Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: MEMENTO, 10th Anniversary Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 18 2011 - 04:21 PM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,019 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 18 2011 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the review Mike.  In my case I think I replaced my DVD with the original Sony BD, not taking into account the extras.  It sounds like this version would be a noticeable upgrade.  Looking at the missing features, the only one that sounds interesting is the chronological edit of the film.  How worthwhile is that feature?

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 18 2011 - 05:09 PM

Some people really value the chronological edit, but personally I've never cared enough about it even to look at the feature. To me, chronological ordering of events would defeat the whole point. As indicated by Nolan in a recent interview, he resisted any attempt to reorder the script when they were making the film and only put the chronological cut onto the DVD special edition as a hidden extra because he was intrigued by the first few minutes of it.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,996 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 21 2011 - 02:57 AM

I need to rewatch Memento; it's been some years. I recall after my home viewing that it made a great deal more sense. I felt that the story was told fully, and there was a fairly unambiguous revelation of everyone was. It's disappointing that the Blu-ray is missing the previews. It seems this was a movie with really good trailers that would be fun to re-watch. Will put this on my list of movies to maybe re-buy when I'm in the mood for a re-watch.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,428 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 21 2011 - 03:06 AM

Given the reduction in extras, I'm not jumping for this one, at least not anytime soon, because there are many higher priorities waiting for my dollars.  I love the film, but the picture improvements as described don't sound all that essential for me right now.  This might be a failing on my part, but even in the theater I never thought of Memento as a strikingly "beautifully" shot film demanding of the nth degree of Blu-ray perfection.  (I feel the same way about films like 28 Days Later.)

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 21 2011 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the review, Michael and especially for touching on the black & white scene debate.  In viewing the recent one-day-only Memento theater release, I paid particular attention the B&W scenes because of the discussions about them and while they definitely looked "fuzzier" (less defined) to me, they didn't look THAT bad and it appeared to be a stylistic decision.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Reda 

Thanks for the review, Michael and especially for touching on the black & white scene debate.  

My pleasure, Ron. Thanks for flagging it for me.

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Given the reduction in extras, I'm not jumping for this one, at least not anytime soon, because there are many higher priorities waiting for my dollars.  I love the film, but the picture improvements as described don't sound all that essential for me right now.  This might be a failing on my part, but even in the theater I never thought of Memento as a strikingly "beautifully" shot film demanding of the nth degree of Blu-ray perfection.  (I feel the same way about films like 28 Days Later.)

That's an understandable position, especially if one already has the Sony Blu-ray. The visual improvements on the new Blu-ray, while very obvious, aren't so dazzling as to demand an upgrade.

I'd disagree, though, about Memento being a beautifully shot film (though obviously such things are matters of personal taste). Memento was the first time that Nolan worked with DP Wally Pfister, and it established an ongoing collaboration that produced five more films (and counting). Pfister is a rarity among contemporary cinematographers. He operates the camera whenever possible, and (so far at least) he refuses to use digital intermediates, relying on traditional tools of lighting and photochemical processing. To me, there's an old-fashioned tactile subtlety about his work -- whether it's the cityscapes of the Batman films, the snow in Insomnia, or the odd angles of Memento -- that requires Blu-ray's resolution to convey fully. DVD just doesn't cut it.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,428 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 23 2011 - 02:49 AM

I didn't know that.  Thanks!

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

My pleasure, Ron. Thanks for flagging it for me.

That's an understandable position, especially if one already has the Sony Blu-ray. The visual improvements on the new Blu-ray, while very obvious, aren't so dazzling as to demand an upgrade.

I'd disagree, though, about Memento being a beautifully shot film (though obviously such things are matters of personal taste). Memento was the first time that Nolan worked with DP Wally Pfister, and it established an ongoing collaboration that produced five more films (and counting). Pfister is a rarity among contemporary cinematographers. He operates the camera whenever possible, and (so far at least) he refuses to use digital intermediates, relying on traditional tools of lighting and photochemical processing. To me, there's an old-fashioned tactile subtlety about his work -- whether it's the cityscapes of the Batman films, the snow in Insomnia, or the odd angles of Memento -- that requires Blu-ray's resolution to convey fully. DVD just doesn't cut it.

No problem, I figured there'd be a few folks in my boat that were looking to upgrade their Sony version if the remaster warranted it.

I agree (but also agree that it's a matter of taste) that Nolan's films are beautifully shot.  There are always at least several shots during every Nolan film I watch on Blu-ray where I am in awe of what I am seeing on the screen.

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted February 24 2011 - 02:53 PM

I have the Sony, but after seeing this, I'm hesitant to pick up the new version.  Were the B&W scenes DNR'd to bring them closer to the finer-grained color scenes?  A lighter hand would have been preferred.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Felix Martinez 

I have the Sony, but after seeing this, I'm hesitant to pick up the new version.  Were the B&W scenes DNR'd to bring them closer to the finer-grained color scenes?  A lighter hand would have been preferred.

If I'd seen evidence of DNR, I would have said so. In motion, the B&W sequences do not have the artificially smoothed appearance indicative of noise reduction. However, my video evaluation acknowledges a reduction of fine detail in the B&W sequences, with a corresponding gain in contrast and hard edges. This appears to me to be a deliberate choice and an appropriate effect.

I'm not sure what to make of those comparisons, but I'm always dubious when the screenshots to be compared are different sizes, even by a small amount. To my eye, there's more difference between the screenshots than between the actual discs.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,428 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 01 2011 - 07:46 AM

Saw this today at Costco for $7.99, and grabbed it.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 08 2011 - 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Saw this today at Costco for $7.99, and grabbed it.

Nice price, I wish I had waited although my previous Sony version fetched me $12 on the used market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users