Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Monopoly - Skynet Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,651 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 16 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hey, I love electronic gadgets as much as anybody on the planet, but this sounds just horrible:

http://blog.games.ya...sense-computer/

Is there anybody out there who thinks this would be fun??

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,554 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 16 2011 - 03:28 PM

Sounds cool to me. I love Monoploy and there's a very good chance I'll buy this or get it for a gift.
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted February 17 2011 - 02:16 AM

Performing calculations and tracking things according to a strict set of rules are exactly the sorts of things computers are good at.  I love board games, but having to do that stuff manually is pointless.  It's not actually a part of the gameplay, it's just another layer of work that stands between me and the game itself.  I think this sounds like a great idea.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,505 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 17 2011 - 08:43 AM

Is there anyone who thinks Monopoly is fun? The ideal version of monopoly would be fully computerized, completely playing itself so I don't need to be involved at all. Better yet, every copy of that game ought to be replaced by something enjoyable like Settlers of Catan.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,342 posts
  • Location"on a little street in Singapore"

Posted February 17 2011 - 06:02 PM

There are already PC versions of Monopoly -- it's pretty old in fact, isn't it?  And IIRC a PS3 version was released recently.  I guess this is a way of recreating some of the board game element as compared to a purely digital (i.e. electrons and pixels only) version, like the PC and console games. I used to play a lot of History of the World, but never did try the PC version.  Haven't gotten around to Settlers of Catan, though.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,505 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 18 2011 - 02:34 AM

http://www.wired.com...currentPage=all

But part of the reason we don't play much Risk and Monopoly as adults is that those are actually poorly designed games, at least in the German sense. Derk Solko, a garrulous former Wall Streeter who cofounded the Web site BoardGameGeek.com in 2000 after discovering Settlers, explains it this way: "Monopoly has you grinding your opponents into dust. It's a very negative experience. It's all about cackling when your opponent lands on your space and you get to take all their money." Monopoly, in fact, is a classic example of what economists call a zero-sum game. For me to gain $100, you have to lose $100. For me to win, you have to be bankrupt. Gouging and exploiting may be perfect for humiliating your siblings, but they're not so great for relaxing with friends.

German-style games, on the other hand, avoid direct conflict. Violence in particular is taboo in Germany's gaming culture, a holdover from decades of post-World War II soul-searching. [...]

Instead of direct conflict, German-style games tend to let players win without having to undercut or destroy their friends. This keeps the game fun, even for those who eventually fall behind. Designed with busy parents in mind, German games also tend to be fast, requiring anywhere from 15 minutes to a little more than an hour to complete. They are balanced, preventing one person from running away with the game while the others painfully play out their eventual defeat. And the best ones stay fresh and interesting game after game.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,369 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 19 2011 - 02:31 AM

part of the attraction of Monopoly for kids (and for parents to encourage kids) is the counting of the money, and other mathematics involved during the game play. dont mess with it!! As an adult --- I HATE THIS GAME !! (unless playing kids that are learning how to add etc).

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,222 posts

Posted February 19 2011 - 05:40 AM

I used to love playing Monopoly when I was a teen, and always preferred playing by the instruction manual. The whole house rules thing, which tends to cause arguments, is why I lost interest in this game (along with UNO). The only house rule that I was okay with, was once all the properties were bought, with none owning all of the ones of the same color, people have to trade, otherwise the game would go on forever.

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - May
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users