Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with connecting laptop and computer

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   cape

cape

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 29 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi,

I have a Toshiba 40" 1080p 120HzLED-LCD HDTV 40UL605U w, a Belkin NWireless Router (F5D8236-4) and an HPPavilion dv6748 us Laptop.

Can I display my laptop to my TV using only the router? The TV is wi-fi capable.

Thanks in advance for the help

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,505 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 30 2011 - 03:22 AM

What are you trying to do? If the TV has home media features, like showing photos from your computer, that should work. If the TV has internet applications, like Pandora or Netflix, that will work over wifi. But if you want to play, say a TV show from Hulu on your computer to watch on your TV, I think you need a direct video connection between laptop and TV. There are other things that will pull media wirelessly from a PC to a TV, like an Xbox or AppleTV or Tivo. Maybe your TV has features to do this? But generally, with just a TV and a computer, I think you need a direct video connection to play video.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   cape

cape

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Dave, Yeah, My intention was to stream hulu or open this forum from my laptop and have it displayed on my TV. How can you do it with an xbox though?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,505 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 31 2011 - 03:58 PM

I don't know the details, but an xbox 360 can stream media from a computer running windows media center. I stream music from a Mac to an xbox; it works well and was easy. But I've done anything with video. But I don't know that it can display web browsing from a remote computer. Or, if you're using a laptop, you can buy a $10 video cable from monoprice.com, and ug it into you tv directly. That's what I do for my infrequent need to watch a hulu show on tv.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users