-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vivendi Press Release: H.R. PUFNSTUF: THE COMPLETE SERIES

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,297 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 11:34 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

SID AND MARTY KROFFT’S

H.R. PUFNSTUF CELEBRATES 40 YEARS

Iconic Children’s Series Presented in Standard and Collector’s Editions with All 17 Episodes on Three Discs, and a Rare  Episode of “Horror Hotel” on DVD for the First Time Ever

Collector’s Edition Accompanied by Exclusive Bobblehead

Both Sets Due Out April 12 from Vivendi Entertainment

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

LOS ANGELES (February 24, 2011) – As H. R. Pufnstuf marks 40 years since the series ended its trailblazing run on Saturday mornings, Vivendi Entertainment honors the iconic Sid and Marty Krofft creation with H. R. PUFNSTUF: THE COMPLETE SERIES. This three-DVD collection features all 17 episodes, which were originally broadcast between 1969 and 1971.

Presented in standard and collector’s editions, both versions include the entire series accompanied by downloadable vintage coloring sheets, and – for the first time ever on DVD – the rare series episode, “Horror Hotel.” In addition, the Collector’s Edition comes with an exclusive H.R. Pufnstuf bobblehead. Each will be available April 12 at all retail outlets for a suggested list price of $24.99 (standard) and $34.97 (collector’s).

Four decades have past since H. R. Pufnstuf left NBC airwaves, but the colorful series remains popular, not only among those reliving their childhood, but also with others discovering the whimsical world of Living Island for the first time. As a testament to the series’ longevity, Los Angeles based KCET, the largest independent public television station in the country, recently added H. R. Pufnstuf to its weekend line-up of children’s programming.

H. R. PUFNSTUF: THE COMPLETE SERIES is the latest release to stem from the partnership the Krofft brothers and Vivendi Entertainment formed last year. The ongoing collaboration promises to produce a series of DVD sets and compilations that will spotlight the sibling puppeteer’s iconic catalog of children’s television shows.

One of those programs, Lidsville, is heading to the big screen courtesy of DreamWorks Animation. The Krofft brothers will serve as executive producers for the project, which marks the first animated feature film adaptation of their work.

The Kroffts have been producing entertainment treasured by families for more than 40 years. Sid & Marty rose to prominence in the ’70s with a series of remarkable programs that featured elaborate sets and fanciful characters. H.R. Pufnstuf was the first in a long line of popular programs created by the Kroffts, including The BugaloosLand Of The LostSigmund & the Sea Monsters and The Krofft Supershow to name but a few. The Krofft’s success led them to produce various prime-time series and specials, including The Brady Bunch HourThe Donny & Marie Show and Barbara Mandrell & The Mandrell Sisters series.

For additional information regarding H. R. PUFNSTUF: THE COMPLETE SERIES, please contact Christoph Buerger at (323) 868-7611 orchristoph@davidlynch.com.

H.R. PUFNSTUF: THE COMPLETE SERIES

DVD Episode Listing

DISC 1

1.       The Magic Path

2.       The Wheely Bird

3.       Showbiz Witch

4.       The Mechanical Boy

5.       The Stand-In

6.       The Golden Key

DISC 2

1.       The Birthday Party

2.       The Box Kite Kaper

3.       You Can’t Have Your Cake

4.       Horse With The Golden Throat

5.       Dinner For Two

6.       Book, Flute and Candle

DISC 3

1.       Tooth For A Tooth

2.       The Visiting Witch

3.       The Almost Election of Witchiepoo

4.       Whaddya Mean the Horse Gets the Girl?

5.       Jimmy Who?

EXTRAS:

A Never Before Released Episode of Horror Hotel from the Krofft Superstar Hour

Downloadable Vintage HR Pufnstuf Music and Coloring Book

SYNOPSIS:

Relive the Saturday mornings of your youth with the first series from legendary producers Sid & Marty Krofft!  When a boy names Jimmy finds himself stranded on Living Island with his magic gold flute Freddy, he is taken in by a talking dragon named H.R. Pufnstuf, who is the mayor of Living Island. Pufnstuftries to help Jimmy escape, while at the same time tries to avoid the evil Witchiepoo who wants the magic flute all to herself.

H.R. PUFNSTUF: THE COMPLETE SERIES

Price:                                           $24.99

Street Date:                                April 12, 2011

Pre-Book Date:                        March 8, 2011

Catalog Number:                     SI2961

UPC:                                              883476029610

Language:                                   English

Running time:                          374 minutes

Rating:                                         NR

H.R. PUFNSTUF: THE COMPLETE SERIES – COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Price:                                           $34.97

Street Date:                                April 12, 2011

Pre-Book Date:                        March 8, 2011

Catalog Number:                     SI3048

UPC:                                              883476030487

Language:                                   English

Running time:                          374 minutes

Rating:                                         NR

ABOUT SID & MARTY KROFFT

Brothers Sid & Marty Krofft have been producing quality family entertainment for over 40 years. Sid & Marty became a household name in the ’70s with a series of remarkable programs that featured elaborate sets and fanciful characters. H.R. Pufnstuf was the first in a long line of beloved programs created by the Kroffts, including The Bugaloos, Lidsville, Land Of The Lost, Far Out Space Nuts, Lost Saucer, The Krofft Supershow Hour, The Bay City Rollers Show, Wonderbug andBigfoot & Wildboy. The Kroffts’ success with Saturday morning television prompted a demand for them to produce prime-time programming. They produced various prime-time series and specials, including The Brady Bunch HourThe Donny & Marie Show and Barbara Mandrell & The Mandrell Sisters.

ABOUT VIVENDI ENTERTAINMENT

Vivendi Entertainment is a full service independent film, television, DVD and digital distribution company operating in the United States and Canada. Representing a vast range of genres including action, comedy, urban, family, Latino, sports and stand-up comedies, Vivendi Entertainment has become a favorite distribution partner for independent content providers. The company has built an extensive catalog of over 3,000 titles, and its customer-centric business model was founded on the principles of collaboration and financial transparency. The company provides sales, marketing, and distribution services to many of the home entertainment industry's most prestigious brands including: The Weinstein Company, World Wrestling Entertainment, National Geographic, Classic Media, RHI, Shout! Factory, Salient, and Code Black.  Vivendi Entertainment is a division of Universal Music Group Distribution, the award-winning sales, marketing and distribution arm of Universal Music Group, the world's leading music company.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,358 posts

Posted February 26 2011 - 01:18 AM

These two things sound like complaints but they are not complaints:

1.) They should make it available on Blu-ray, so that people who own the old release have a good reason to upgrade.

2.) If they're going to put out that one ep of Horror Hotel, they should do another release with all the vignettes from the Bay City Rollers Show, meaning Horror Hotel and Lost Island. And to top it off--since the Bay City Rollers Show was cut mid-season, some of the segments never even aired. So that means there might be some lost Lost Island segments floating around in the Krofft vaults that have never seen the light of day. Two Krofft shows--starring their most popular characters--both shows haven't been aired in over 30 years and there may be unaired segments to boot. Sounds like a dvd to me! ("Horror Hotel" had Witchiepoo in the lead, while "Lost Island" was a segment that involved characters from Pufnstuf, Sigmund, Lidsville, Dr. Shrinker and Land of the Lost, IIRC.).

#3 of 11 stuartfanning

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted February 26 2011 - 10:20 PM

It's been out in the UK on DVD since 2004. However the US standard release is going to be a lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co...98805424&sr=1-2 

#4 of 11 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,358 posts

Posted February 26 2011 - 11:51 PM

No, we've had it in the U.S. for about as long (I think it was a Rhino release),  but I think this new version doesn't include all the extras from that release. That release had contemporary interviews from Sid & Marty Krofft, Jack Wild and Billie Hayes...it would be a pity to skip over them this time around :(

#5 of 11 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,698 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted May 06 2011 - 09:26 PM

I just picked it up a short time ago.  About to watch Episode 1 for fun.

Hoping this release was a success.  Would love a similar Complete set for my other fav, Sigmund & the Seamonsters which has never gotten a complete digital release.  Plus, a reissue of Lidsville which I have on tape but missed getting the nifty DVD set.  PLUS plus, Bugaloos for those who missed it.  That's a really fun show that all fans of Krofft should have.  Glad I picked it up before it went oop.

I don't guess there is a release schedule from Vivendi?  I looked on their site and didn't see anything.

sidandmartykrofft.com reported in Jan '11 a Lidsville animated movie in the works from Dreamworks by the Monsters vs Aliens Shrek 2 director!  That's a good sign.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 11 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 12:51 AM

I interviewed Sid Krofft about the release of the latest Pufnstuf

http://www.asitecall...t-party-favors/

He says Sigmund and the Seamonsters is next on the release slate - and it should include all the episodes instead of just the first season like the Rhino re-issue.

While not a Blu-ray release, the new boxset has improved transfers over the old Pufnstuf collection. Plus the price is a lot less.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#7 of 11 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,698 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 06:17 AM

Thanks Joe!

That's some of the best news I've heard in a while.  Very excited about that.

