What's new

Humming noise coming from receiver? (1 Viewer)

Just Dan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Prince
HELP!!! I own an older model Yamaha R-V1105 receiver, which I absolutely love. Within the last 6 months, a humming or buzzing sound started emanating from it, and seems to be coming from all the speakers. It got progressively louder,to the point it became too annoying to use it. The sound seems to change pitch/tone whenever the volume knob motor is engaged, and then returns to previous tone when done adjusting volume level. I took it to a local electronic repair shop, he fixed it, and it worked flawlessly for a while. But...here we go again. Recently, the noise returned at low levels, and I believe it to be the same problem as before. So, two questions for you experts:

1. Anybody know what the hell this noise is?

2. Is it worth paying to get it fixed again, or is this something that will keep re-occuring, and should I give up?

I know it's outdated, but I love the sound it produces,and I really dont want to be forced to buy a new one. I'm a steelworker, so money is definitely an issue! If anybody has any insight or suggestions as to what the problem may be, or wether it is going to continue, I beg you, please help me out. I really cant afford another quality receiver, and I don't want to settle for a cheap one. Thank you for reading this.

Dan

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Total guesswork, but I'd point at the power supply section.

Not that there's much else in an amplifier but the power supply and the amp, but.. again, total guesswork on my part.

In any case, if the same guy is still around, you should know what he'll charge to fix it, and he should know what the problem is. (Ask, by the by!)

I'm not familiar with that specific unit, but if I needed to 'narrow down,' I'd suggest there are one or more dying capacitors in there..

Leo

Just Dan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Prince
Thanks Leo! He charged $50 to fix it last time, and now that you mention it, the capacitor thingy does sound familiar.He said something to the effectof there's a bunch of old parts in there, and they ge tdirty, dusty,and sometimes they quit working after a while. My fear is, if I take it up to get fixed again, if this is just going to continue, and more parts will fail...or if this is just two unfortunate, coincidental events. I've tried an Onkyo 7.1 receiver, which either I couldn't figure out, or just plain sounded like shit (awful surround effects), and also a crappy $300 Yamaha new receiver, which again, coukldn't even come close to my old Yamaha. I guess you get what you pay for. Maybe I'll ask the electronic repairman, and see what his prognosis is, although I'm not sure he'll tell me what's in my best interest,or his! Thanks again for the reply.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
on the other hand, if it's just the capacitors in the main power supply, rather than just replacing the dodgy one, assume all are bad (or are going bad,) and get them all replaced. Most places, $50 wouldn't even get the box opened up.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks