Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there such a thing as an upscaling VCR?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   -450-

-450-

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted February 20 2011 - 05:48 PM

Are there any upscaling VCR units?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 21 2011 - 12:00 PM

Never heard of one.    I would imagine with low resolution and relative high noise level it wouldn't look all that much better than just letting your TV upscale the picture unless you want to invest in some sort of major external scaling device.   Then again, I've never noticed all that much of an improvement with having the DVD upscale the video vs letting my sets do the conversion -- never tried an OPPO, but pretty much ever medium level DVD looks about the same and sometimes worse.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,894 posts

Posted February 22 2011 - 07:15 AM

Yup, better off getting a receiver that will do some upscaling for SD video sources, than to go looking for a relic (VCR) with video upscaling capabilities.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 28 2011 - 07:09 AM

Or, you could go for one of these: http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/It's the Panasonic BD-70, produced in 2009.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert