Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Lion wakes tonight

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 24 2011 - 06:52 AM

For those that missed it, Developers get a new preview of Lion and all signs are pointing to it being incredibly stable and seriously badass already. http://www.apple.com...2/24macosx.html http://developer.app.../whats-new.html http://www.macstorie...-mac-os-x-lion/ http://www.engadget....review-release/ http://www.appleinsi..._filevault.html http://techcrunch.co...x-lion-preview/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 08:43 AM

Looks like a nasty bug: http://www.tuaw.com/...trated-in-lion/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted February 24 2011 - 01:44 PM

Ha...it's the first developer preview and some dope is going to post something on YouTube like the sky is falling.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 01:03 AM

To be fair that does seem like a pretty annoying bug. Anywho... Ars initial thoughts (No siracusa on this one) http://arstechnica.c...lion-so-far.ars TRIM support added for SSDs (Good news!) http://www.cultofmac...erve-ssds/83662

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted February 27 2011 - 02:41 AM

Argh!  Apple Insider is reporting that Apple is dropping Front Row from Lion.

Please contact  Apple and tell them not to:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,096 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted February 27 2011 - 11:18 AM

Looks I'm out of luck as far as Lion goes. Word is it requires at least a Core 2 Duo Mac, which means my first gen Core Duo iMac won't be compatible. :(

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 10:17 AM

I always thought it was... unfortunate that there were a few 32-bit Intel systems at first. For whatever reason they decided not to wait until 64-bit Core 2 for their switch to Intel. For a while, that meant four different builds (PPC-32, PPC-64, Intel-32, Intel-64) for Universal Binary, and now this. Now going forward, only 64-bit Intel -- until maybe ARM comes into the picture.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,096 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted February 28 2011 - 12:09 PM

You can swap processors on the first gen iMac and replace it with a Core 2 Duo chip. I've thought about doing this and prolonging the ol' girl's lifespan. It's a tricky procedure. I've already had it apart a few times doing upgrades so it doesn't scare me. Still, it's already maxed out with 2 GB of RAM, which I imagine would be pushing it as far as Lion goes. I'll probably just eBay it and pick up the new Mac Mini. I originally planned on upgrading to the new iMac but right now I can't swing that financially. I think the Mini would do until I do some more consulting work later this year and buy a new iMac. Then I can just turn the Mini into a server. :)

#9 of 24 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,817 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 01 2011 - 05:22 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by Ted Todorov [url=/forum/thread/309109/the-lion-wakes-tonight#post_3785511]

It was a really cool demo, and I fooled with it when I first got my Mac. But for over three years since, I've not touched it. Maybe they'll replace it with something more useful?

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,246 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 06:18 AM

Copied from my iMac/Mac Pro anticipation thread:

This is more Lion related than hardware related but there is a rumor that Front Row is going away. I'd really like to see Apple create a front-end to iTunes that lets you take full advantage of iTunes' capabilities (album art, genius playlists, full navigation) so those of us who have an extra Mac laptop or mini can use it as an HTPC/media/music server. A full functioned remote, or an app for an iPhone that simulates a full function remote (with ability to fully control iTunes and of its functionality) would be a double-bonus.

I've liked the idea of Front Row for a while, but have been very unhappy with the functionality of the actual product. Whatever replaces Front Row should give you all access to iTunes functionality. Something as simple as changing the music to which a slideshow is presented shouldn't require workarounds. And there should be a good remote solution (whether standalone or an app for Touch/iPad/iPhone) which should make full control of the features possible and easy.

Originally Posted by DaveF [url=/forum/thread/309109/the-lion-wakes-tonight#post_3786289]

It was a really cool demo, and I fooled with it when I first got my Mac. But for over three years since, I've not touched it. Maybe they'll replace it with something more useful?

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 05:06 AM

VERY VERY long shot.  Speculation that the Apple Stores are moving to Lion this weekend.  Could Apple shock the world and be prepping to release Lion via digital download weeks before WWDC?  Signs say NO but something is definitely cooking in the retail stores this weekend. http://www.macrumors...oyees-revealed/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,246 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 06:45 AM

IIRC, given how the latest dev build of Lion still had a bunch of bugs (some in the very basic features like the options when you right clicked on the desktop) I'd be shocked AND awed if they moved to Lion this weekend. Still it wouldn't be the first time Jobs & Co. surprised the world...

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,284 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 07:32 AM

I am sooooo impatient for Lion. That revamped email is worth the upgrade alone. Been a long time since Apple cared about doing something with their email and it just looks wonderful. The only problem is, a lot of software manufacturers still don't have compatible upgrades ready.  Two big programs I use, 1Password and SnapzXPro don't even have betas for Lion yet. I doubt Lion will be available this soon with the recent reports leaked about bugs.  However, I do hope we won't have to wait past June to get our hands on a release. Still, what good is Lion if software you own won't work on it.  I mean, I could use one of the Lion OS X betas I have had for weeks now, but the programs I need to use daily just won't work on it. Usually it can take weeks after a new MAC OS introduction for the software companies to catch up. Oh, while I am here.... If you can't wait for a better mail experience I do recommend SPARROW MAIL.  It is as close as you can get to the new Apple Mail experience.  Really superb email program.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#14 of 24 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,817 posts

Posted May 20 2011 - 01:56 PM

Assuming current Adobe software won't be compatible, like with the snow leopard upgrade, we won't upgrade for a year.

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 12:52 PM

As sucky as 5.5 is you arent missing anything.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#16 of 24 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,817 posts

Posted May 23 2011 - 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

VERY VERY long shot.  Speculation that the Apple Stores are moving to Lion this weekend.  Could Apple shock the world and be prepping to release Lion via digital download weeks before WWDC?  Signs say NO but something is definitely cooking in the retail stores this weekend.

http://www.macrumors...oyees-revealed/

As we now know, the secretive hubbub was swapping printed product signs for dedicated iPad product signs.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,246 posts

Posted May 23 2011 - 03:53 PM

Sam - can you elaborate? I was getting set to buy 5.5 with my (hopefully) new Mac when the Pro is refreshed, but now your comment gives me pause.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

As sucky as 5.5 is you arent missing anything.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted May 23 2011 - 11:02 PM

I NEVER upgrade to a new OS until at least the .3 version is out. Way too much to work out and most let those without critical needs try it first anyway. Also, the best thing about waiting at least 6 months or so after it is out is some software has a chance to catch up. It is something I don't upgrade to unless the key programs I use are fully supported and that takes time.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,284 posts

Posted May 23 2011 - 11:21 PM

With WWDC only a few weeks away, I would expect Lion to be ready to go by the end of June. ...at least that is my hope. I also agree that it can take months for all the software developers to catch up, even though beta copies were available for them to test months prior to release.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#20 of 24 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,817 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

I also agree that it can take months for all the software

developers to catch up, even though beta copies were

available for them to test months prior to release.

With 10.6, I found the software I used was updated promptly. Even Logitech got their act together within six months. But Adobe required an upgrade to the newest CS version for 10.6 compatibility. At nearly $1000 for Adobe software, even a $29 OS upgrade is very expensive for my wife's computer. And for simplicity, I don't know that I'll upgrade my laptop to keep them in sync.

Perhaps Adobe won't be user hostile with the 10.7 upgrade. If so, I'll upgrade both computers sooner than later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users