Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread

Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#241 of 266 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 03:48 AM

By the way, the word that I've heard on the Shout/Sony situation is that now that Sony has their burn on demand program up and running, they have lost interest in licensing shows out and feel that it may be better for them to put their shows out themselves. How long before they realize that they suck at it, we'll have to wait and find out.

#242 of 266 dressedtokill

dressedtokill

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:32 AM

By the way, the word that I've heard on the Shout/Sony situation is that now that Sony has their burn on demand program up and running, they have lost interest in licensing shows out and feel that it may be better for them to put their shows out themselves. How long before they realize that they suck at it, we'll have to wait and find out.

Source? I really hope you're wrong because there's still left 4 seasons of Fantasy Island.

#243 of 266 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,647 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 14 2012 - 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

I hope that's not true either or it could become more difficult for them to produce sets like the Steve Martin TV Years and The Incredible Mel Brooks. Those two sets alone should have Shout nominated for greatest company ever.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#244 of 266 TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

Looks like WB's success with their Archive program has caught Sony's attention and they want a piece of the action as well.  If they do indeed move to MOD then Shout! has a problem as many of the TV series they have released have come from Sony.  I would think that current releases (Diff'rent Strokes & Fantasy Island) won't be affected by the shift to MOD, it would be dumb if Sony all of sudden decided to stop sub-licensing these to Shout! especially if they are selling well.

How many shows have they released thus far under this format, Benson (S2), Bridget loves Bernie & Charlies Angels S5 are the only ones I am aware of?!  I wonder if they will release the final season of My Two Dads & Parker Lewis Can't Lose or the final two seasons of Mad About You- three shows Shout! Factory abandoned?!

Perhaps some of the following stalled shows might see MOD releases: Archie Bunker's Place, Facts of Life, Hart to Hart, The Jeffersons, Just Shoot Me!, The Nanny, The Flying Nun, Maude, One Day at a Time, Party of Five, Sliver Spoons, TJ Hooker and Who's the Boss?

#245 of 266 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well, for anyone who ever watched TV in the 70s and 80s, that's the way almost every show looked on the air in syndication. 16mm prints, whose color faded over time. It was only starting around the mid-80s that syndicators began going back to the original elements and remastering and color correcting shows. That is, syndicators that cared about their back catalogue. Fox was really the only company that didn't do it. Which shows that they sucked even back then. But it had to be shows that the syndicators deemed to have some kind of sale value and unfortunately, not too many Fox shows besides Batman fall into that category.

But let's not forget it was the same time they started EDITING the shows for more commercials. So we got nice looking shows, but now edited to 22:30 and 45:00 minutes from 25:00 and 49:00-51:00.

#246 of 266 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,936 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:49 PM

How many shows have they released thus far under this format, Benson (S2), Bridget loves Bernie & Charlies Angels S5 are the only ones I am aware of?! 

"Ghost Story/Circle Of Fear" and "Born Free" were also released by Sony in this format.

#247 of 266 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,061 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted December 15 2012 - 07:02 AM

Didn't Sony also release a MoD version of Fantasy Island S2 about 6 months after Shout released the pressed version? Also, Charlies Angels S5 got pressed versions, if you wanted to re-buy the whole series for 4 discs.

#248 of 266 TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 08:50 AM

Sony also released Starman The Complete Series on MOD.

#249 of 266 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 05:40 AM

It's looking very unlikely now that Shout will continue Police Story and Police Woman as normal Shout titles, unless they release them as Shout! Select titles. Just hoping Sony might release these two titles as MOD releases, if Shout have no plans to release any more seasons.

And keeping fingers crossed that Shout will finish Simon & Simon next year, with the eighth season released as a Shout! Select title (the reunion TV film "In Trouble Again" was included as a bonus feature in the Shout! Select release of the fifth season). Although what is left to be released after that, is a 90-minute Making Of docmentary and some "lost" episodes.

#250 of 266 Wvdvdguy

Wvdvdguy

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 09:21 PM

I really really love "Police Story" so I hope more gets released. It was a show that i'd never seen before but really got into. "Police Woman" is great too!

#251 of 266 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,211 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 02:35 AM

One way or the other, I hope the Sony catalog gets a move on with DVD releases. So many great classic TV titles still to do or continue with, at this point I'll take them as MODs too if that is indeed what is coming. If Warner can do it successfully so can they, some Sony titles are already being distributed via Warner's site.

#252 of 266 Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 05:38 AM

I recently received my Bridget Loves Bernie set (as a blind-buy) and while the series itself isn't the greatest, the restoration is perfect for such an obsure show. I hope Sony brings out some more 60s-80s shows this way, because otherwise we won't see them. I still have doubts about the ones with music issues like Maude, One Day, Facts and The Nanny--too bad, because those are the ones I want the most. Perhaps they will release some more Mary Hartman though.

#253 of 266 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 06:04 AM

I have a feeling that the reason BLB was remastered was that Sony had prepped it for an announced release years ago, at the same time as Family came out. For whatever reason they withdrew it but I'm sure all of the remastering had already been done. That doesn't mean that they would be willing to put in all of that work on shows which have never been mastered to tape previously.

