What's new

Super 8 - An Amblin Entertainment Production, a J.J. Abrams Film (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Set in Ohio in 1979, Super 8 introduces a troupe of six youngsters who are using a Super 8 camera to make their own zombie movie. One fateful night, their project takes them to a lonely stretch of rural railroad tracks and, as the camera rolls, calamity strikes — a truck collides with an oncoming locomotive and a hellacious derailment fills the night with screaming metal and raining fire. Then something emerges from the wreckage, something decidedly inhuman."

After seeing that Super Bowl trailer, this rocketed up to just behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 as my most anticipated movie of 2011. I love the aesthetic of the film, it reminds me of the Steven Speilberg and Joe Dante childrens' pictures of the late seventies and early eighties, like E.T., Gremlins, The Goonies and Explorers, only with a slightly more sinister edge to it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I love the aesthetic of the film, it reminds me of the Steven Speilberg and Joe Dante childrens' pictures of the late seventies and early eighties, like E.T., Gremlins, The Goonies and Explorers, only with a slightly more sinister edge to it.

In addition to E.T., it reminded me of Close Encounters as well. Of course, that's probably why the people who have already decided to hate it will say why it's bad.

I very rarely watch trailers or commercials (this is probably the 3rd or 4th time that I've watched one online in about 3 years) but this one has me interested me enough to watch it online. From episodes of Alias to the Lost pilot to Mission: Impossible III to Star Trek, J.J. Abrams is rock solid when directing so I'm looking forward to this.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
This was the best movie commercial during the Superbowl. I can't wait to see this.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
New full length trailer now available. I am now 100% excited to see this.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Wow. Huge 70's Spielberg vibe with this thing. I think it may have just jumped into my most anticipated slot.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Tv spot I just saw looked pretty interesting! However, the parent character who isn't very supportive of their kid's hobbies/dreams & ambitions/company they keep is getting a little old.

If only "77" would finally come out of whatever black hole it seems to have fallen into?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
The trailer makes me think of a live-action "Iron Giant" except for the missing dogs part.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett_Y

Yup another one I can't wait to see!!! Love the feel of this one too. Can't wait!

I think that's what J.J. Abrams is good at -- delivering the "feel." I don't like the way his stories turn out, however. He doesn't seem to know how to make all the smoke and mirrors pay off. Hopefully with Spielberg involved, this one will be different.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Variety has reviewed Super 8 - here is an excerpt from the review - don't read if you want the film to be a total surprise.

A terrifying, spider-like alien interrupts an amateur film crew's attempts to shoot a shoestring zombie movie in "Super 8," investing a sweet, family-friendly drama with big-budget thrills. Rare is the writer-director capable of creating such compelling horror-movie characters, yet one suspects J.J. Abrams' spirited teen ensemble would have sustained our interest even without the CG E.T. Sadly, the helmer seems too smitten working with Steven Spielberg to recognize that his idol-turned-champion created the very paradigm that limits his passion project, forcing this modest nostalgia trip to function as a blockbuster. What could have been a sleeper hit seems ill equipped to attract the broad summer audience its tentpole trappings demand.

Had "Super 8" opened in 1979, the year in which it's set, one might have easily mistaken the film for the work of Spielberg, who had channeled his alien-invasion and suburban-family anxieties into "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" two years earlier. But even though Abrams leans heavily on many of his mentor's stylistic signatures -- lingering on the faces of awestruck kids, withholding the monster for as long as possible and transforming an all-American neighborhood through Klieg lights and crane shots, to name but a few -- "Super 8" owes at least as much to another picture hitting theaters that summer: Ridley Scott's "Alien."

"Super 8" refrains from giving auds a good look at the giant, otherworldly arachnid until so late in the game that it forces our attention on the junior ensemble, who were selected carefully enough to hold their own onscreen. By virtue of his standing, Abrams is able to assemble a top-shelf team of collaborators, including vfx legend Dennis Muren ("E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial"), longtime composer Michael Giacchino and d.p. Larry Fong ("Sucker Punch"), though none has contributed his best work: The monster is a disappointment, Giacchino's score is forgettable and Fong gets distracting lens flares while trying to imitate Allen Daviau's style. http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117945388?refcatid=31

It's Cloverfield with a story and without out all the jerky camera work. Sadly it doesn't look like Abrams has overcome his love for lens flares,

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yep, I got my tickets for an IMAX showing tomorrow. I'll have one day of work before summer break starts the next day, so I hope Super 8 is going to get it started off right. The trailer is certainly awesome, and even though I'm not sipping the Abrams/Spielberg kool-aid yet, I have pretty high hopes for it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Saw it this morning and loved it. It's a perfect summer "popcorn" flick.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by mattCR

I admit, I thought it was terrible. The script couldn't seem to figure out what it wa. The end was crazy disappointing. And what is with using 'mint' as some sort of slang incessantly? C-

I couldn't agree more. I just got back from seeing it, and it was terribly disappointing. I did find the first hour interesting, but the 2nd half just turned into a run-of-the-mill alien/action movie. I couldn't wait for it to end.

D+

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks