-

Photo
- - - - -

Tips for smoothest DVD upconversion on Panasonic BD65?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted February 02 2011 - 03:22 PM

Hey everyone, I recently delved into the HD arena with a new HDTV and a Panasonic BD65 bluray player. I'm pretty much out of the loop when it comes to HD, so I thought I'd ask for a few setup tips.

Bluray discs look great going into the TV at 1080p through HDMI. Regular DVDs look okay, but appear rather noisy with ringing and other artifacts. What settings should I adjust in the BD player to smooth out the upconversion?

Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 02 2011 - 04:48 PM

I also own the BD65, but there's no special adjustments to prevent that. Some DVD's will have the ringing effect you refer to(like a halo around someone's head), but there's nothing you can do about it. It's called "edge enhancement". Is your player set to 1080p? Make sure you set the sharpness control on your TV properly. If the sharpness is set too high, it can cause the ringing or halo effect. Is there a particular setting in the BD65 you're unsure of?

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted February 03 2011 - 08:18 AM

Yes, Jim, I have definitely turned the sharpness way down to alleviate EE symptoms. I've also been testing DVDs that are relatively clean of this. I guess my main gripe is that I expected DVD upconversion to look a bit better than it does, and am wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong...

Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124