Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Season 1: Hawaii Five-O (Remake) when on DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted January 29 2011 - 08:32 PM

I heard there is a new TV series on US-TV called "Hawaii Five-O". It´s a remake of the classic Jack Lord show.

My questions are: What season is shown right now at US-TV?

Are there still at Season 1?

When can we expect a DVD release date for Season 1?

Is the remake show good in comparison to the original series?

I´m not a US-citizen, therefore I´m not able to see the show.

#2 of 39 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts

Posted January 30 2011 - 12:19 AM

new show just came out in September has not wrapped up its first season of taping. The show should finished season one in april. I would think the dvd could come out in late august and/or september. The release really depends on the network.

The new series has kono, kelly, mcgarrett and danno. There is some changes, like kono is a female and Danno seems to have a much bigger role. I have only watch one episode and have not watch any since, because i am old fan of the show and just can not get into the cast. This is my old opinion and don't let it influence you. I would suggest taking a look at youtube to look at some shorts from the show.

#3 of 39 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,656 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 30 2011 - 12:40 AM

Paul is correct in his facts for the show's first season. It has not yet concluded. Ratings have been acceptable if not outstanding, and it's likely the show will be back for a second season in the fall of 2012. I would not expect to see a DVD season set until August or September, typical of CBS/Paramount releases of current TV shows.

As for the quality, there is a much more jovial give-and-take between McGarrett and Danno in this version, a "bromance" as it were, and the personal lives of the characters are focused on much more than in the original series. The characters either have love interests now or love interests will be entering the show later in the season. The crime stories have been fairly mediocre so far, enough for me to have checked out of the series after about eight episodes. But I'll likely review the first season box set if CBS/Paramount sends it to us in the fall.

#4 of 39 Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted January 30 2011 - 01:22 AM

O.K. thank you for informing me.....

I´m a huge fan of 70´s and 80´s series (Cannon, Streets of San Francisco, Jake and the Fatman, Columbo, Mannix, Miami Vice, Magnum, Simon&Simon, Hawaii Five O, Matt Houston, Barnaby Jones, Hart to Hart, The Fall Guy,Vega$) etc.....

I never liked the 90´s or 2000 TV shows(Seinfeld, Sex and the City, CSI Miami, Desperate Housewives, Dr. House, Burn Notice) etc...

I

#5 of 39 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted January 30 2011 - 02:03 AM

what I don't like about the new series is that there's so little screen time given to the criminals. What made the Jack Lord series stand out was the amazing guest stars that were able to sink their teeth into bad guy roles. Slim Pickens playing the homicidal head of a family was memorable. Seems like the only times we meet the heavies on the new series is when a 5-O member is next to them. Maybe that will change with the arrival of Iron Chef's Chairman as the new Wo Fat.

The best news is that the Jack Lord series will be wrapped up on DVD by the time the new series hits DVD in the Fall.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#6 of 39 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts

Posted January 30 2011 - 05:18 AM

I agree that the 1970s and 1980s had some awesome police dramas. I did get into silk stalkings around 1999 and was one of the better crime shows.

I only watch one episode of hawaii five-o at christmas time and it really did not spike much interest me. I am classic tv show fan and just do not see the acting/scripts being of high quality anymore. The actors in the past got into their roles.

I also agree with the old hawaii five-o series had some great co-stars, like Leslie Nielsen, hume cronyn, mark lenard, etc. The wo fat character was als very good character, especially early on.

#7 of 39 Mister-Mike

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted February 18 2011 - 05:09 AM

A release of the new show's first season on DVD will probably appear shortly before the premiere of the second season (not yet confirmed, but very likely).

Quote:

I´m not a US-citizen, therefore I´m not able to see the show

There are lots of ways you can see the new show if you are "not a US citizen," none of which can be discussed here. Posted Image

#8 of 39 Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted February 19 2011 - 05:01 AM

I like the new version a WHOLE LOT more than the original. Characters are well-drawn and the cast has amazing chemistry as a team. The newfangled gadgets are fascinating -- I want that computer they use! Scott Caan is great as Danno, and so are Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park. The show has a cohesiveness that makes it rise above most of today's modern dramas. And of course, the original song doesn't hurt either! Was hoping they would re-release it. The updated TV recording of it is exciting.

#9 of 39 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts

Posted February 19 2011 - 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Elena S 

I like the new version a WHOLE LOT more than the original. Characters are well-drawn and the cast has amazing chemistry as a team. The newfangled gadgets are fascinating -- I want that computer they use! Scott Caan is great as Danno, and so are Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park. The show has a cohesiveness that makes it rise above most of today's modern dramas. And of course, the original song doesn't hurt either! Was hoping they would re-release it. The updated TV recording of it is exciting.

Different strokes for different folks as it relates to tv shows and our choices. I do not like the new show and will stick the original, because i am not into all the gagetries along with a female kono. If you are younger than 30 then the old shows at time may be too dated for your taste. I am in my forties and love the old shows, because of the acting/scripts. The new shows try to make up for the acting via technology and marketing characters. Kono as a female in the new series was to appeal to a certain demographics similar to bing bang theory with kaley cuoco. This approach has been done through out decades as part adding sexual appeal to characters.

#10 of 39 Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted February 20 2011 - 05:24 AM

I really been enjoying the new series as well. I have seen some of the original when I was a kid... but not enough to really remember it. I am looking forward to getting the season set on DVD once it is released.

#11 of 39 Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 05:55 AM

The first season of the new series will probably be released in August or September.

Amazon.com has already a link.....

Today the link was mentioned on tvshowsondvd.com

#12 of 39 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,894 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 02 2011 - 07:31 AM

Count me in as another who admits to liking the new show. I feel that Scott Caan (Danny) is the real stand-out of this show. Grace Park and Dan Kim are great, too, but not given nearly as much to do. The real surprise here is that McGarret is, to my mind, the least interesting character (O'Loughlin is okay, but to my eyes he's not nearly as good in his role as Caan is).

I know it might be taboo to say this amongst this crowd, but Jack Lord himself was fairly wooden as McGarrett, too. It may just be the nature of that particular character.

And while I like this show, I can appreciate the old one, too. There are certain episodes of the old show I've rewatched recently that to my eye are still pretty darn good (particularly "Cocoon"), but there are a fair number of clunkers, too, and there are certain things in some of the older shows that just don't seem to ring true rewatching them as an adult.

I also like how the new show worked in a potentially recurring bit part for Al Harrington (they'd supposedly planned to have James MacArthur on as Danny's father, but he died before that could happen), and worked in the old show's famous car.

So, I would recommend to the OP that you try the show out for yourself. I wasn't expecing much when I first tuned in (I'm not usually very keen on remakes), but was pleasantly surprised.

#13 of 39 Statskeeper

Statskeeper

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted May 04 2011 - 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

I know it might be taboo to say this amongst this crowd, but Jack Lord himself was fairly wooden as McGarrett, too. It may just be the nature of that particular character.

I'll agree that over time Lord was wooden, but it probably was the nature of the character and the fact he had been doing the role for so long. But I must say that after seeing him in other work he was quite effective. I caught a Suspense Theater episode he starred in on RTV a couple of weeks ago and he was quite good conveying a range of emotions. McGarrett just simply didn't call for much range most of the time.

As for the new Five-O I already preordered it. It's one of the few network shows I actually watch in real time.

#14 of 39 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 10:42 AM

I'm going to guess that Season 1 of the revival show will be released in September. I'm wondering (and this just a theory) whether Paramount Home Entertainment (UK) will release Season 8 of the original show will be released at the same time as the first season of the revival show.

#15 of 39 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 10:47 AM

TVShowsOnDVD have posted a news article on their website for the first season of Hawaii Five-0:

Hawaii Five-0: The First Season - TVShowsOnDVD.com news article

Good to see it's being released on the same day as Season 11 of the original series.

Don't like the front cover artwork at all. Much prefer the main cast picture seen on EpGuides.com's page for the revival show.

The season finale premieres in the UK this coming Sunday night.

#16 of 39 Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 11:55 PM

I´ve just read the news. I´ve got a question: I would prefer to have Season 1 on Blu-ray instead of DVD. When can we expect a Blu-ray date or won´t Season 1 be released on Blu-ray?

#17 of 39 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 07 2011 - 02:03 AM

I was dying to see this show and since it was NOT announced for BLU on the DVD announcement I would say we won't see it in HD, meaning it looked better when it was broadcast and now you have a DVD. I never watched the show when it aired and was going to buy it on blu. However I realize many shows don't sell well on Blu, I would imagine this one would have sold reasonably well even for those who never watched the show.

I keep hearing intersting cast updates for season 2 and I have a feeling the show could grow to a larger audience.

So no BLU means I will never see this show. I still buy DVDs for Mannix etc, but this is a brand new show, I won't watch it is standard def.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#18 of 39 Statskeeper

Statskeeper

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 02:25 AM

I cancelled my preorder in the hopes that there would be a blu ray release. The show looks amazing in high def - why wouldn't there be a blu release? Amazon has a sign-up for notification of a blu release, which must mean there is some interest.

#19 of 39 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,573 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 02:54 AM

I really have a problem purchasing SD versions of material I viewed OTA in HD. No Blu-ray release,no sale. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#20 of 39 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino 

I´ve just read the news.

It was posted later on yesterday, so I thought I'd post it while on here.

I doubt it, but it would be nice if the deleted scenes could be branched into the episodes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users