Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: The Outlaw Josey Wales -plus- Clint Eastwood Double Features (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,541 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 11:46 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 23 Guest_sf781_*

Guest_sf781_*

Posted January 31 2011 - 01:18 PM

Ron, you just made MY day! ;-)

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 01:21 PM

I saw Firefox when I was a teenager, and was very bored with it, until it got the the flying sequences. It wasn't until I saw the film much later as an adult that I realized what a good cold war thriller it was! Very much looking forward to that one. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,930 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 31 2011 - 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

I saw Firefox when I was a teenager, and was very bored with it, until it got the the flying sequences. It wasn't until I saw the film much later as an adult that I realized what a good cold war thriller it was! Very much looking forward to that one.

Doug

I think I will give this another chance based on your post.  I too remember it as boring, but I bet it is really a great picture.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

I think I will give this another chance based on your post.  I too remember it as boring, but I bet it is really a great picture.

The first 2/3s of the movie, where he is trying to make his way through eastern Europe, reminded me of some of the good thrillers from the mid to late 60's. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold for one. Though Firefox, as a whole, isn't quite that dark.

Doug

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,977 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 31 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'm looking forward to both of the two packs, but I'm a little upset that in a sense they are forcing a potential double dip.  I bought Heartbreak Ridge back in June when it was first released on BD.  Same goes for Every Which Way But Loose.  I'm really looking forward to Firefox and Any Which Way You Can, but just hate the fact I have to double dip on other titles to get them.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 02:27 PM

I suppose that depends on the price point. If the double feature disc isn't more expensive a single feature disc, then your really just getting a second copy free. Doug

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 07:43 PM

I suppose that depends on the price point. If the double feature disc isn't more expensive a single feature disc, then your really just getting a second copy free.

Doug

It isn't. 20 bucks per double-feature (i.e. approx. $15 retail). I love Warner's new pricing policy of catalogue titles (although it makes the premium you're paying for their book packaging even higher than it already was).

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 07:50 PM

Amazon has the double feature of The Enforcer and Sudden Impact for $13.99, while Dirty Harry by itself is $24.99. I don't know I think $13.99 is a pretty cheap price for 2 feature films. What I'm saying is that Adam would probably pay at least $13.99 for Firefox alone, so if this set is priced around the same, he wouldn't really be paying all that much more for Firefox and an extra copy of Heartbreak Ridge. Doug

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,644 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 31 2011 - 09:20 PM

I agree with Adam regarding the double-dips, but hopefully I think we'll be able to pick these titles up cheap enough that it becomes a non-factor. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 10:44 PM

Just bought the DVD, so might just sell that one. Can't wait for the Blu Ray
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,783 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 31 2011 - 11:40 PM

Josey Wales is one of my all-time favorite westerns. This is one of the few BD's that I will not wait for a price drop to purchase. "Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 12:51 AM

Yes!!  And right before Father's Day, my dad will love to receive Outlaw Josey Wales.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,295 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 12:53 AM

Just bought Heartbreak at Best buy for $9.99, got the Double Blu of WHere Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes for $12.99. So these prices on catalogue titles are welcome.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 04:48 AM

I hate Double features because I´d like to have a seperate cover for each title!

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino 

I hate Double features because I´d like to have a seperate cover for each title!

I've got one word for you.....custom covers!

Okay thats two words but you get the idea.

Doug

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 06:22 AM

I'm kind of anal about double features.  I like the idea in general, except that I organize my DVDs and Blu-rays alphabetically, so having two unrelated movies in one case messes that up.  But if the double feature contains, say, a movie and its sequel, so that they'd be next to each other on the shelf, anyway, I'd much rather save the shelf space by having them together in a single pack.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

I'm kind of anal about double features.  I like the idea in general, except that I organize my DVDs and Blu-rays alphabetically, so having two unrelated movies in one case messes that up.  But if the double feature contains, say, a movie and its sequel, so that they'd be next to each other on the shelf, anyway, I'd much rather save the shelf space by having them together in a single pack.

How about alphabetical by star.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,195 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 01 2011 - 09:02 AM

How about alphabetical by star.

Or chronological by studio?  :P

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 10:17 AM

I will have sort of the same problem as I file my collection by director, earliest film first, then continue with the order in which he/she made them, as this is the way I like to look at a favorite director's body of work, plus it helps me remember what I have on the shelf.  I will probably check with Warner in England (love that amazon.uk) to see if they release FIREFOX as a single Blu-ray, like they did the individual Dirty Harry movies that were originally released as a box set in the States - I wanted to be able to file SUDDEN IMPACT with Eastwood, and DIRTY HARRY with Don Siegel.  They never promised us it would be easy.