Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Before I buy...please take a look

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeWV

JoeWV

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 02:12 PM

After much reading and comparing, I think I am ready to buy, but want to get some feedback and make sure everything looks good first.

First of all, 18x18 room, carpeted floor. Vizio 55" LED LCD, Blue Ray player, Dish HD Receiver, Wii and possibly xbox.

I have around $1000 to spend. I almost bought the Onkyo 9300 kit but read on here I can do better on the speakers with my money. Really only want a 5.1 system by the way.

So, here is what I am thinking.

Receiver: onkyo tx-sr508 or 608. Not sure what I will gain from the 608 over the 508? anyone?

Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers

http://www.amazon.co...99034506&sr=8-2 

Thinking about using these for the front and back, any problem with this? Think these would be decent for a beginning set-up?

Center: Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker

http://www.amazon.co...99034867&sr=1-2 

or if I can swiing it: Polk Audio CS20 Center Channel Speaker

http://www.amazon.co...99034941&sr=1-3

Sub:

BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer

http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_cp_e_1_map 

Read some good things about this sub. Anything else better for $200?

Also, not sure about front firing  or down firing. Not really sure about the difference?

Here is a down firing option I looked at:

http://www.amazon.co...S/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Wires:

Monoprice 12 gauge

So, let me know what you think before I buy....Thanks

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 11:41 PM

Looks like a solid system to me.  Nuance features aside, the 608 mostly seems to provide analog to digital conversion and upscaling; a nice convenience feature if you have the cash, and not necessary if you don't.  (You realize Onkyo has a compare feature on its site, right?)

Using the full bookshelf for surrounds* is overkill for a movie experience.  But if you'll also be using the system for music, then that works.  *You said "rear"; in a 5.1 system they go on the side.

I think you'll be fine with the CS10, and they certainly "match" the performance of the Monitor 30s.  But some people really like a strong center channel.  And you do have a large theater area.  You don't mention how far the viewing distance will be.  If you are sitting the full 18' from the speakers (not a good choice for the surrounds) then you might be asking a lot from all the front stage speakers.  If you're 10' away, no problem.

Everything I've read says there's no difference between downfiring and sidefiring subs.  I don't have direct experience; I only own downfiring subs.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeWV

JoeWV

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 02 2011 - 12:48 AM

Sorry,

Probably a little less than ten feet from tv to furniture.

I did look at the Onkyo site, trying to absorb a lot of information...and you all have it. As far a upconverting, my Blue-Ray currently upconverts DVD's, so if I understand the technology correctly, the only real benefit would be upconverting the kids Wii?

As far as overkill, would it make sense to get the nicer center and downgrade the 'side' speakers a little? And would the center still 'match' the fronts? I tried to look up that info but honestly don't understand the technology.

I appreciate your advice and that of others I have had in the past. Trying to make a good experience for my family and a Best Buy salespitch just doesn't cut it.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,016 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 02 2011 - 01:18 AM

Just to clarify on the analog to digital upconversion: without that feature, if you connect the Wii to the receiver using component video cables, you'll need a separate run of component video cables from the receiver to the TV.

Really, doing that for just one source doesn't make much sense, so with the 508 you're more likely to connect the component video from the Wii directly to a component video input on the TV (you can still run the audio from the Wii directly to the receiver).

The implication of this is that to play Wii, you'll need to change inputs on the TV (for video) and the receiver (for audio) rather than just at the receiver, if you went with the 608.

Really, it is a matter of convenience only.  If you get a decent universal remote like a Harmony from Logitech that is "Activity" based, it is very easy to set up macros that will do the input switching for you (or your kids, wife, guests, etc.)

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeWV

JoeWV

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 02 2011 - 11:33 PM

Anybody else?

Specifically, should i downgrade the rear speakers and upgrade the center? Any other solid subs out there in the $200 range?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   winniw

winniw

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted March 03 2011 - 01:11 PM

One thing about a down-firing sub is that if you have kids or pets or clumsy people in your house, they are less likely to damage a down-firing subs driver by running into it.  A side-firing sub may offer some very slight advantage in tuning it to the room by facing it in different directions but I haven't tested this hypothesis, nor have I ever read it anywhere... in fact, I just made it up.

Just for the record... I don't think that I have ever recommended down-grading anything! 

Nick

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeWV

JoeWV

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 03 2011 - 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by winniw 

One thing about a down-firing sub is that if you have kids or pets or clumsy people in your house, they are less likely to damage a down-firing subs driver by running into it.  A side-firing sub may offer some very slight advantage in tuning it to the room by facing it in different directions but I haven't tested this hypothesis, nor have I ever read it anywhere... in fact, I just made it up.

Just for the record... I don't think that I have ever recommended down-grading anything! 

Nick

Nick, I think you and I would get along great!!! thanks :)

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   winniw

winniw

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted March 04 2011 - 03:05 AM

Thanks Joe!

Actually, I do remember reading that one disadvantage to a down-firing sub is that after a time, the cone starts to sag because of the constant weight of the cone hanging on the spider and surround.  But don't worry about that because that is a really good reason to upgrade later!

Nick

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeWV

JoeWV

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 04 2011 - 03:20 AM

Thanks Nick, I did order the BIC F-12. It gets great reviews, and I think it will be big enough to make my wife complain!! At $183 shipped, it's a good starting place!

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   winniw

winniw

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted March 04 2011 - 03:41 AM

Good.  You have to start somewhere.  Let us know how it works out.  I really like to hear the ending of the story!

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeWV

JoeWV

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 08 2011 - 04:06 AM

The living room is full of boxes!! As soon as the wires come in...