What's new

My Top 10 unreleased 50's Shows (1 Viewer)

Inspired by the 60's thread, here are my top 10 unreleased 50's shows:

1. The Lineup (AKA, San Francisco Beat) over 200 episodes without a single DVD release.

2. Navy Log

3. Broken Arrow

4. The Californians

5. Trackdown

6. Colt .45

7. Yancy Derringer

8. Richard Diamond

9. Men Into Space

10. The Dinah Shore Chevy Show

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Mine would include series that started in the 1950s and continued into the 1960s (my favourite decade for TV)

1. Lassie

2. Hawaiian Eye

3. 77 Sunset Strip

4. The Liberace Show (a few episodes have been released but I would like the full series)

5. The Third Man (with Michael Rennie)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Men into Space

Lassie

Sea Hunt

Fury

77 Sunset Strip

Bourbon Street Beat

Surfside Six

Science Fiction Theatre

Rin Tin Tin

My Friend Flicka

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Here in R2 there have been a few Rin Tin Tin DVDs released. These episodes are actually in colour rather than monochrome.

S

silverking

The region 2 RTT's DVD'S are best avoided. The colourisation is so so, but all the music has been changed & the episodes are heavily edited versions.

2 seasons of the High Chaparral available in Germany with dual soundtrack. Very nice quality.

I think some Lassie also.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverking

The region 2 RTT's DVD'S are best avoided. The colourisation is so so, but all the music has been changed & the episodes are heavily edited versions.

2 seasons of the High Chaparral available in Germany with dual soundtrack. Very nice quality.

I think some Lassie also.

Thanks for the R2 info, Chris. I've almost bitten on those Rin Tin Tin sets in the past, so this is good to know. I'd go for some Lassie dvds, but only if they were season sets.

Gary "right now the exchange rate isn't very good so I'm abstaining from most of the Germany & France R2 sets" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
1. The People's Choice

2. Hennesey

3. The Line-Up

4. The Millionaire

5. Five Fingers

6. The Alaskans

7. Our Miss Brooks

8. Science Fiction Theatre

9. Desilu Playhouse

10. Whirlybirds

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Since I didn't see any specific rules (are we talking shows with no releases at all or can we include shows that have only had "best of" releases, but not season set releases?) this is my list:

1) Ozzie and Harriet

2) Lassie

3) Navy Log

4) Rin Tin Tin

5) The Millionaire

6) Our Miss Brooks

7) Fireside Theatre

8) Noah's Ark

9) Doctor Christian

10) Circus Boy

Gary "of course, as with all lists of this type, I reserve the right to change my mind about 10 times a day" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Dr. Kildare started in 1961

Doh! I knew that. I'll amend my list.

Gary "I'd like to see 'Navy Log' so I'll go with that one as a replacement" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Choices should be shows without any significant release at all, not even "best of" collections.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
It's hard to choose just 10. This was a great decade for Television!

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
The Millionaire
Death Valley Days
Hawaiian Eye
Johnny Ringo
The Jack Benny Program
Your Show of Shows
The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
General Electric Theater
77 Sunset Strip

Although there are several episodes available on PD releases of Mr & Mrs North, I sure would like to see an official, restored release of the ENTIRE series.

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
1. 77 Sunset Strip

2. Adventures in Paradise

3. Hawaiian Eye

4. Sky King

5. Yancy Derringer

6. Bat Masterson

7. Broken Arrow

8. Bronco

9. Bat Masterson

10. The Rebel

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobPON
1. 77 Sunset Strip

2. Adventures in Paradise

3. Hawaiian Eye

4. Sky King

5. Yancy Derringer

6. Bat Masterson

7. Broken Arrow

8. Bronco

9. Bat Masterson

10. The Rebel

Bob, Just an fyi on Sky King, It's available, an official release but it wasn't released as an online/store wide release and it's expensive ($249 for the series). According to the site page, the prints are remastered though. There are a few members here that have this set and perhaps they will give their input on the set. The link is here .

Good list above. My list of 50's shows is small, but here's a few:

Lassie, especially the "Timmy" years as those are the ones that I watched as a kid. I'd want the "Jeff" years as well.
77 Sunset Strip Would be a virtual blind buy but I might pick this one up if available

Death Valley Days Haven't seen those since Dad watched that show. Didn't realize that this show was that long-running.

Lone Ranger (S1 was in 1949) Completed series, especially the Clayon Moore seasons

Originally Posted by Regulus .

I've not bought that set yet, waiting to see if perhaps Shout might pick this one up for an R1 release. Current exchange rate price isn't bad for a 5-season set: 76.98 EURO = $105.58 US (less shipping). Works out to a little over $25/season but doesn't include shipping in that price. This one's another one that I've almost bought a few times. The German audio track "Defaults" on this set's menu, at least on my Pioneer Std DVD player but it's easy to swich to the English track. Transfer Q looks good for the age of the series (1955-1960).

S

silverking

Fury S1 is also available in the UK from Network. Prints are better than the German release but some segments have the long original opening whilst others have a shorter version.

S

silverking

My 10 50's shows

Dragnet (no real release for this classic yet)

San Francisco Beat

The Alaskans

Adventures of Rin-Tin-Tin

O.S.S.

The Rebel

Two Faces West

Dial 999

Fabian of the Yard

The Roaring 20's (Yeah, I know it was 1960 but close)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by silverking
Fury S1 is also available in the UK from Network. Prints are better than the German release but some segments have the long original opening whilst others have a shorter version.

Thanks for the info. I haven't checked the Network site in a long time, I wish the complete series was available there as it is at Amazon Germany,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks