-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DOH! This one doesn't connect that way...5.1 audio and HDMI video

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 keithling

keithling

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted February 14 2011 - 04:46 PM

I have a OPPO 981 player that handles 5.1 discs like DVD-A, SACD, and DTS. For Christmas, I finally got a 40" Samsung LCD HD TV and a Panasonic Blu-Ray.  Lastly, I just got a Pioneer VSX-1019, which has 4 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, as well as 5.1 analog inputs.  I having one cable for Blu-Ray movies.  
My issue today was trying to figure out how I could access the HDMI connection from my Oppo to display tracks on my TV, but also access the 5.1 analog inputs for music.  Surely there is a n easier way to do this!

After trying numerous combination paths on the remote, I finally tried the manual.  Nothing about this whatsoever.  I thought for several minutes, then it hit me.  I don't have to hook up thethe HDMI from the Oppo through the receiver because I only need the video for the TV.  My Samsung TV has 3 HDMI inputs, so I can plug the Oppo directly into the HDMI input on the TV!  DOH!!!
Did I Feel stupid.
Anyone else ever stuggle with a similar situation?

Major fan of music in 5.1, especially Prog.

#2 of 10 Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 15 2011 - 02:02 AM

I think you should be able to simply run HDMI from the Oppo to the receiver. All your 5.1 audio should be carried by HDMI. Then you only need to run one HDMI cable to the TV.

Brian

#3 of 10 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,397 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 15 2011 - 02:50 AM

According to the specs for your Pioneer receiver on the manufacturer's website, your receiver supports both SACD and DVD-Audio via the HDMI inputs. Therefore, you should be able to simply run an HDMI cable from the Oppo to your receiver, and a single HDMI cable from the receiver's HDMI output to the TV, as Brian suggests. There is no need to use the 5.1 analog inputs of your receiver for these audio formats.

I have my Oppo 980 universal DVD player connected to my Pioneer Elite receiver in exactly this manner, and it works fine.

#4 of 10 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 15 2011 - 10:14 AM

Keith, I feel kind of stupid for not asking what universal dvd player you were using in the thread you starting about looking for a receiver with hdmi and 5.1 analogs. I would have told you you didn't need the 5.1 analogs. Oh well, live and learn Posted Image . We all do silly/stupid things from time to time Posted Image .

HDMI would be the best way to hook the 981 as both Scott and Brian suggested but I'm sure there is a way to run hdmi video through the receiver and 5.1 analogs for the audio.  I don't think the problem was with the 981. My 83, which isn't much different than the 983 in the standard video and audio areas, can transmit hdmi video and 5.1 audio at the same time. Did you assign the corresponding hdmi input to the multi-ch audio input?

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 10 keithling

keithling

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted February 15 2011 - 03:29 PM

I have an extensive collection (about 80) of analog 5.1 discs.  It is my understanding that many of these have several multichannel mixes.  Most often the optional one is Dolby Digital.  The analog mixes will only read out the analog outputs, not the digital outputs (including HDMI).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the digital mixes on these discs are often significantly different from the analog mixes.

#6 of 10 Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 16 2011 - 01:27 AM

I thought that the 5.1 mixes on those discs would play over HDMI because it offered copy protection.

Brian

#7 of 10 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted February 16 2011 - 09:05 AM

An "analog" mix on a digital disk is impossible. If it's on a disk, it's digital. Analog would be tape or LP.

#8 of 10 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 16 2011 - 09:23 AM

Keith, I'm not sure what you mean by analog mixes. If you mean the hi-resolution mixes you are right that they will not play through the optical or coaxial digital connection but they can play through the hdmi connection with the proper dvd player and receiver. It looks like both the OPPO 981 and Pioneer 1019 are compatible with dvd-a and sacd through the hdmi connection.

There are several of what I've always known as "layers" on these discs, particularly DVD-A. The Pet Sounds DVD-A has 5 layers on it. MC DVD-A, stereo DVD-A, mono DVD-A, regular DTS 5.1 and regular Dolby Digital 5.1. All 5 layers will play through the HDMI connection with your equipment. Technically all layers are digital since dvd is a digital format. It must be converted to analog somewhere down the line as speakers are analog. This conversion can be done in the dvd player and sent to the receiver via the mc analog outputs or as LPCM via hdmi or it can be done in the receiver through hdmi if your receiver has a DSD (for sacd) decoder in it. Most don't. Neither does yours. But you can setup your OPPO 981 and Pioneer 1019 to play dvd-a/sacd through the hdmi connection.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#9 of 10 keithling

keithling

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted February 20 2011 - 06:52 AM

I had tried HDMI from my Oppo 981 to my receiver.  I was able to show the menu (on a SACD). The player would run, but there was no audio signal being processed by the receiver.  After perusing my Oppo menus, I found the HDMI setting was off.  I changed it to auto and that took care of it.  I was unaware that HDMI had copy protection.  I thought the HDMI output on this player was for upscaling videos.
Thank you for your replies.  I guess you can still teach an old dog new tricks.

#10 of 10 Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 21 2011 - 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by keithling 

I was unaware that HDMI had copy protection.  I thought the HDMI output on this player was for upscaling videos.

The HDMI output is for upscaling videos (among other things). In fact, the reason why upscaling DVD players have to have HDMI is that they're not allowed to upscale over an output that doesn't provide copy protection (which is why you won't get upscaling through the component outputs). For this same reason, HDMI can be used to output the audio from 5.1 audio discs.

Brian