What's new

"Fiddler on the Roof" April 5th from MGM (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
MGM will release "Fiddler on the Roof" on Blu-ray April 5th,

Good news - though I must say it will surely win the ugliest cover award of the year (Going up against "The 10 Commandments", "The Bible" and "King of Kings")

Too bad they didn't use the original poster art which is quite beautiful and has only been used once - on the Laser disc Box Set (use corner picture)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"West Side Story" turns 50 this year (yikes!) The film is supposed to have a theatrical release before it comes to Blu-ray later this year

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm not even going to look at the cover right now. It can wait. I am totally disgusted with this aspect of new releases.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
not going to complain about the cover, but looking at the art it sort of falls inline with what was done for CCBB, i can only hope that this got that kind of attention, looks like all the stuff from MGM that i though i was going to have to order from Amazon CA is getting a US release as well

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
I'm not even going to look at the cover right now. It can wait. I am totally disgusted with this aspect of new releases.
i dont understand the last part of this statement

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sorry. We've been talking about cover art in various threads, and that was some bad shorthand. I'm just saying how sick I am of the whole trend that started in the DVD era and continues through the present day, in throwing out any semblance of the original art, some of which is so iconic it's difficult to picture a film without it. So, they throw it out anyway, and what appears in its place can't even be called a poor substitute.

Just one example: Look at the original "King of Kings" designs, and then at what's coming out on the cover of the Blu-ray. My jaw is still on the floor.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Look at the original "King of Kings" designs, and then at what's coming out on the cover of the Blu-ray. My jaw is still on the floor.
Here's what I did regarding "King of Kings":

First, take the original DVD cardboard art out of the Warner plastic case (the plastic flaps top and bottom of the back will snap open). Then go down to your local Staples/Office Depot/Kinko's -- in short, any place that will make a good color copy. Have it copied at 94 percent (have 2-3 copies made so you have spares if you mess up any of the cutting). Trim a little off the sides. Trim the bottom right below "The Life of Christ" (you'll be cutting off the rest of the quote) on the front of the DVD/Blu-ray cover, and the top just above the title on the spine. For best results, use a paper cutter.

Voila! You have new art for the Blu-ray! Put it in an empty Blu-ray case and wait for March 29!

My Blu-ray case with good art is doing that right now.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
understand i have been known to print a custom cover or so myself, i know the current complaints for 10 Commandments, but i dont get the one for The Bible, actualy that is acceptable, i was thinking the conversion would look like well the bible, KoK is just a bad cover all around

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
one example: Look at the original "King of Kings" designs, and then at what's coming out on the cover of the Blu-ray. My jaw is still on the floor.

Then you get some very cheesy hybrid photoshops like "Soylent Green," which takes just a small part of the original poster in order to have a closeup of Charlton Heston's face taking up 2/3 of the cover and some tacky green mist obscuring the segment of the original poster art.

Don't find the cover for "Fiddler on the Roof" that ugly compared so some "who cares?"-inspired covers I've seen recently. The only real unpleasant part is that very unappealing Blu-ray-ribbon logo over the top.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I too hope the FOTR is treated as well as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was. Certainly deserves to be. As does West Side Story. I'm almost dreading the artwork for WSS. LOL.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by JohnMor
I too hope the FOTR is treated as well as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was. Certainly deserves to be. As does West Side Story. I'm almost dreading the artwork for WSS. LOL.
Ten Oscars, and one of the great musicals of Broadway and Hollywood. Its cover will probably look like this:

de38f3e4_worstcoverever2.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
you know something , at least it's original, not bad photoshop, might need to hit that art class again does noy quite look like ms wood

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Talking about the Fiddler cover but no one posted it.
Is this it?

d80fd647_riddler.pjpeg.pjpeg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The cover gives me pause to think. If the film was released today, would the Blu-ray cover be what the one-sheet would look like. Looking at all the ugly covers sure does remind me of what the one sheets look for today's film. The are dark (any superhero poster) or have a huge close up of the star or stars (Hall Pass & Just Go With It) or a background (Battle: Los Angeles). Fiddle has the dark and background covered. While I dislike the cover of Fiddler, I can certainly see it in a poster case today. That does not speak well for today's movie posters.

And another thing, the cover really does not express the title as a musical well, which might be what they are going for. A man holding fiddle standing on a roof in front of a sunrise/sunset could be Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks