Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Old Man's War" coming to film!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,339 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 24 2011 - 03:30 PM

http://whatever.scal...mans-war-movie/ The fantastic sci-fi book Old Man's War by the terrific author John Scalzi is coming to film! It's early. Producer and screenwriter are known, but that's it.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,402 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 24 2011 - 05:45 PM

Makes me nervous, because I like the book so much.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,717 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 05:32 AM

I've never read the book or even heard of it. It looks like Wolfgang Petersen is attached to the project. If he directs, I wonder which Petersen will show up? The one that directed the stellar Das Boot or the one that directed the shitfest Poseidon

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,339 posts

Posted February 27 2011 - 01:01 PM

Scalzi has commented, in his blog, that he's having worked as a film critic in various forms for a number of years, he's understands the risks of film conversions. And he held out for a good producer and likes Petersen's work.

I'm sure Scalzi wouldn't come out say that this is bound to be terrible and Petersen will ruin it...but from reading his blog, I don't think he'd be publicly optimistic if he was concerned about his book being ruined.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I love the book. And even I can think of two obvious, and standard, narrative frameworks to capture the story. They could go military sci-fi, and tell the war story. It can be taken as the travelogue movie -- that's what I like most about it, is the "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" aspect, where I'm given a tour of the galaxy.

I hope they capture the emotion of the main character. What killed "Transformers" for me is they lost the pathos of the incredible beings having lost their home and now fighting for a new one. Old Man's War could be a bog-standard, big-effects sci-fi movie and become like the dreadful Starship Troopers, losing everything good about the movie. If they can keep the essence of Old Man's War, it should be good, no matter how they adapt it.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,339 posts

Posted February 27 2011 - 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Edwin-S 

I've never read the book or even heard of it. It looks like Wolfgang Petersen is attached to the project. If he directs, I wonder which Petersen will show up? The one that directed the stellar Das Boot or the one that directed the shitfest Poseidon

If you like reading sci-fi, I highly recommend it. More importantly, so does Adam, I see :)

It's been compared to "Forever War", if you're familiar with that. They are different stories, different themes, but share some concepts.