Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Amazon VOD poor quality

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted February 23 2011 - 03:46 AM

I am a little unhappy with the quality I have gotten from Amazon streaming HD service. I had some coupons for free PPV from Amazon so I have given a couple a try. I am streaming using a Panasonic dmp-bd605 BR player connected through an Onkyo tx-sr805 to a Panasonic tcp-42S1 plasma. I watched Expendables in HD a couple weeks ago and thought it looked poor, certainly worse than an upconverted DVD through my BR player. Gave it another shot and watched A-Team which was borderline unacceptable to me. It was only 2 channel audio and the picture was very poor to be considered HD. Amazon had checked my bandwidth from their side which they measure at 5.5 Mbps which they said was plenty of bandwidth. I have AT&T DSL Elite which is 6.0 Mbps. Is the quality really that poor, or are my expectations too high for streaming?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 05:45 AM

Is the quality really that poor, or are my expectations too high for streaming? yes, and yes.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted February 23 2011 - 05:59 AM

That's what I was afraid of chuck.  Is Netflix any better? I've thought about signing up for it, but don't really have a way to stream it to my TV right now that makes me happy.  I don't want to use my Xbox 360 as it is of the fragile generation, and the Wii wouldn't be HD.  My Panny blu-ray player is a 2009 model that apparently Panasonic has decided not to make Netflix capable.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,211 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted February 23 2011 - 12:34 PM

My experience has been pretty good with Amazon and Netflix on my TIVO. With the TIVO, Amazon downloads the movie to the harddrive first. Netflix streams. I have a pretty good internet connection (25/15 FIOS) so that may be why I've had good results. Of course when I want to watch a good movie, I always get the bluray. Nothing compares (especially the sound)

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users