Awesome you were able to talk to Sid Krofft. My childhood was filled with everything mentioned in there.  Really liked hearing the story of he and his dad seeing Wizard of Oz.  That's something you don't forget.

The 3D cartoon thing didn't even occur to me.  That's was a very smart move on their part.

And MJ's Moonwalk?  Damn..  Great bit of trivia.

Still reading your interview but it's a lot of great info.  Nice job.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 11 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 07 2011 - 09:55 AM

Someone posted a review on Amazon and said that the openings are the short versions....can anyone confirm this?

#9 of 11 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,698 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 11:04 AM

The review on amazon says it's the full openings with Jimmy going down to the boat. ...erm, oh wait. You were looking at the one with the bobblehead and I the one without.    I wouldn't know the difference but it didn't seem short to me.  At least the first episode on my set has Jimmy going down to the boat...then the boat turning black and evil, Jimmy washes up on shore and the rest.  I believe that's the full deal.

Although I did turn it off once to get a drink or something and when I turned it back on it had backed up a little.  Maybe some players are having problems...??

Wanted to note that the Pufnstuf Movie is showing up at BIg Lots for $3.  I picked up one the other day.  I'm planning to watch it after watching all the episodes.  Sure remember seeing that several times in the theater and just loving it.

#10 of 11 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted May 22 2011 - 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Radioman970 

The review on amazon says it's the full openings with Jimmy going down to the boat. ...erm, oh wait. You were looking at the one with the bobblehead and I the one without.    I wouldn't know the difference but it didn't seem short to me.  At least the first episode on my set has Jimmy going down to the boat...then the boat turning black and evil, Jimmy washes up on shore and the rest.  I believe that's the full deal.

Although I did turn it off once to get a drink or something and when I turned it back on it had backed up a little.  Maybe some players are having problems...??

Wanted to note that the Pufnstuf Movie is showing up at BIg Lots for $3.  I picked up one the other day.  I'm planning to watch it after watching all the episodes.  Sure remember seeing that several times in the theater and just loving it.

I bit the bullet and picked this up even though I have the older version. (No bobblehead, though I was tempted.) A few episodes have a shorter version of the opening theme song. I'd forgotten about this, but in looking at an older thread, this is also true of the previous Rhino release -- and all the episodes have the same run time, 21 1/2 minutes, give or take a few seconds. I was hoping maybe the ones with the shorter theme might have the mid-show bumper (performed by "The Boyds," on the same stage as the closing theme segment) to make up the time, but alas, no. So my guess is they may have aired this way originally and it was just a time cut?

The ones with the shorter intro are:

#11 (Dinner For Two)

#13 (Tooth For A Tooth)

#14 (The Visiting Witch)

There is one segment of "Horror Hotel" which is identified as being from The Krofft Superstar Hour -- this segment was my sole reason for picking up this set, stop me before I do this again -- it features several of the supporting characters (but not Pufnstuf or Jimmy) as well as Hoodoo from Lidsville. The segment runs about 11 minutes and in the middle there is a bumper from The Bay City Rollers Show (half-hour retitled version of The Krofft Superstar Hour). That was kind of a nice surprise. I'd like to see The Krofft Supershow and The Krofft Superstar Hour released as complete series but maybe at least the various segments will find their way out as extras like this.

Sounds good about Sigmund possibly being planned as a complete series -- I note the Rhino Season 1 release includes one episode with the Season 2 intro (which is completely different from Season 1). I always wondered why they didn't just do the whole series in the first place...

#11 of 11 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,698 posts

Posted May 25 2011 - 08:06 AM

You might be on to something.  But the shorter openings don't bother me too much since the longer is included.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but I remember getting mad at my big sister when the Superstar Hour turned into Bay City Rollers.  I thought she's turned the channel.  I think I told mom on her.  Hahaha!  But that's a nice extra to have and they can keep up providing stuff like that in future releases.

I really can't wait to get Sigmund.  I don't preorder much but I will that one.  Itching to get my hands on it. I have many on VHS I recorded and the 1 DVD release they did, but that's it.  The whole show would fulfill a long time want.  I think Rhino was trying to maximize profits on that one and just never got around to doing the follow up releases.  The cost to release something like these shouldn't be too much, I wouldn't think.  Well...I know nothing at all but I'm guessing there isn't a whole lot to it, unlike something like Wonder Years with impossible music rights or something with superstars in it.

Now, I'm hoping they can get some extras on Sigmund.  I have no doubt Whittaker would be happy to talk about the experience again.  He had a good attitude about his fame like Jim Carrey has...enjoy it while you have it because it won't last forever.