Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Excalibur Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,247 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 29 2012 - 08:43 AM

Picked t up at BB earlier this year for $5, never watched all the way through before so a first time for me. Image was a tad soft or dullish but I read that it was constantly raining during filming so that may have played a part in the look. Heads being lopped off at the top was a little distracting, Especially the wedding procession. One line stuck out to me as being odd or maybe it means something diffent now. After Gueniviere was accused at the round table she stands up and says "I protest my innocence. " What? You, protest it? Anyway Liam Neeson sure came a long way since his first film appearance here. He was pretty bad as was that terrible fake beard he wore. It really looked like it was held on by string attached to his ears. Also equally bad was the fellow who played Arthur. What a stiff. Apparently Boorman wanted new faces in the movie, too bad because a few of them stunk. One other thing, was the entire movie dubbed? One of the worst dubbed movies I've seen. Bordering on japanese animation and Godzilla type dubbing, awful.
facebook.com/whotony

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted May 29 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yes, Boorman post dubbed the entire film. It was his style at the time. Think of it as a Samurai flick and it's actually pretty neat. The cropping is awful, there is something seriously wrong with how this BD was cropped. The UK letter boxed VHS was in perfect 1.85 and very comfortable. Wish I still had that old tape to prove my point...
 “The cinema is an invention with no future…”     – Louis Lumière

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,618 posts

Posted May 29 2012 - 04:11 PM

Watched the HD DVD all the way through several months ago, and didn't see any framing problems. (Thankfully it's not among the rotted discs I've found.) Did they remaster this for Blu Ray and cock it up? And Tony, no post dubbed film is worse than Manos: The Hands of Fate. ;)

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,247 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 29 2012 - 05:01 PM

I've only seen the MST3K version of that. I think it really cheapens the quality of a movie when a dir does that. Pretty much takes me right out of the illusion. I think it may be why I hated westerns so much when I was a kid. At least for those Spanish westerns filmed by Leone because he would do the same thing.
facebook.com/whotony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users