Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: The Man Who Would Be King (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,332 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 02:13 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,267 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 02:21 AM

Fantastic! One of my favourite films, and one that never even had a proper DVD release.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,591 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 07 2011 - 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Worth 

Fantastic! One of my favourite films, and one that never even had a proper DVD release.

This had a beautiful transfer on HDNet Movies (making its poor DVD treatment that much more puzzling). The BD should be even better.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,685 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted February 07 2011 - 03:49 AM

Yay! Great film, looking forward to adding it to the collection. :)

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 10:13 AM

I will definitely be getting this and retiring the flipper disc.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 07 2011 - 10:18 AM

While I'd prefer a lower priced release, this is a definite buy. Now, can we have The Wind and the Lion please?

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   John Nelson

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted February 10 2011 - 04:59 PM

I've been waiting for this one for a long time but am shocked to hear it will actually happen! This is one of the best forgotten movies I know of- the only time Michael Caine and Sean Connery starred together- and the abysmal flipper DVD with terrible audio and missing dialogue did this film no justice. Can't wait to see and hear this in Hi Def!
"The satellite landed in our home. Maybe this means we'll have good luck this year," Huo Jiyu, quoted after a Chinese satellite completely destroyed his apartment in the village of Penlai, Sichuan Province, China.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 06:43 AM

I'm certainly looking forward to this one but dismayed that awful cover art is now carrying over to digibook packaging as well. The awful cover art fad has gotten so shockingly bad that it almost seems like an intentional ploy to spite enthusiasts.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,380 posts

Posted February 11 2011 - 07:29 AM

Strange, given that the Warner Archive uses original poster art. I guess they figure "the masses" require more obvious images. (This is the same art used for last year's DVD reissue of the title, which was simply a repackaging of the old crap disc.)

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,212 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 11 2011 - 10:51 AM

This will be mine, and just in time for my birthday! A personal favourite, which I saw for thefirst time @ the drive-in....... ah, memories.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted February 14 2011 - 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by MatthewA 

This had a beautiful transfer on HDNet Movies (making its poor DVD treatment that much more puzzling). The BD should be even better.

Wasn't the original DVD released in 1998? That would explain why it looks so bad.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,380 posts

Posted February 15 2011 - 12:21 AM

The need to "flip" the 125-minute movie, which was indeed an early release, was the main source of the frustration.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,971 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 15 2011 - 06:11 AM

I could live with flipping the disc if the image quality weren't so horrible. It's ironic that they couldn't squeeze such a crappy encode onto a single side. :)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,212 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 15 2011 - 09:33 AM

The only positives to the old "flipper" were the multiple trailers for John Huston films and the EPK-style docu that was included. The uninspiring audio (a very flat sounding Dolby Digital 1.0 track) and the mediocre transfer that required you to flip the disc 1/2 way through the movie were frustrating for someone like me, a fan of the film since early childhood (I was 5 the first time I saw it).
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Ransom Stoddard

Ransom Stoddard

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted February 15 2011 - 03:18 PM

Surely they could have gotten Huston and Kipling experts to do a commentary?

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted February 15 2011 - 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

The need to "flip" the 125-minute movie, which was indeed an early release, was the main source of the frustration.

I think this was caused by the fact initially pressing plants couldn't make dual layer discs, even though it was part of the DVD spec. According the DVD profiler, the first release of The Man Who Would be King was released on 18 November, 1997, so it isn't surprising that it wasn't released on a dual layer single sided disc.

I can recall in mid 1998 a lot of DVDs released in Australia were  discontinued and reissued as dual layer versions.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted February 18 2011 - 03:58 AM

Just an FYI that this is up for preoreder at Amazon, but not under the original placeholder. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users