Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Would Like Members Technical Reviews Of MGM MOD The Satan Bug

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   MCCLOUD

MCCLOUD

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted February 03 2011 - 08:56 AM

Yesterday I put in The Satan Bug MOD that I purchased from TCM in January.  I didn't watch the movie, I just looked over different scenes in the movie trying to access the video mainly and audio of The Satan Bug.  I would have to say that I was hoping the transfer and the video and audio was going to be better.  It appeared to me to be anamorphic widescreen.  I would appreciate other members who have the MOD to comment on their opinions of:

1. The transfer  Is it anamorphic widescreen?

2. What did you think on the sharpness of the video?

3. The colors?

4. The overall video and audio quality?

One more thing.  Near the beginning when John Anderson is outside talking to the security officers, to me the word security on the guards sleeve did not look that clear.  I was wondering if  it was just my tv or does it look like this on everyones.  All comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

Robert

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,598 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 03 2011 - 02:30 PM

We requested The Satan Bug as a review title, but MGM was temporarily out of stock. They did send Still of the Night and The Hawaiians which I'll be getting to this weekend.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,598 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 04 2011 - 08:56 AM

Much to my surprise, the review copy for The Satan Bug arrived late this afternoon, so I'll be getting to it later this weekend.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 04 2011 - 02:48 PM

Matt,

If you please, can you post a brief note whether this title is worth buying or not.  I'm thinking of ordering it this weekend.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted February 04 2011 - 03:53 PM

Other forums are reporting that it is an uprez of an old laserdisc transfer. This might account for the lack of resolution, and the difficulty in deciding whether it's really anamorphic or not. This seems to happen to all my favourite films. Universal's DVD of Fred Schepisi's Iceman was a barebones pan-n-scan hack job. Ditto for Friedkin's Sorcerer. I remember Satan Bug fondly from my teens, especially the pacing, the way it never slows down. Sigh.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 05:03 PM

There's a decent, proper widescreen DVD of Iceman in the UK, available from Amazon for under 4 pounds.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,598 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 05 2011 - 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Matt,

If you please, can you post a brief note whether this title is worth buying or not.  I'm thinking of ordering it this weekend.

I haven't cracked the cellophane on it yet, but I'll do it later this morning and report briefly what I'm seeing. Unless something pressing comes in the mail today, the full review should be up sometime on Sunday.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,598 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 05 2011 - 03:30 AM

I watched about ten minutes of The Satan Bug. The aliasing that has always been a problem with this title continues to be rampant on this disc. It is in anamorphic widescreen, but that enhancement doesn't resolve the very serious degree of line twittering throughout the ten minutes that I watched. Color is a bit faded and sharpness is only average. Sound is only fair, too. Decent fidelity so far but I heard some distortion and some pops on the soundtrack.

Though the Panavision image is anamorphically enhanced, there is slight windowboxing on my TV (set in pixel for pixel/ no overscan mode). Those with overscan will not notice the very thin bars on the sides.