-

Photo
- - - - -

"Courtship of Eddie's Father" & "Grizzly Adams"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted February 26 2011 - 09:11 AM

Does anyone have any information at all on these two classics that I wish would come out on DVD?

I know that there was one episode released from "Courtship of Eddie's Father" in a Christmas DVD release last year.

Any news would be helpful?

Thanks,

Mick Tees

#2 of 68 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 09:51 AM

There's a strong rumor that "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" may come out this year through the Warner Archive's which is who released the Christmas episode you mentioned. They are supposedly going to start releasing alot of classic TV shows this year but so far they've only released Cheyene Season 2 and several Hanna Barbera shows.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#3 of 68 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 11:14 AM

That's great news Randy! I've been waiting for a long time for this series to be released. I refuse to buy any bootlegs online.

Now, I just hope that Grizzly Adams will be some day too.

Thank-you!

#4 of 68 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 02:06 AM

Great news Warner Archive just released Season 1 today. The complete season, 26 episodes, no half a season and a great price of $31.50 at the usual 10% off archive price. Much better deal than paramounts half seasons so The Archives are listening to feedback and improving. I've got mine on order just hope they can speed up releases so they can start releasing more shows as well as start to continue shows they have already started. I'm hoping for Welcome Back Kotter seasons 2-4 and all of Chico and the Man to be released by them. Update: Looks like they changed it to $39.95 with 10% off= $35.96 which once again shows its always good to check the archive early on release day and if a price on a title you want sounds cheaper than normal grab it quick. They seem to have titles cheap whether by mistake or on purpose who knows but they only last for a few hours. Tim Holt Vol. 2 was the last one it was $19.99 for awhile on release day before being changed to $39.99. I got a couple of Hanna Barbera titles at $19.99 before they changed them to the normal $29.99.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#5 of 68 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 06:13 AM

alright!!! by the way is there some trick to getting the free shipping? I bought the Flinstones Christmas collection that also came out today and they tagged on $5 for shipping plus tax. Next time I will order through Amazon. That way it will be free or at most $2.99 if under $25 total.

#6 of 68 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 06:55 AM

Update: Looks like they changed it to $39.95 with 10% off= $35.96 which once again shows its always good to check the archive early on release day and if a price on a title you want sounds cheaper than normal grab it quick. They seem to have titles cheap whether by mistake or on purpose who knows but they only last for a few hours. Tim Holt Vol. 2 was the last one it was $19.99 for awhile on release day before being changed to $39.99. I got a couple of Hanna Barbera titles at $19.99 before they changed them to the normal $29.99.

Interesting, I happened to order it at lunch after seeing this thread and got it or the $31.50 + $2.50 shipping. I was expecting to pay $5 shipping, so was happy enough to get it for this.

#7 of 68 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 07:00 AM

Interesting, I happened to order it at lunch after seeing this thread and got it or the $31.50 + $2.50 shipping. I was expecting to pay $5 shipping, so was happy enough to get it for this.

Yeah they lowered their shipping costs 2-3 months ago which is of course a good thing since they were a bit high before.

Top 20 Films

#8 of 68 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,795 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 27 2011 - 07:06 AM

One of my most wanted. beautiful show! I thought the show was named "Eddie's Father" as a child. I agree about "Chico". Another most wanted. Alice would also be nice. ...oh, and Grizzly for me too!
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#9 of 68 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 07:41 AM

Yes, yes, yes! I ordered mine just about two minutes ago. One of my most wanted shows of the 70s is finally comeing out. I'm so excited about this. Lord, do I remember watching this when it was originally on. I haven't seen it in over 20 years. Can't wait to get this in my hot little hands. This was a complete surpirse for me but a very, very welcomed one.

#10 of 68 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,795 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 28 2011 - 10:01 AM

Turner South showed it for a short time in the 90s. Was VERY happy to see it again. Only sad I didn't record any of the episodes for keeps. complete surprise for me too. I thought it was the theatrical film that was getting some kind of big release. Then I saw Bixby and that kid. could't believe my eyes! Mr. Eddie's Father! woo hoo! One thing I always remember from the show is when their friend shows them how bachelors eat over the sink so you don't have to worry about dishes piling up. I think about that often when I'm washing dishes in my non-dishwasher household. haha!
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#11 of 68 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 03:39 PM

Received my "Courtship of Eddie's Father" today and watched the first two episodes. The show was just as good as I remembered, and the quality of the video was excellent. I'm definitely glad I picked this one up. My guess (without having looked closer yet) is that these are dual layer DVD-R's, so maybe they have worked through any issues.

#12 of 68 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,419 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 04 2011 - 04:05 PM

Gosh.  I just stumbled upon this thread by accident.

This is a title my wife has wanted ever since they started putting TV shows on DVD.  Her face just lit up when I told her the news.

Thanks for the info fellas!  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 68 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 02:04 AM

I wonder how soon it will be available on Amazon

#14 of 68 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 09:37 AM

I got my set yesterday as well. I haven't had a chance to watch any episodes yet since I'm watching The Bionic Woman season three right now. I'm glad to hear that the video and audio is good. Eddie is up when I finish Bionic Woman. Can't wait.

#15 of 68 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 13 2011 - 06:45 AM

For anyone interested in the "Courtship of Eddie's Father" Season 1 set, Deep Discount has it up for preorder, showing a release date of 11/01, for $20.67 off a list price of $26.99! Not sure if this is a mistake since it's currently $39.95 at the Warner Archive site, but it's a great deal. I've preordered mine and hopefully even if there is a mistake in the listing they'll honor the $20.67 price. I've just never seen any of the archive releases go down so much in price after having just been released?

#16 of 68 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted October 13 2011 - 02:55 PM

I finished watching the first disc and I'm totally in love with this show. I'm so glad that I am finally getting to see it again. The fourth episode (The Littlest Kidnapper) has one laugh out loud moment at the very beginning. Tom and Eddie are discussing bees, flowers and pollination. Eddie makes some sort of remarks about Mrs. Livingston being alone and having no one. Unlike Eddie and Tom who have eachother. Tom explains that Mrs. Livingston has them and they have her. Eddie then asks, "Dad, why don't you pollinate Mrs. Livingston so she can have a son, too?" I lost it. Too funny. Later in the episode, Eddie brings home a boy named Frank and tells Mrs. Livingston that Frank is now her son. As Mrs. Livingston is trying to explain the situation to Tom she says, 'I've been pollinated." Totally cute episode.

#17 of 68 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted October 13 2011 - 05:02 PM

Yes, a great-great show. I had fond recollections watching it as a kid when it originally aired. But when it comes to recreating that feeling as an adult much later, some shows you wonder why you ever liked it, some it is just like when you were a kid, and some escalate the feeling by adding a whole new adult perspective on top of the old feelings. This one definitely escalates, at least for me. I just started the second disk and agree wholeheartedly with your comments. This first season is just perfection. Too bad they couldn't maintain it.

#18 of 68 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted October 13 2011 - 06:59 PM

Does anyone think they used 35mm masters for the release? I haven't seen anything but ghastly 16mm syndie prints in 40 years...

#19 of 68 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 01:25 AM

I'm not sure what prints were used for this release, but the video quality looks pretty good to me. The episodes I've watched have been crisp and clear. The colors look bright and not oversaturated. I'd have to say that for as old as this show is, it looks really good. I forgot to mention earlier that each episode starts with the 'The Courtship of Eddie's Father in Color' place card and ends with the original MGM TV logo. Nice touches. I hope this release has sold well so that we can get the final two seasons.

#20 of 68 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted October 14 2011 - 01:30 AM

Does anyone think they used 35mm masters for the release? I haven't seen anything but ghastly 16mm syndie prints in 40 years...

They look really good to me. Now I've learned from watching older TV shows to be a bit more forgiving at times, but projecting on a 92" 16x9 screen they are far from ghastly, and are on par with the better color releases I've seen from that period. The only areas of softness in the image that I've seen are in the outdoor intro's where they are shown having a good time and talking about things. I can easily imagine these parts were always a bit soft. So if they are 16mm prints they were kept in great shape and maintain quite a bit of detail. Excellent release in my opinion.