Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best solution for buffering streaming video

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   jalryan

jalryan

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 02:17 AM

Newbie to the forum. I have a new Vizio Tru-LED 55" as the anchor to my new basement system.  I would like to watch more streaming video through the Vizio Internet Apps or an external device, but my Internet connectivity is an issue.  I am using the hardwired ehternet connection versus the single channel wireless. I live out in the country and my DSL service just isn't fast enough to watch streaming video without pretty constant buffering.  Upgrading the Internet connection isn't really an option.  What are my options for a device that I can use to "pre-load" the streaming content and eliminate the buffering? Thanks

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,163 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted February 23 2011 - 02:57 AM

What you describe isn't streaming - it's downloading. Streaming, by definition, is watching something while the download is still in progress.  That requires a certain bandwidth threshold that is dependent on the quality and data rate of the file you are watching. You should have been made aware of the bandwidth requirements (or researched it yourself) before purchasing the TV.  Your options are limited if you're unable to improve your available bandwidth. You can reduce the bandwidth required by reducing the quality of the streaming media (if that's an option from within your TV's settings).  Watching 720p instead of 1080p and using lower-quality MPEG-2 encoding instead of MPEG-4 will help, but again - I'm not sure if you have these options available to you. Alternatively, you could simply start the streaming process, then pause and wait for a good chunk of the content to download (if it continues downloading while paused).  This will eliminate the buffering pauses while you watch, but means you have to wait a while before you can start watching. If your TV is unable to stream given your bandwidth restrictions, you should research other streaming devices that will work with the bandwidth you have available.  Sorry I can't offer specific examples, but if you can determine your downstream data rate I'm sure you can find a device that can provide some solution, though only at the quality level that your bandwidth will allow.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,712 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 23 2011 - 07:55 AM

If your internet download speed doesn't meet the minimum requirement, your only option is to pause the movie at the beginning like Jason stated. BUT even doing that, it may not be enough. I don't know if any DSL service is fast enough.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert123

Robert123

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 25 2011 - 12:10 AM

http://www.greenerstep.com/

Thank you for taking to time to prepare such an informative and enlightening post.
Thanks

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   aartisharma

aartisharma

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for sharing this information.... Binders Medical School Admissions Binary Options Trading Learning Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users