Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hard Drive on Network for movies

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   beetle_slayer

beetle_slayer

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 05:32 PM

I've been searching several sites and can't seem to find the answer.  If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction.  My search words might be different than needed. OK.  I need a hard drive on my fios network for general storage of pictures, songs, etc.  I also want to back up a few frequently watched kids movies that I can play through either my fios stb or my Pioneer BDP 330. The question arises in whether or not I can use one drive for this (ethernet) or will I need 2 (1 ethernet for storage and 1 USB for plugging into my BDP or STB- whichever works best). Any help? Jon

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,336 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 11:55 PM

One drive will work, but it also depends on the rest of your components.  I have a network drive (ethernet) and use a Seagate Hometheater+ to decode and send to the TV/receiver.  If you are intending to go without the middleman, then you need a (more expensive) receiver or TV that can talk directly to the NAS.  Usually this is accomplished by setting the NAS up as a server, and the receiver or TV uses the DLNA protocol.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   beetle_slayer

beetle_slayer

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 01:45 AM

Thanks a ton.  My receiver doesn't have dlna nor my tv.  I guess I would need a device such as the Seagate (or similar).  I know now what I need to do.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   beetle_slayer

beetle_slayer

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 01:48 AM

I think I will probably lose some sound formats like True HD and DTS Master.  But I have a BDP for that.  How would you rate your experience with it? (would you do it again?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users