What's new

Do I need new speakers? (1 Viewer)

Goinaround

Auditioning
Real Name
Diane
Do I need To spend the $700 on the new speakers or just keep what I have? Currently have Polk Audio RM2300 5.1 package. (4 RM2300 satellites, RM6200 center, and powered sub PSW350) we have been using in downstairs family room with a projection TV. Now have Samsung 46" HDTV on wall above a noisy pellet stove in living room and want surround sound experience to help hear TV/Movies above the blower noise. Purchased Denon 1611 and have ordered Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 package. (4 PC 600 satellites, PC 600 Center, 250W powered Sub.) Room is 13.5 x 23.5, but viewing area is a cozy 13.5 x 13.5. Center speaker will be in front of TV on mantle, 2 front at ends of 6.3' mantle (cannot wall mount due to drywall to brick no space for hiding speaker wire). Sub will be on floor next to hearth if i get DefTech, sub on hearth if I keep Polk Audio due to larger box. Rear speakers will be on stands at each end of viewing area running through rocketfish wireless system (cannot wall or ceiling mount because of ceiling heat and pitch of roof not allowing drill to get into wall without destroying crown molding).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would think both speaker sets would out about the same volume so it comes down to which sounds best to you. I would think the Def Techs would be a better speaker than the Polks but it's for you to decide.

So the bottom line is you don't need to spend $700 on new speakers but you may want to .

Goinaround

Auditioning
Real Name
Diane
Thanks Gene. I guess what I'm really asking is what are the differences between the two speaker set ups besides age? Have speakers changed much in 8 years? What does Definitive Technology do that is better than Polk Audio?

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Speakers haven't really changed that much in 8 years. The two systems will probably sound different from each other, but that does not mean the one will necessarily sound better... just different. You will be the one who ultimately decides what the differences are and which is "better".

Anyway, you have already ordered the speakers, so now it is just a matter of "wait and see".

Nick

Goinaround

Auditioning
Real Name
Diane
Thanks Nick. You're right I will know soon. Just wish I could test them side by side instantly like they do at the home theater stores.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Well, could you hook up one pair of Polks to "Speakers A" and one pair of Def Techs to "Speakers B" and switch back and forth between them? If so, I would recommend leaving the sub disconnected so that you are listening to the satellites only.

BTW, you have my sympathy... I know the waiting is excruciating!

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks