Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Super 8 - An Amblin Entertainment Production, a J.J. Abrams Film

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 07 2011 - 03:20 AM

"Set in Ohio in 1979, Super 8 introduces a troupe of six youngsters who are using a Super 8 camera to make their own zombie movie. One fateful night, their project takes them to a lonely stretch of rural railroad tracks and, as the camera rolls, calamity strikes — a truck collides with an oncoming locomotive and a hellacious derailment fills the night with screaming metal and raining fire. Then something emerges from the wreckage, something decidedly inhuman."

After seeing that Super Bowl trailer, this rocketed up to just behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 as my most anticipated movie of 2011. I love the aesthetic of the film, it reminds me of the Steven Speilberg and Joe Dante childrens' pictures of the late seventies and early eighties, like E.T., Gremlins, The Goonies and Explorers, only with a slightly more sinister edge to it.

#2 of 79 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 07 2011 - 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

I love the aesthetic of the film, it reminds me of the Steven Speilberg and Joe Dante childrens' pictures of the late seventies and early eighties, like E.T., Gremlins, The Goonies and Explorers, only with a slightly more sinister edge to it.

In addition to E.T., it reminded me of Close Encounters as well. Of course, that's probably why the people who have already decided to hate it will say why it's bad.

I very rarely watch trailers or commercials (this is probably the 3rd or 4th time that I've watched one online in about 3 years) but this one has me interested me enough to watch it online. From episodes of Alias to the Lost pilot to Mission: Impossible III to Star Trek, J.J. Abrams is rock solid when directing so I'm looking forward to this.

#3 of 79 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 07 2011 - 03:50 AM

This was the best movie commercial during the Superbowl. I can't wait to see this.

#4 of 79 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 09:18 PM

Nice use of James Horner's "Cocoon" opening cue here. Adds to the nostalgic feel of the trailer.

#5 of 79 OFFLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted March 11 2011 - 08:33 AM

New full length trailer now available.  I am now 100% excited to see this.

#6 of 79 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted March 11 2011 - 09:36 AM

Wow. Huge 70's Spielberg vibe with this thing. I think it may have just jumped into my most anticipated slot.

#7 of 79 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 11 2011 - 12:11 PM

Damn that looks wicked cool.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#8 of 79 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 07:06 PM

Tv spot I just saw looked pretty interesting! However, the parent character who isn't very supportive of their kid's hobbies/dreams & ambitions/company they keep is getting a little old.

If only "77" would finally come out of whatever black hole it seems to have fallen into?

#9 of 79 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted March 22 2011 - 03:19 AM

The trailer makes me think of a live-action "Iron Giant" except for the missing dogs part.

#10 of 79 OFFLINE   RichM

RichM

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 03:19 AM

Any early viewings of this movie yet?

Rich

#11 of 79 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 02:15 AM

Yup another one I can't wait to see!!!  Love the feel of this one too.  Can't wait!

My DVD Collection

#12 of 79 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted May 16 2011 - 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett_Y 

Yup another one I can't wait to see!!!  Love the feel of this one too.  Can't wait!

I think that's what J.J. Abrams is good at -- delivering the "feel."  I don't like the way his stories turn out, however.  He doesn't seem to know how to make all the smoke and mirrors pay off.  Hopefully with Spielberg involved, this one will be different.

#13 of 79 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,448 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 07 2011 - 12:55 AM

Variety has reviewed Super 8 - here is an excerpt from the review - don't read if you want the film to be a total surprise.

A terrifying, spider-like alien interrupts an amateur film crew's attempts to shoot a shoestring zombie movie in "Super 8," investing a sweet, family-friendly drama with big-budget thrills. Rare is the writer-director capable of creating such compelling horror-movie characters, yet one suspects J.J. Abrams' spirited teen ensemble would have sustained our interest even without the CG E.T. Sadly, the helmer seems too smitten working with Steven Spielberg to recognize that his idol-turned-champion created the very paradigm that limits his passion project, forcing this modest nostalgia trip to function as a blockbuster. What could have been a sleeper hit seems ill equipped to attract the broad summer audience its tentpole trappings demand.

Had "Super 8" opened in 1979, the year in which it's set, one might have easily mistaken the film for the work of Spielberg, who had channeled his alien-invasion and suburban-family anxieties into "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" two years earlier. But even though Abrams leans heavily on many of his mentor's stylistic signatures -- lingering on the faces of awestruck kids, withholding the monster for as long as possible and transforming an all-American neighborhood through Klieg lights and crane shots, to name but a few -- "Super 8" owes at least as much to another picture hitting theaters that summer: Ridley Scott's "Alien."

"Super 8" refrains from giving auds a good look at the giant, otherworldly arachnid until so late in the game that it forces our attention on the junior ensemble, who were selected carefully enough to hold their own onscreen. By virtue of his standing, Abrams is able to assemble a top-shelf team of collaborators, including vfx legend Dennis Muren ("E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial"), longtime composer Michael Giacchino and d.p. Larry Fong ("Sucker Punch"), though none has contributed his best work: The monster is a disappointment, Giacchino's score is forgettable and Fong gets distracting lens flares while trying to imitate Allen Daviau's style.   http://www.variety.c...388?refcatid=31

It's Cloverfield with a story and without out all the jerky camera work. Sadly it doesn't look like Abrams has overcome his love for lens flares, Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#14 of 79 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 07 2011 - 01:09 AM

The only thing that is more cliched than Abrams' use of lens flares is people complaining about it. :)

#15 of 79 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 04:57 AM

If you're lucky, Paramount is releasing it one day early in some cities

http://www.deadline....-8-via-twitter/

Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#16 of 79 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yep, I got my tickets for an IMAX showing tomorrow.  I'll have one day of work before summer break starts the next day, so I hope Super 8 is going to get it started off right. The trailer is certainly awesome, and even though I'm not sipping the Abrams/Spielberg kool-aid yet, I have pretty high hopes for it.

Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#17 of 79 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 03:12 AM

Three and a half stars from Ebert: http://rogerebert.su...VIEWS/110609989

The things he liked about it are perfectly in line with what everyone seems to be expecting.  I'm really looking forward to this movie.

#18 of 79 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 03:17 PM

Saw it this morning and loved it. It's a perfect summer "popcorn" flick.

#19 of 79 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 09 2011 - 04:05 PM

Three and a half stars from Ebert: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110608/REVIEWS/110609989

The things he liked about it are perfectly in line with what everyone seems to be expecting. I'm really looking forward to this movie.

I admit, I thought it was terrible. The script couldn't seem to figure out what it wa. The end was crazy disappointing. And what is with using 'mint' as some sort of slang incessantly? C-
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#20 of 79 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

I admit, I thought it was terrible. The script couldn't seem to figure out what it wa. The end was crazy disappointing. And what is with using 'mint' as some sort of slang incessantly? C-

I couldn't agree more.  I just got back from seeing it, and it was terribly disappointing.  I did find the first hour interesting, but the 2nd half just turned into a run-of-the-mill alien/action movie.  I couldn't wait for it to end.

D+