog, but still using CMS voice.

Candy Clark’s voice has been replaced by James Earl Jones, and during the fight seen yells NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Mackenzie Phillips now sports Katy Perry’s’ Whip Cream Bra

And last but not least Greedo shoots first; causing Bob Falfa to wreck his Pod Racer.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
He already made his changes when the film was released to DVD as a special edition. He added the additional scenes that were from the re-release, tightened up some of the scenes a little, but the most notable change was how he changed the sky in the opening shot of the film. The sky was a brilliant sunset. Since Universal owns it, I don't think there will be any other changes. And the extras will most likely be from the special edition DVD.

All though it would be great if they added MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI as an extra. I just don't see it getting it's own Blu-ray release.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the coda was changed somewhat at the end to more coincide with More American Graffiti, and yes I also wish that it was being offered on a separate disc as an extra, but I just could not pass up the chance to see how the film could be changed,

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
This is absolutely not true. I have the paperback copy of the script that was released when the movie came out, in 1973 (before Lucas' special edition), and it is exactly the same as the DVD. More American Graffiti was written to conform with the coda (otherwise ther's no way Toad & Milner would have been killed off)

Originally Posted by dana martin

the coda was changed somewhat at the end to more coincide with More American Graffiti,

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
read somwhere that it was changed for the re-release to conside with the sequal, so the change was well before the dvd, also i have learned that just because it is in the script or for that matter the shooting script doesnt mean that it ends up on screen that way.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The coda was always there - if you read contemporary reviews of the film, you'll notice that the film was heavily criticized for ignoring the fates of the girls.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I saw AG in its original theatrical release in 1973 and the coda was definitely there. Although these days we are used to "what happened to these characters" text scrolls at the end of movies, at the time it was not a commonly-used device and it was very powerful. I distinctly remember being stunned and saddened as I read the fates of Toad and Milner, and the revelations had a similar effect on the rest of the audience (you could hear people gasping in shock).

To be fair to Dana, he never said the coda wasn't there, just that it was changed for the late-70s re-release to fit with MAG. And according to this site, that's true... but the change was indeed minor - the date of Milner's death was changed from June 1964 to December 1964. Although I remember the original moviegoing experience, I sure can't claim to remember a detail like that!! Anyway, I see no reason not to believe that this very minor change happened.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Craig S

I saw AG in its original theatrical release in 1973 and the coda was definitely there. Although these days we are used to "what happened to these characters" text scrolls at the end of movies, at the time it was not a commonly-used device and it was very powerful. I distinctly remember being stunned and saddened as I read the fates of Toad and Milner, and the revelations had a similar effect on the rest of the audience (you could hear people gasping in shock).

You just made me want to watch it again right now.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Craig,

thanks

While not that exact site, yes that is what I am referring to, it was posted some other place as well, and not just wiki, where as a lot of films push for the great theatrical aspect. This is how I have viewed this film; this is the better film of a drive-in double feature. Sorry sometime the age creeps in, and I did see most of my early “serious” at the “BIG” screen. but at thas point i want everthing as close to the filmmakers intentions, something that hardly was ever going to happen at the drive in, although for some AIP pictures i remember dusk till dawn showings and the fog rolling in while some of them scared the hell out of the girlfriend at the time.

Nostalgia being what it is, I wish there was still one close to where I am, miss the experience,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks