Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Cabaret" "Mister Roberts" blu-ray upgrades

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted February 26 2011 - 04:58 AM

"Cabaret" "Mister Roberts" blu-ray upgrades 

These were very early Warner Bros DVD releases and among the few DVD's I have which really look bad up scaled on a digital monitor. WB really needs to revisit these for Blu-ray

Many other WB titles look fine but these and also "The Music Man" look horrible - Luckily "The Music Man" received a beautiful HD transfer last year (but seems to be OOP?)

"Mister Roberts" was a CinemaScope film and always had a clean look to it.

I saw "Cabaret" on the big screen in the 70's and it also looked great (for a film that was made to look dark - but not grainy as some 70 films were)

Both would greatly benefit from a blu-ray release (Next year "Cabaret" turns 40 so the marketing people would be happy)

"Mister Roberts" still has 4 years before reaching a major anniversary so maybe it could be a "Non Anniversary" release - people buy those too

I don't believe either film was anamorphic

#2 of 20 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,552 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 26 2011 - 06:20 AM

Mr. Roberts was anamorphic, but Cabaret has strangely gone through two DVD releases as a non-anamorphic release.  Both would be a welcomed addition to the Blu-ray family.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 20 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 26 2011 - 10:16 AM

For a movie of its caliber and quality, Cabaret has been treated shamefully on home video. A proper Blu-ray release with decent extras (Minnelli and Grey are both still with us to participate in discussions about its making) is the least Warners can offer us.

#4 of 20 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 26 2011 - 10:36 AM

When Arthur double feature was announce, i made very blatant statement, that i would love to see Liza in a Bowler hat on blu, hopefully this will be coming sometime in the near future, and i agree that i would love to have the involvement for Her and Grey

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#5 of 20 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,037 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 27 2011 - 01:56 AM

I've never seen Mister Roberts (I'd like to but never got around to it), but here's one customer for a restored (if necessary) Blu-Ray of Cabaret. The extras are already there, so I'm guessing all that's needed is a new transfer. Anything from Bob Fosse's all-too-brief film career would be welcome.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#6 of 20 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 28 2011 - 12:53 AM

Mister Robers- i do hope this makes it to blu soon as well, such a great film all around perfect casting Cagney, Fonda, Powell, Lemon, Bond.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#7 of 20 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,823 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 11 2011 - 03:20 PM

So I wanted to watch a musical tonight--something I haven't seen in a very long time.  I picked Cabaret.

I had completely forgotten this was a non-anamorphic release!

Originally Posted by MattH. 

For a movie of its caliber and quality, Cabaret has been treated shamefully on home video. A proper Blu-ray release with decent extras (Minnelli and Grey are both still with us to participate in discussions about its making) is the least Warners can offer us.

This is a title that really HAS been treated horribly on home video.  Something must be done.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 20 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted November 11 2011 - 03:38 PM

I absolutely agree and I think the reputation of CABARET has suffered since the only way most people can see it is the current awful dvd. Does Mr. Harris or anyone else know the condition of the elements for this film? I know ownership has changed over the years.

#9 of 20 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 457 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted November 11 2011 - 05:36 PM

A 40th anniversary restoration of CABARET has been announced as the Opening Night Gala at next year's TCM Classic Film Festival in April.

#10 of 20 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 11 2011 - 11:38 PM

A 40th anniversary restoration of CABARET has been announced as the Opening Night Gala at next year's TCM Classic Film Festival in April.

I noticed that too and am assuming that a a new Blu-Ray will follow shortly thereafter.

#11 of 20 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,552 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 12 2011 - 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rob W 

Welcomed news.   Could be part of the 50 classic Blu-rays that Warner says they are going to do for 2012.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 20 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,106 posts

Posted November 12 2011 - 01:29 AM

That would be wunderbar.

#13 of 20 bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted November 12 2011 - 03:30 AM

Would be most welcome!!!

#14 of 20 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted November 12 2011 - 05:21 AM

waiting.......... waiting............

Playing at the Drive In

#15 of 20 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,037 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 12 2011 - 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rob W 

It's about damned time. What good is sitting alone in a vault?

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#16 of 20 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted November 12 2011 - 09:40 AM

Good one Matthew.

#17 of 20 adklz

adklz

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 11:39 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...agewanted=print

#18 of 20 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 01:11 PM

Another vote for a properly restored BD of Mr. Roberts.  This is a terrific film all around and the fact it boasts never-better performances from William Powell, Jimmy Cagney, and Jack Lemmon makes it hold up under repeated viewings.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#19 of 20 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,823 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 12 2012 - 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by adklz 

http://www.nytimes.c...agewanted=print

That sounds promising, Jim.  Thanks for posting.  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 20 Nick Eden

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 07:57 AM

It's about damned time. What good is sitting alone in a vault?

So apt and so funny. Made me laugh at loud. Very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users