#254 of 266 gordoncolt

gordoncolt

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 06:58 AM

I remember at one time on the forum there was a Shout Rep posting who had insight on future releases.

#255 of 266 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 11:52 AM

I remember at one time on the forum there was a Shout Rep posting who had insight on future releases.

I believe his name was Cliff Mac but haven't heard hair nor hyde of the guy in a while on these boards.

#256 of 266 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 11:26 AM

Some Shout! Factory TV titles being released between January and April (source: Amazon.com, and for the titles listed below being released between February and April, titles and release dates subject to change):

January 2013:

Simon & Simon: The Final Season (aka Season Eight) - released last Tuesday (15th January) *Shout! Select title*

February 2013:

The Hardy Boys: Season Three - Tuesday 12th February

March 2013:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Final Year (the 2010 season) - Tuesday 12th March

Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXVI - Tuesday 26th March

Quincy, M.E.: Season Five - Tuesday 19th March

April 2013:

Route 66: The Complete Fourth Season - Tuesday 2nd April

and some of the forthcoming Timeless Media Group/Shout! Factory titles (source: Amazon.com. Studio listed as "Shout! Factory/Timeless Media" on each title's Amazon.com listing page, and titles and their release dates are subject to change):

February 2013:

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams: Season Two - Tuesday 19th February

The Virginian: The Complete Season Seven (Collectable Embossed Tin) - Tuesday 5th February

West Point: The Television Series - Tuesday 26th February

March 2013:

Lee Marvin Presents Lawbreaker: The Complete Television Series - Tuesday 26th March

Peter Gunn: Season One - Tuesday 5th March

Wagon Train: The Complete Season Six (Embossed Collectable Tin) - Tuesday 5th March

April 2013:

A Haunting: Season 5 - Tuesday 23rd April

The Restless Gun: The Complete Series - Tuesday 23rd April

Stoney Burke: The Complete Series - Tuesday 16th April

Tombstone Territory: Season One - Tuesday 2nd April.

Some of the discussion threads in the TV on DVD and Blu-ray folder about Timeless Media's titles:

Timeless Media Group - New Releases

Timeless New Acquisitions!

and the Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? thread.

#257 of 266 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,049 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 21 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm already planning on Season Two of Grizzly Adams. I thought perhaps it could have been restored and/or better sources used, but it's still better than not having it at all!!!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#258 of 266 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 12:46 PM

Like Charles Ellis on another thread I lobby for a complete series release of Peyton Place.  Give it to us bare bones with no bonus features and at a rate that the average fan can buy.  Why should those who sell boot episodes from the Romance Channel get the money.  I should think that Fox might be willing to release the show as they have others.

I just ask that the those who secure the rights to Fox series for Shout take another look at Peyton Place.  50th anniversary limited edition sold from the Shout Select Program might be the route to go.

http://www.emmytvleg...ws/peyton-place

I also wonder on how Shout is doing on their stalled series list?

Such as R222 Paper Chase etc

Here is the Shout thread for PP if anyone from Shout is interested

http://www.hometheat...31#entry3885573

#259 of 266 DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 06:20 PM

Looks like WB's success with their Archive program has caught Sony's attention and they want a piece of the action as well. If they do indeed move to MOD then Shout! has a problem as many of the TV series they have released have come from Sony. I would think that current releases (Diff'rent Strokes & Fantasy Island) won't be affected by the shift to MOD, it would be dumb if Sony all of sudden decided to stop sub-licensing these to Shout! especially if they are selling well.

How many shows have they released thus far under this format, Benson (S2), Bridget loves Bernie & Charlies Angels S5 are the only ones I am aware of?! I wonder if they will release the final season of My Two Dads & Parker Lewis Can't Lose or the final two seasons of Mad About You- three shows Shout! Factory abandoned?!

Perhaps some of the following stalled shows might see MOD releases: Archie Bunker's Place, Facts of Life, Hart to Hart, The Jeffersons, Just Shoot Me!, The Nanny, The Flying Nun, Maude, One Day at a Time, Party of Five, Sliver Spoons, TJ Hooker and Who's the Boss?

Thanks to the Sony/Mill Creek Entertainment partnership deal, all these shows WILL be out of Sony's valut coffins and released to DVD, mark my words. Either this or Sony's Choice On Demand collection.
Enough is Enough, We Demand A DVD Release of Clueless: The Series, New York Undercover: The Complete Series, and the remaining 7 seasons of Baywatch + its spinoffs!!!!

#260 of 266 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:04 PM

How many series did Shout screw up the season 1 release of by including subpar copies of edited episodes, only to correct their "mistake" with a season 2 release featuring uncut shows with better picture quality? It seems to be a pattern for them. From my count, I include

Route 66

Rhoda

Mr. Ed

Father Knows Best

It would be nice if Shout went back and re-did these Season 1 sets, if even as MOD. 

• LeoA likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users