What's new

Help with connecting laptop and computer (1 Viewer)

cape

Auditioning
Real Name
sebastian
[COLOR= black]Hi,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]I have a [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(67, 70, 73)]Toshiba 40" 1080p 120HzLED-LCD HDTV 40UL605U w, a Belkin [/COLOR][COLOR= black]NWireless Router ([/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]F5D8236-4) and an HPPavilion dv6748 us Laptop.[/COLOR]

Can I display my laptop to my TV using only the router? The TV is wi-fi capable.

Thanks in advance for the help

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What are you trying to do?

If the TV has home media features, like showing photos from your computer, that should work. If the TV has internet applications, like Pandora or Netflix, that will work over wifi. But if you want to play, say a TV show from Hulu on your computer to watch on your TV, I think you need a direct video connection between laptop and TV.

There are other things that will pull media wirelessly from a PC to a TV, like an Xbox or AppleTV or Tivo. Maybe your TV has features to do this? But generally, with just a TV and a computer, I think you need a direct video connection to play video.

cape

Auditioning
Real Name
sebastian
Thanks Dave,

Yeah, My intention was to stream hulu or open this forum from my laptop and have it displayed on my TV.

How can you do it with an xbox though?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know the details, but an xbox 360 can stream media from a computer running windows media center. I stream music from a Mac to an xbox; it works well and was easy. But I've done anything with video. But I don't know that it can display web browsing from a remote computer. Or, if you're using a laptop, you can buy a $10 video cable from monoprice.com and ug it into you tv directly. That's what I do for my infrequent need to watch a hulu show on tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks