Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MPI Press Release: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,876 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 01:16 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

THE MOST BELOVED MOVIES ABOUT THE GREATEST SLEUTH OF ALL TIME ARE TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ONE MAGNIFICENT BLU-RAY SET

SHERLOCK HOLMES:THE COMPLETE COLLECTION

All 14 Films Starring the Legendary Basil Rathbone Are Available on Five Blu-ray Discs

For the First Time This Must-Have Set Arrives on March 29, 2011

New York, NY  The tremendous critical and box-office success of Guy Ritchie’s recentSherlock Holmes, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, has sparked renewed interest in all things Holmes – and it all rests on the 14 classic Holmes mysteries from Hollywood’s Golden Age starring the inimitable Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. On March 29, 2011, MPI Home Video will release the definitive, high-definitionSHERLOCK HOLMES: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION, a five-disc Blu-ray set containing all 14 films. The handsomely packaged box set, which includes hours of bonus material, will carry a fan-friendly SRP of $129.98.

This one-of-a-kind collection marks the first time all of the films have been available on Blu-ray, and it features the dozen Holmes movies digitally restored and remastered by the UCLA Film & Television Archive.

South African-born British actor Basil Rathbone was a star of such classics as The Adventures of Robin Hood, David Copperfield and Romeo and Juliet before achieving screen immortality playing Arthur Conan Doyle’s brilliant Holmes, beginning with The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in 1939. Those instant hits led to 12 more mind-bending mysteries over the next seven years, each also starring Nigel Bruce (Alfred Hitchcock’s Suspicion) as Holmes’ loyal, if often befuddled, friend Dr. Watson.

While several of the Rathbone movies were based on Conan Doyle’s original stories, others pitted Holmes against contemporary villains, including the Nazis. But Rathbone’s personification of literature’s most famous crime solver remained a constant source of wonder and delight throughout the series.

Included in SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION are:

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)

Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942)

Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (1943)

Sherlock Holmes in Washington (1943)

Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943)

The Spider Woman (1944)

The Scarlet Claw (1944)

The Pearl of Death (1944)

The House of Fear (1945)

The Woman in Green (1945)

Pursuit to Algiers (1945)

Terror by Night (1945)

Dressed to Kill (1946)

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 5 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,840 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 24 2011 - 12:45 AM

Pre-ordered the day it went up on Amazon Posted Image , but this got me thinking, what are the chances that the other studios will ever get around to larger series, with Sherlock Holmes being released, makes me wonder if Fox has any plans to go back and readdress the Chan’s in HD, and before the deal with MGM is up would be a bonus; If they can get the original titles that came out in the Chanathology as well.

Think if it was to happen, the best route to go would be sequentially, and I understand that there are some lost films.  But the rest were recently restored, and the dvd sets were from HD masters, or so the restoration bonus features show. Just a game of wait and see at this point.  

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 5 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,644 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 02 2011 - 04:08 AM

Nearly picked a couple of the Legend Films releases from Big Lots yesterday.  If I had they would have gone back.

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#4 of 5 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 02 2011 - 06:57 AM

Nearly picked a couple of the Legend Films releases from Big Lots yesterday.  If I had they would have gone back.

reason?

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 5 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,644 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 03 2011 - 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970 

reason?

I'd rather have this blu ray set.  if the Legend had some "Film Crew" or Rifftrax fun I'd get those too.  ;)

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow