What's new

Anybody tried Dr Pepper 10 yet? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm curious as to how it tastes. I've tried numerous times to switch to diet sodas, but the aftertaste always does me in. Coke used to sell C2, which I thought was pretty darn close to the original but unfortunately is no longer sold around these parts. If Dr Pepper 10 is like C2, then I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes, A&W is a good one. As is the Dr Pepper diet.

Don't remember what C2 is. I'm a lifelong Coca-Cola drinker but I don't think I ever tried that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I drink Coke Zero. It's the least intolerable diet soda I've found. But I've never cared for Dr. P., so no comment on its diet version.

What I can't figure are the Coke Zero ads that claim it's indistinguishable from Coke. Even the best diet is very different from a normal soda.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Chas in CT said:
Yes, A&W is a good one. As is the Dr Pepper diet.

Don't remember what C2 is. I'm a lifelong Coca-Cola drinker but I don't think I ever tried that.
It was released a few years ago. I think it was half the calories of regular Coke and was a mixture of HFCS and artificial sweetener.
Jim Mcc said:
I've never found a diet Cola I liked.
Same here. I've tried and tried but I just can't make the switch.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh okay, I know what you mean now. (C2) Never tried it, though.

No, neither Coke Zero nor any other diet version of a drink tastes exactly like its "real" counterpart, but the formulation of Zero was a godsend in getting one hell of a lot closer to the real thing than Diet Coke -- which, after, all, was the model for New Coke, and never intended to be a close match to Classic -- ever was.

Coke Zero, in the plastic (ugh) half-liter bottle, is my number one soft drink at home. I also keep a stash of glass-bottle real-sugar Mexican Cokes around for a fabulous treat now and then. There's another thread somewhere in which we've gone on about this at length.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DaveF said:
Coca-cola bottled in Mexico uses sugar-cane sugar, not HFCS.
There's some debate about this. The label says sugar not cane sugar. I've seen it on another board some people claim that if it doesn't say cane then it's beet sugar. Is Dr Pepper 10 a diet soda? Strangely enough I still have a case of C2 in my laundry room.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok. "According to the company, Dr Pepper Ten was developed with a “one-of-a-kind, proprietary sweetener technology to deliver the taste experience of regular with just 10 bold calories.” Dave Fleming, spokesman for the company in Plano, Texas, said that though many people liked the taste of diet soda, research showed some men thought they were giving something up when they drank a diet product. Dr Pepper Ten is being rolled out locally at Super Target, Walmart and other groceries. In March the company will bring in a mobile “man cave,” a temporary hangout with video games and other entertainments, as well as free samples of Dr Pepper Ten. It will stop at what the company called “testosterone zones” yet to be named. Readers, do you have some suggestions? Dr Pepper Ten also will be tested in Des Moines, Iowa; Austin, Texas; Denver; Colorado Springs, Colo.; and San Antonio."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jim Mcc said:
What a bunch of marketing crap. Sugar is sugar. Same thing. Quote: Originally Posted by DaveF link The main thing is it's sucrose, not fructose, in Mexican cola.
It's not marketing as Coke doesn't advertise that different regions use different sugar sources. And it's not crap, it's chemistry. Sucrose and fructose are different and taste different. Buy, say, Pepsi and Pepsi Throwback and do a blind taste test to judge for yourself. (I'm not saying anything about whether HFCS is worse for us or which tastes better.) But these are different sugars, chemically and practically.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jim Mcc said:
What a bunch of marketing crap. Sugar is sugar. Same thing.

Uninformed. I don't pretend to be an expert on sugar. Certainly found the movie King Of Corn very interesting.
DaveF said:
The main thing is it's sucrose, not fructose, in Mexican cola.
Agreed. What I know about the taste is that real sugar, not the hfcs tastes better in my mouth. After pepsi statrted the throwback I havent been able to drink hfcs soda since. When I do it leaves a bad aftertaste and the soda just tastes like syrup to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I did a simple blind taste test at home on Pepsi and Mt. Dew: I prefer the HFCS version. It's what I'm used to.

But I'll buy the Mexican Coke in glass bottles if I see it at a restaurant, because it's fun :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
A friend of mine runs a popular beverage review blog, and he said he prefers both regular and Diet Dr. Pepper to 10.

I'm a Zero person myself, plus Diet Squirt, but that's impossible to get here, so I have to bring some back every time I travel.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I enjoy Dr. Pepper. I will not drink diet anything, so I really have nothing to offer on that subject. A co-worker of mine once told me that as a kid he use to drink Dr. Pepper served hot. His mother use to bring it to a slow boil on the stove and then serve it up in a mug. I tried it and I must say... not bad! I was for the longest time a loyal wild cherry Pepsi drinker, until I discovered cherry Dr. Pepper.

Mexican Coke is good. The Mexican Coke I remember growing up with was actually made with cane sugar. I thought the stuff sold at Costco was made with cane sugar but I could be wrong.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Apparently Dr. Pepper 10 is being rolled out nationally as it's just appeared here in Indianapolis. I picked up a case and tried it and I'm really surprised how much I like it. It certainly tastes closer to regular Dr. Pepper than the Diet does. It has far less of that bitter aftertaste. The people who drink Diet Dr. Pepper on a regular basis may not like it as much since they've developed a taste for it (much like many people prefer Diet Coke to Coke Zero even though Zero tastes closer to regular Coca-Cola. I've always hated the fact that our choices have been either 150-170 calories for regular soda or 0 for diet. Those calories with the regular soda can add up pretty quick. I'm really looking forward to Pepsi Next, which is another hybrid but it has 60 calories per can. That's a nice balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks