What's new

Best solution for buffering streaming video (1 Viewer)

jalryan

Auditioning
Real Name
Al Ryan
Newbie to the forum.

I have a new Vizio Tru-LED 55" as the anchor to my new basement system. I would like to watch more streaming video through the Vizio Internet Apps or an external device, but my Internet connectivity is an issue. I am using the hardwired ehternet connection versus the single channel wireless.

I live out in the country and my DSL service just isn't fast enough to watch streaming video without pretty constant buffering. Upgrading the Internet connection isn't really an option. What are my options for a device that I can use to "pre-load" the streaming content and eliminate the buffering?

Thanks

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
What you describe isn't streaming - it's downloading.

Streaming, by definition, is watching something while the download is still in progress. That requires a certain bandwidth threshold that is dependent on the quality and data rate of the file you are watching.

You should have been made aware of the bandwidth requirements (or researched it yourself) before purchasing the TV. Your options are limited if you're unable to improve your available bandwidth.

You can reduce the bandwidth required by reducing the quality of the streaming media (if that's an option from within your TV's settings). Watching 720p instead of 1080p and using lower-quality MPEG-2 encoding instead of MPEG-4 will help, but again - I'm not sure if you have these options available to you.

Alternatively, you could simply start the streaming process, then pause and wait for a good chunk of the content to download (if it continues downloading while paused). This will eliminate the buffering pauses while you watch, but means you have to wait a while before you can start watching.

If your TV is unable to stream given your bandwidth restrictions, you should research other streaming devices that will work with the bandwidth you have available. Sorry I can't offer specific examples, but if you can determine your downstream data rate I'm sure you can find a device that can provide some solution, though only at the quality level that your bandwidth will allow.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If your internet download speed doesn't meet the minimum requirement, your only option is to pause the movie at the beginning like Jason stated. BUT even doing that, it may not be enough. I don't know if any DSL service is fast enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks