Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Justified - Season 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#21 of 76 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted March 03 2011 - 02:02 PM

Man, I'm absolutely adoring this season. They've nailed exactly how to blend the arc-stories and the stories-of-the-week.

True, the show effectively balanced one-offs and season-long arc-episodes last year as well. Not every episode has to be about the major storyline (which will clearly be Mags, her family, and the Dixie Mafia). I'm fine enjoying the slow-burn setup while focusing on some of the other characters.

And I agree it is one of the best, and most entertaining, shows on TV right now. It's living up to how good Season 1 was (which took until the Ruck episode to find its rhythm, even though it was already plenty decent before that).

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#22 of 76 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted March 09 2011 - 06:21 PM

Todays ep was the best of the Season.  Well made and it kept moving.  Good stuff.  Now to see when Rayland will figure out that Boyd was involved and Ava covered for him and took money (as I'm sure she will/did do both, though I'm not surprised).  And Mags with the hammer.  Yikes.  Don't mess with her.

#23 of 76 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 10 2011 - 03:48 AM

You know a show really has you by the balls when, on a cop show, your favorite parts are a bunch of scenes of people just sitting around and talking.

While not quite "Kathy Bates-in-Misery," the punishment scene was even more disturbing for me than the aftermath of the bombing. Boyd's plan was pretty clever, especially blowing up most of the money so no one would be looking for the chunk he kept.

I just realized that both of Mags's sons getting punished were on LOST, although I don't think they shared a scene. So that's at least three LOST actors so far on Justified. I guess someone's a fan (and a really good casting-agent).

All I can really say right now is that Dave Alvin followed by DBT is just more evidence that this show is on some fairly specific Southern-fried wavelength that I never knew existed.

And not that I really care about the Emmys, but if I had a vote, I can't even begin to imagine how I'd choose between Martindale and Maggie Smith.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#24 of 76 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 10 2011 - 03:41 PM

From last week's great 'quiet' scenes to this week with both 'quiet' scenes and big ones!

"You're like the hillbilly whisperer."  Gold!

Boyd is so great.  I loved the 'plan' scene and his plan to listen in on the conversation via his own cell phone.  His follow up conversation with Ava was just as solid.

Raylan offering the cell phone to the girl was another great 'quiet' scene.

And, I just love the way Raylan 'kicks the hornets nest' simply by parking alongside and letting them know that he knows.

But, this episode also had BIG scenes: the comical taser-off was great.  And, of course the horror of Mags out to teach a lesson.  I loved the way Martindale actually winded herself and had to sit down.  Christ, she scares me.

This show officially rules.

#25 of 76 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted March 17 2011 - 05:52 PM

Scott Wilson!

I remember another foot chase scene with Scott, only he wasn't  68 years old, he was 25 and appearing in his first film; "In The Heat Of The Night".

Rod Steiger, as the Chief of POLLeece, calmly drove behind "Harvey" as he was attempting to run out of the state over a long bridge.

He got winded that time also.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#26 of 76 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,182 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 05:03 AM

"we know the difference between dynamite and road flares"

I'm enjoying this season more than season 1.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#27 of 76 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted March 23 2011 - 05:56 PM

That ep kept me on the edge of my seat. Wonder how its going to play out. 

#28 of 76 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 04:31 AM

Outstanding look of bewilderment from Raylan upon discovering Boyd, in a suit, alone in the courtroom. Made even better by Boyd "volunteering" to show Raylan where he'd have hidden a bomb.

My only tiny quibble is that I'd have preferred to see Boyd's recruitment begin playing out in the previous episode; it felt a tad rushed to me (but "Is there a Penney's on the way?" was only one of a good dozen classic lines from last night).

Should be interesting to see him mix it up with the Bennetts next week.

Somebody involved in Justified's casting clearly likes HBO's Hung. They've now employed the sexiest 40% of that show's cast from Season 1 (apologies to Thomas Jane). But while Justified is the better show, Hung gets bonus points for having had both actresses naked.

#29 of 76 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,040 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 06:20 AM

I enjoyed the first season and I think this season is even better.

Does anyone else think Raylan was taking an unnecessary risk returning the money after he found out that the logs showed the money had been returned to the S&L and that the S&L had gone under so they couldn't check with them. Wouldn't it have been safer to take the money home and just burn it?

#30 of 76 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick_S 

Wouldn't it have been safer to take the money home and just burn it?

Precisely what my wife said out loud last night, as we were sitting there watching it. Preceded immediately by, "Jesus Christ, he's GOING BACK?!?"

And I don't know who hit it farther out of the park, Searcy or Root, but they both have absolutely dead-on timing in their delivery. Which is not to take Olyphant for granted -- given the need to keep Winona's situation hush-hush, he did an amazing job communicating so much just with looks and small gestures.

#31 of 76 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick_S 
 Wouldn't it have been safer to take the money home and just burn it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshEH 

Quote:

"Jesus Christ, he's GOING BACK?!?"

Appalachian film noir.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#32 of 76 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted March 24 2011 - 12:36 PM

I also thought it was safer to just keep it and burn it, there would of been little to no risk.  I wasn't sure if Boyd wanted Raylan to tell the woman he can't be trusted with his comment about being honest is the best policy(or something).

It's was hillarious when they layed out Boyd and Raylans relationship/experience in the courtroom.  "So was that before you shot him in the chest."

I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#33 of 76 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 25 2011 - 04:40 AM

I hope Art doesn't check that locker...  I can forgive my favorite show for a stupid oversight, but if that oversight leads to more trouble if/when Art looks in the locker I'll be mighty pissed.  Not only is burning the money the smart move, it is the ONLY move.  Case closed.  No more leads.

#34 of 76 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 07:04 AM

I loved him (Raylan) slowly inching out of the evidence room. This episode reminded me of the Denzel flick Out of Time.

It was almost bizarre seeing Rebecca Creskoff with her clothes on.

And not only is Hung where I first fell in love with Natalie Zea, but also don't forget that Margo Martindale showed up in Season One as one of Ray's very first clients.

#35 of 76 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,182 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 02:36 AM

The show has been renewed for a 3rd season. No surprise there! Posted Image

Things should get really interesting with Boyd and the Bennett clan, should their worlds collide.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#36 of 76 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 06:38 AM

Good news. Its ratings are up 8 percent so far this year, too.

The ratings are actually below Sons of Anarchy's, or what The Shield or Nip/Tuck got, but still higher than Terriers, Damages, Lights Out, and the other shows FX has cancelled recently. It's just hard to say what FX considers "good enough," so it's a relief to know Justified is doing at least that well.

#37 of 76 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 07:10 PM

Something felt a bit of about this ep.  Wasn;t as snappy as it usually is.  Maybe the writers had a hangover to :)

#38 of 76 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 01:15 AM

They needed a transition episode to set-up next week.

"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#39 of 76 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 05:58 AM

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this second season.  The first I found to be very watchable but rarely gripping.  This one is just flat-out great.  I love Margo Martindale.  I love the slow burn.  I love Goggins' character's arc.  I love that they have Raylan lose fights and that Art isn't an idiot.

This past ep had a definite Straw Dogs vibe (with the thing in the bag).  It was almost all set-up to next week's - and I can't wait.  It's the mark of a great show when I'm so disappointed it's over already.

I'm very glad it's been renewed for season 3.

#40 of 76 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted March 31 2011 - 06:07 AM

"...And then I got my THIRD hit."

Fantastic episode. Don't know exactly how this season will turn out, but the payback-beating Raylan will eventually lay down on Coover Bennett is gonna be stellar. I was actually shocked that Raylan lost the fight with Coover. It was similar to the buttkicking he took last season, though. Both times, it seemed like he was looking to get punished for his sins.

Raylan is better with a gun than his fists, and he gets his ass stomped occasionally, even by a character the audience already actively hates. I did enjoy hearing their backstory, though. I was unaware they had a relationship, and just assumed Coover was an idiot baiting the police.

The best part of the fight was when they shoved into the door, and for about two seconds, it looked like Raylan had gotten the upper hand. Then just as suddenly as it appeared, it was gone, and the ass-kicking continued.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the guy who sold out to the mining company will be an early casualty next week. They should have just put him in a red shirt at the town meeting.