Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wood sub-floor?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted February 13 2011 - 09:24 AM

There are quite a few people in the "things I would have done differently" thread who mentioned they would have put down a wood sub-floor under the carpet in their basement home theaters to help with bass. Can anyone offer specifics about what type of material they used for it? My builder mentioned they have these tiles of wood with moisture barriers underneath them that may work well.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Andrew Stoakley

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted February 13 2011 - 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_WM 

There are quite a few people in the "things I would have done differently" thread who mentioned they would have put down a wood sub-floor under the carpet in their basement home theaters to help with bass.

Can anyone offer specifics about what type of material they used for it? My builder mentioned they have these tiles of wood with moisture barriers underneath them that may work well.

Hi Adam,

I purchased and installed the Dri-Core product for the sub-floor to my home theatre with great results.  I'm sure if you searched for Dri-Core in this forum you would find a lot of the old threads relating to what I wrote way back then.  In a nutshell, I've seen three great improvements:

1)  Greater bass respose.

2)  A warmer temperature in my basement.  I live in Toronto and not having the carpet right over the concrete has made a huge impact on the living environment.

3)  Better humidity levels in the summer.  There is zero dampness issues in the summer - so I have no need for a de-humidifier.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Dri-Core product or any of the wood overlay systems.

Email or private message me if you have any further questions or post them here in the threat and I'll try to answer them.

Cheers!

Andrew

"Remember kids - no one cares about audio until they can't hear it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users