Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I Am Number Four - quick review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted February 19 2011 - 01:36 PM

The film has a somewhat decent premise, (where 9 alien kids from another planets, along with an assigned protector, are hiding out on earth on various continents far apart from one another.  One by one, the children are being hunted down by another race from their planet to exterminate them, and their bloodline, which passes down powers, or legacies, from parent to child), though just bits of the alien kids backstory is hinted at here and there.

The first 2 acts provide some introduction to Number 4, as the first 3 have been terminated, so #4 and his protector go on the run, and end up in Ohio.  The opening and middle acts are pretty much by-the-book, and uninspired teenage high school drama, but the final act delivers quite a lot of action and use of powers in a showdown between him, his new friends, and the bad guys.

As a set-up for a franchise of such films, I just don't know if we'll see another follow-up due to box office performance.  Time will tell.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 19 2011 - 02:03 PM

The background on the book is pretty interesting, coming from James Frey and his questionable writer subcontracting.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 21 2011 - 05:08 AM

Here's an interesting article on that topic:

http://nymag.com/art...features/69474/

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted February 21 2011 - 02:44 PM

If I had known that James Frey was involved, I wouldn't have gone to see it.  As it is, it's a mish-mash of elements borrowed from other fantasy/teen stories.  The best thing about it, in my opinion, are the bad aliens, who are very goofy and fun.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,748 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 06:21 AM

A Shit film that should be avoided.  Worth walking out on if you didn't know any better.

Fucking horrible!

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

Fucking horrible!

I'd reserved those words for the truly horrific: Big Momma 3

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

A Shit film that should be avoided.  Worth walking out on if you didn't know any better.

Fucking horrible!

It wasn't that bad, but yeah it had it's moments.  I wouldn't recommend it at this point either lol.

My DVD Collection

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   lucas27

lucas27

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 27 2011 - 05:50 PM

nice post thanks for sharing

house md box set
mad men dvd

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   monikaz1

monikaz1

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 11:12 PM

I watch this movie and the movies was fantastic and entertaining. Story was also too good. i like this movie.

Download I saw the devil movie

Watch carmen 3d movie online

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   monikaz1

monikaz1

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted March 01 2011 - 11:15 PM

I watch this movie and the movies was fantastic and entertaining. Story was also too good. i like this movie.

Download I saw the devil movie

Watch carmen 3d movie online

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   HollywoodSteve

HollywoodSteve

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 17 2011 - 06:47 AM

I didn't think it was that bad, the reason being is that it is quite straight forward, and easy to follow. I don't mean that as a reason in itself, but when we we are inundated with movies that make NO sense (the Pirates movies, Transformers, etc.) it's kinda nice to see a movie that has a beginning, middle and an open end. For the sequel that won't come, but still.

I am gonna check it out again next week when it comes out on demand. I think DirecTV will have it. Probably all the others too. Worth a watch. Dianna Agron, just sayin'!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   music613

music613

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted June 05 2011 - 06:14 AM

I'd call this a good looking, reasonably well made if pedestrian variation on familiar themes. Don't be too hard on it - it doesn't aim to be anything more than your basic popcorn film - and if you can approach it that way then it fulfills its mission. Clichés? Well, what do you expect from our genuine rank junk culture, anyway? Profundity? Insight? Deep thinking? David Mamet? Eugene Ionesco? Ray Bradbury? Robert Heinlein? Isaac Asimov? Set up for a continuation? Of course - and how many other sci-fi and fantasy films of late have done the same thing?