Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Gettysburg Director's Cut and Gods and Generals Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,379 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 12:04 PM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,379 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   AlexS2

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 04:31 AM

An additional hour for G&G...? Uhhhh...well, Ill take the plunge and try it anyways. Im curious to see how it was re-cut since the PR is saying it was re-edited from beginning to end. Gettysburg is a guaranteed purchase obviously. Should we be worried about the PQ? I know this is blu-ray, but these are tremendously long running times to be fit on one single disc...

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 04:57 AM

Why is almost everything being released on Blu-ray as some kind of Anniversary - this is becoming a joke.

I guess the next anniversary releases will be the movies of stars who will celebrate their 100th birthday (even though they are dead!)

next year ever Paramount release will claim "100th Anniversary of Paramount Edition"

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 05:04 AM

I don't either.  I mean I'm not the average cinema goer, and perhaps my opinion isn't the best metric of the consumer masses, but I could give a damn whether it's the 50th, 100th, or 77th anniversary.  I just want to see titles I love released in a timely manner.  It pisses me off to think I'm going to have to wait until 2012 to see Lawrence of Arabia in Blu, if they keep up this goddamn pattern.  And if they do the same with Vertigo, we might not see that title until 2013.  Jesus Christ!

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted February 25 2011 - 05:41 AM

I'm definitely picking this up, but I don't think an HD Blu-ray is going to help with those beards any.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 25 2011 - 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

Why is almost everything being released on Blu-ray as some kind of Anniversary - this is becoming a joke.

I guess the next anniversary releases will be the movies of stars who will celebrate their 100th birthday (even though they are dead!)

next year ever Paramount release will claim "100th Anniversary of Paramount Edition"

Hey, at least we're getting some of these titles because of this marketing strategy.  Not even Gettysburg had the DC on DVD and now we're getting it on Blu-ray disc.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 25 2011 - 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 

I don't either.  I mean I'm not the average cinema goer, and perhaps my opinion isn't the best metric of the consumer masses, but I could give a damn whether it's the 50th, 100th, or 77th anniversary.  I just want to see titles I love released in a timely manner.  It pisses me off to think I'm going to have to wait until 2012 to see Lawrence of Arabia in Blu, if they keep up this goddamn pattern.  And if they do the same with Vertigo, we might not see that title until 2013.  Jesus Christ!

So do I, but it is, what it is.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 27 ONLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 09:30 AM

As usual, I do wish the theatrical cuts would be included as well, but these seem like nice packages. I imagine the Gettysburg director's cut is the same as what was released on laserdisc in the 90s (and I think it aired on TNT a few times).

I've actually never seen Gods and Generals all the way through, but I was working at a theater when it was first released. I remember the assembled print almost covered the entire platter. :)

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, you wonder why they couldn't do something like seamless branching on the Bladerunner discs.

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted February 26 2011 - 04:45 AM

But unless the studios can find ridiculous anniversary dates to exploit, films aren't released - If a film doesn't have an anniversary (at least WB goes back in history to find one - and it's stretch).

WB already missed the big 50th of "Ben Hur" - that was two years ago, so what are they waiting for now? Besides 500+ films will celebrate their 50th in the next 5 years, the "anniversary" thing is really not unique any more

Who want's to wait for a film to reach it's 25th anniversary which may not be until 2015 before it sees a blu-ray release

Besides the "anniversray" label quickly dates a blu-ray release (they only have 12 months or less to exploit then they have to change the cover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Hey, at least we're getting some of these titles because of this marketing strategy.  Not even Gettysburg had the DC on DVD and now we're getting it on Blu-ray disc.

Crawdaddy

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Steelheart1948

Steelheart1948

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 03:51 AM

There was supposed to be a third movie in the series called "Last Full Measure."  I've searched around but could never find it.  Did it ever get made?   If it did, does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of it?

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Felipe Noronha

Felipe Noronha

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

But unless the studios can find ridiculous anniversary dates to exploit, films aren't released - If a film doesn't have an anniversary (at least WB goes back in history to find one - and it's stretch).

WB already missed the big 50th of "Ben Hur" - that was two years ago, so what are they waiting for now? Besides 500+ films will celebrate their 50th in the next 5 years, the "anniversary" thing is really not unique any more

Who want's to wait for a film to reach it's 25th anniversary which may not be until 2015 before it sees a blu-ray release

Besides the "anniversray" label quickly dates a blu-ray release (they only have 12 months or less to exploit then they have to change the cover)

I think you're overeacting a little. We just got The color purple, 10 and pleasantville this year and it wasn't an anniversary edition. WB has already announced Papillon and The man who would be king and neither are anniversary editions. That being said, I just don't see your point.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 02:41 PM

Best Buy exclusive: Free glue-on moustache. Supply limited. Not really, but that's what should be.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 02:42 PM

Target exclusive: Free glue-on beard. Best Buy customers and Target customers convene in the north parking lot at dawn.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 01 2011 - 02:54 PM

Lord help us, they've tacked another hour onto a movie that was already 3 hours too long?

Originally Posted by Steelheart1948 

There was supposed to be a third movie in the series called "Last Full Measure."  I've searched around but could never find it.  Did it ever get made?   If it did, does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of it?

I don't think he ever got the financing for it.  My first thought on seeing this press release is that he's still trying to raise funds. :)

(Would YOU give money to the guy that inflicted Gods & Generals on the world?  Then again, Gettysburg was based on an incredible book, while G&G was based on what is by all accounts an inferior sequel written by the son of the original author, so I guess we can't put all the blame on Maxwell. . .)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,377 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 02 2011 - 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Lord help us, they've tacked another hour onto a movie that was already 3 hours too long?

I was thinking the same thing! I'm also probably going to buy it regardless, just out of curiosity.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,428 posts

Posted March 02 2011 - 05:29 AM

Hey, as a former Civil War freak, who played at Gettysburg as a kid, and took my own kid there when he was 10, too much is fine. Particularly if the extras include some updated docs about the battlefied, or even footage of some of the renactments. This year would be a great year to see them.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 02 2011 - 06:18 AM

I'm not sure I like this trend of releasing ONLY extended cuts in these premium packages. Sure, the books are nice, but it is the film itself that I'm interested in, and like Dances with Wolves, finding time to sit through these extended cuts is getting harder to do. Having the option to watch the original/theatrical cuts would be my preference in nearly all cases with Blade Runner being the prototype of what I would like in a release.

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,428 posts

Posted March 02 2011 - 07:04 AM

That's why I bought the UK version BD of "Dances With Wolves." It was the 3-hr theatrical cut. You're right, there's a reason for theatrical cuts being the definitive version (the studio forces the filmmakers to USE some restraint, otherwise all releases would be 4-hr. director cuts). From my memory, Gettysburg was never a tightly cut theatrical picture - it was already a bit bloated - so I'm in this more for watching it in pieces and checking out the extras.

Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer 

I'm not sure I like this trend of releasing ONLY extended cuts in these premium packages. Sure, the books are nice, but it is the film itself that I'm interested in, and like Dances with Wolves, finding time to sit through these extended cuts is getting harder to do. Having the option to watch the original/theatrical cuts would be my preference in nearly all cases with Blade Runner being the prototype of what I would like in a release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users