What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-22-2011 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
600x342px-LL-MikesRoundUp.jpg

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Features[/COLOR]

– Megamind – 2010

– Tony Curtis & Burt Lancaster (Sweet Smell of Success – 1957)

–Robert Downey, Jr. and friend (Due Date – 2010)

–Robert Duvall, Lucas Black & Bill Murray (Get Low– 2010)

–Guy Pearce & Carrie-Anne Moss (Memento– 2001)

–Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert – 2010

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Prices[/COLOR]

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]SD-DVD TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Target[/COLOR]

Alien vs. Ninja

$17.49

$19.99

Birdemic: Shock and Terror

$12.99

$12.99

Black Lightning

$21.99

Change of Plans

$22.49
ir

$19.99

DCU All-Star Superman (1-disc)

$14.99
ir

$13.99

$12.99

DCU All-Star Superman (2-disc)

$16.99
ir

$19.99

Due Date

$13.99
ir

$13.99

$16.99

Fish Tank (CC)

$21.99
ir

$24.99

Get Low

$16.99
ir

$16.99

Have Gun Will Travel: Season 5 Volume 2

$29.99
ir

$34.99

Huge: The Complete Series

$21.99
ir

Last Train Home

$27.49
ir

$24.99

Leaving

$19.99
ir

$19.99

Les Miserables (25th Anniversary Concert)

$19.99
ir

$24.99

Megamind (2-25-11 Release)

$13.99
ir

$13.99

$16.99

Megamind Two-Pack (2-25-11 Release)

$22.99
ir

$19.99

$22.99

Mesrine: Killer Instinct Part 1

$26.99
ir

Nurse Jackie: Season 2

$28.99
ir

$34.99

$24.99

Psych: 9

$15.99
ir

$14.99

Room in Rome

$20.99
ir

Senso (CC)

$21.99
ir

$24.99

Stieg Larsson's Dragon Tattoo Trilogy

$34.99
ir

$49.99

Survivor: Season 20 (Heroes vs. Villains)

$31.49
ir

Sweet Smell of Success (CC)

$21.99
ir

$34.99

Sword of War

$20.99
ir

$24.99

Two in the Wave

$26.99
ir

$24.99

Weeds: Season 6

$23.99
ir

$23.99

$24.99

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.
[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]BLU-RAY TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]Target[/COLOR]

48 Hrs.

$17.99

Alien vs. Ninja

$19.49

$24.99

Birdemic: Shock and Terror

$16.49

$24.99

DCU All-Star Superman (Combo Pack)

$17.49

$19.99

$17.99

Due Date (Combo Pack)

$24.99

$24.99

$24.99

Fish Tank (CC)

$24.99

$34.99

Get Low

$24.99

$25.99

The Last Unicorn (Combo Pack)

$14.99

$17.99

Les Miserables (25th Anniversary Concert)

$26.99

$34.99

Megamind (Combo Pack) (2-25-11 Release)

$19.99

$19.99

$22.99

Memento (10th Anniversary Edition)

$14.99

$16.99

Mesrine: Killer Instinct Part 1

$25.49

Nurse Jackie: Season 2

$32.99

$34.99

$24.99

Psych: 9

$20.99

$24.99

Senso (CC)

$24.99

$34.99

Stieg Larsson's Dragon Tattoo Trilogy

$46.99

$64.99

Sweet Smell of Success (CC)

$24.99

$34.99

Weeds: Season 6

$25.99

$25.99

$24.99

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

Essential Art House: Kurosawa Collection (DVD): Hidden Fortress, Ikiru, Throne of Blood.

The Magnificent Seven Collection (Blu-ray): The Magnificent Seven, Return of the Seven, Guns of the Magnificent Seven, The Magnificent Seven Ride!.

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Disclaimer[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp[/COLOR]. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain!
If there is a title not included in the [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]RoundUp[/COLOR] that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]RoundUp[/COLOR]. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Specials[/COLOR]

--The Megamind DVD two-pack includes the film Megamind and a "new adventure" called Megamind: The Button of Doom.

--Amazon, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE RELEASE OF DCU ALL-STAR SUPERMAN on DVD for $20.99
ir
. The exclusive includes a lithograph cel.

--Best Buy has, this week, its own EXCLUSIVE DCU ALL-STAR SUPERMAN RELEASE on Blu-ray for $19.99. The Best Buy release includes a Superman figurine. Figurine available with Blu-ray movie version only. Minimum of 2 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy has the following titles on sale this week ($13.99 Blu-ray/$8.99 DVD). Find Over 30 MORE of your favorites on sale in store or online. Toy Story 3, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Let Me In, Legend of the Guardians, The Last Exorcism, Family Guy: It's a Trap, Sex and the City 2.

The following titles are also on sale at BB this week ($16.99 Blu-ray/$11.99 DVD): The Social Network, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, The A-Team, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Shrek: Final Chapter, Alice in Wonderland (2009), How to Train Your Dragon, Beauty and the Beast.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Target is showing an EXCLUSIVE DVD RELEASE OF DORA'S BALLET ADVENTURES for $12.99.

--At Target this week The following Blu-ray titles are on sale:

$10.00: Office Space, The Terminator, Super Troopers.

$19.99: Knight and Day, The Social Network, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $4.75 DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks Mike. Its interesting that Megamind is releasing on Friday. I think this will be an animated week for me. Megamind and The Last Unicorn. I already have Scott Pilgrim otherwise I would jump on the $13.99 sale. It gets even better every time I watch it....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Aaaah! My waiting looks to finally pay off on that Scott Pilgrim BD. Niiiice...

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Releasing a family animated film on DVD on a Friday isn't totally without precedent. Shrek was released 11.2.01, a Friday. Shrek 2 was 11.05.04 (Friday). How to Train Your Dragon was 10.15.10, a Friday. Apparently this release strategy seems to work or else they wouldn't still be doing it.

All-Star Superman for sure, but that's it until MegaMind comes down.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
My youngest daughter is a Freshman in high school and she is enrolled in American Sign Language (ASL) for her foreign language requirement. The ASL classes at her school have been eagerly anticipating one of this week's new releases: See What I'm Saying. It will be released on Tuesday 02/22/2011 on DVD (no Blu-ray release).

Synopsis (coutesy of RottenTomatoes.com):

SEE WHAT I'M SAYING follows the journeys of four deaf entertainers through a single year as their stories intertwine and cumulate in some of the largest events of their lives. Bob, a drummer in the world's only deaf rock band Beethoven's Nightmare, produces the largest show in the band's 30 year history; CJ, a comic known around the deaf world but unknown to hearing people fights to cross over to mainstream audiences by producing the first international sign language theatre festival in Los Angeles; Robert, a brilliant actor who teaches at Juilliard struggles to survive when he becomes homeless; and TL, a hard of hearing singer is caught between two worlds when she produces her first CD "Not Deaf Enough." The documentary is the first commercial American film to be fully subtitled for the country's 30 million deaf and hard of hearing and to open the door into deaf culture for those who are "signing impaired." On Deaf Culture Deaf culture is unique. Out of the nearly 30 million deaf and hard of hearing Americans, only 10% have a parent who is deaf, making deaf culture one of the only heritages in the world that is rarely handed down from parents to children. Deaf culture is composed of a community of people who consider deafness to be a difference in human experience rather than a disability. There are deaf entertainers within the community who perform mostly for deaf audiences, many of whom are trying to cross over to the mainstream. This film is about four of those entertainers.

DVD Pricing:

I'll be picking up Megamind this week on Blu-ray. Considering Memento on Blu-ray and maybe a blind buy on Scott Pilgrim.

Thank you as always Mike!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Is that Memento price a typo? Seems too good to be true. I see it listed as $16.99 on the BB website, and it doesn't show up anywhere in the weekly ad. Where did that price come from?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jason_V

Releasing a family animated film on DVD on a Friday isn't totally without precedent. Shrek was released 11.2.01, a Friday. Shrek 2 was 11.05.04 (Friday). How to Train Your Dragon was 10.15.10, a Friday. Apparently this release strategy seems to work or else they wouldn't still be doing it.

All-Star Superman for sure, but that's it until MegaMind comes down.

Those are all Dreamworks titles too. Interesting...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ManW_TheUncool said:
Aaaah! My waiting looks to finally pay off on that Scott Pilgrim BD. Niiiice...

_Man_
Adam Gregorich said:
Those are all Dreamworks titles too.  Interesting...
Friday releases aren't all that unusual. Well unless 3-5 a year is unusual I guess. Also what makes you think they are waiting 'till friday. I see it as releasing it early and not waiting until the following tuesday.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers + $1.90 shipping [/list]
I'll be picking up Megamind this week on Blu-ray. Considering Memento on Blu-ray and maybe a blind buy on Scott Pilgrim.

Thank you as always Mike!

I saw this title in the Netflix New Releases today, but now I will definitely be renting it. LOVE a good doc, this one sounds interesting and I'll see how much of the ASL I learned 15 years ago is still in tact!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert is on it's way to me from Amazon. I saw it a couple of days ago at a local retailer (I love getting an early "want" like that...but it was priced at $39.99! [/url]

Is that Memento price a typo? Seems too good to be true. I see it listed as $16.99 on the BB website, and it doesn't show up anywhere in the weekly ad. Where did that price come from?

[/quote]
I just checked my handwritten notes from my paperwork, I had written down $12.99 from bb.com Jeff. They must have upped the price since I got that price (not an unheard of thing for them to do).

I'll change the price in the table.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Oh. And I am ALL OVER Nurse Jackie: S2 for $24.99 at Target. It seems like forever since season 1 was released.

Not your imagination -- it's been a full year! I'm working on the review, but the quality, both technical and otherwise, is commensurate with the first season.

Regarding the Memento pricing: I believe Lionsgate is also releasing a DVD version of the 10th anniversary edition, but not every retailer carries it. (Amazon, for example, doesn't seem to.) If BB has it, the $12.99 may have been intended to apply to the DVD.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Weeds on Blu for me. And for the record I am sick of this whole "Tuesday is release day" B.S.

People shop on weekends; just like movies change on Friday, new releases should come out on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Probably Sunday since that is what stores are used to for every other item aside from movies and music.

If I had a genie with infinite wishes, this Tuesday system would kicked down immediately.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hm. . .Scott Pilgrim is engaged in a brutal death struggle with my $10 movie-buying limit. And he's got a secret weapon in my BB gift card. Megamind too. Stay strong!!!

That documentary sounds pretty interesting. On the other hand, I have very serious issues with the "Deaf Culture" movement (this is not really the place for that discussion).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've always kinda wondered about the Tuesday release date thing.

Maybe it's because they want to drive traffic into stores mid-week?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks