What's new

Wireless rear surround speakers (1 Viewer)

Skormy

Auditioning
Real Name
Skormy
I know wireless is never as good as wired, but logistics prevent me from running speaker wire for rear speakers ( a wood ceiling for one). I've had great difficulty finding decent options. I've read about the Polk FX, and a couple of others, but just haven't found the choices I'd thought I'd find. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You've had a hard time finding decent wireless options because there really aren't any.

It's sad but true. Most "wireless" systems aren't completely wireless unless the speakers have batteries in them, which results in two problems: Really lousy performance, and the need to replace the batteries on a semi-regular basis.

Most of the available "wireless" systems work the same way. A transmitter is attached to the back of the receiver and sends the audio signal wirelessly to a second receiver unit.

This wireless receiver has to be plugged into a wall outlet for power. It receives the signal, amplifies it, and sends the amplified signal via speaker wire to the two surround speakers.

In essence, these systems alleviate the need to run speaker wires from the front of the room to the sides (where the surround speakers of a 5.1 system are supposed to be) or the rear of the room (for the back surrounds of a 7.1 system).

One commonly mentioned product is this one from Rocketfish. The reviews are mixed. Some folks encounter interference from other electronics in the house, others were disappointed that it wasn't truly wireless, but that's the compromise you're facing.

On another note, have you really tried looking into alternatives for hiding speaker wire? It's really quite rare that there are absolutely no options.
  • If you have carpeting, you can usually run wire along the edges of the room underneath the baseboards and behind the tack strips.
  • If you have attic or basement access, you can easily run wire within the walls to either cavity, then across and back down inside the wall.
  • Crown molding near the ceiling can hide speaker wire
  • and the possibilities continue...

Skormy

Auditioning
Real Name
Skormy
Yes, I had looked at the Rocketfish and seen the mixed reviews, which I why I was searching for alternatives. A transmitter/jreceiver option is basically what I'm looking for. I don't have a problem getting power or speaker wires to the rear speakers. On the cabling side, the room has at least partially been re-done as part of a remodeling endeavor, so we've done the drywall work and already painted. The floor is wood, on slab, and the ceiling is wood as well. I was flat out looking for a less painful solution. Thanks, I'm likely to re-evaluate Rocketfish.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
The big drawback I see to the Rocketfish system is the fact that you have one wireless receiver which is also the amp for your two surround speakers in a 5.1 system. Since the surround speakers in a 5.1 system should be placed to the side and slightly to the rear of the prime viewing spot you are still going to have to run wires to speakers that may be on opposite walls. This may present as many problems then just running speaker wire along each wall from your receiver.

To me the Rocketfish system might work better for the rear speakers on a 7.1 system as opposed the the surrounds on either a 5.1 or 7.1 system. Like many products sold on Amazon with product reviews it seems that folks either love them or hate them.

If you dig a bit further you will see many wiring alternatives such as flat wire which tends to look like tape. I would not throw in the towel on hard wires as most of us have had a speaker wire challenge or two to deal with in putting or systems together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks