What's new

Help with Denon 5800 turns on then off. (1 Viewer)

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I got the call from my kids saying the Denon turns on then turns off and the little red power light starts to blink. When I got home the same thing. The small red light above the power switch is usually always on. But when the reciever starts to turn on it goes throught its normal startup of clicks and everything lights up and right when the sound usually starts to come out of the speakers the reciever shuts off and the light starts to blink. When you press the power switch it just stops the blinking light and it goes back to solid and the whole process starts over. I thought it was the surge protector so I plugged it in different outlets over the house same result. I could not find anything in the manuel about the blinking light but nothing. I thought maybe it was overheating so I checked for that but nothing. Any help would be great I can't afford a new reciever and the money I spent on this one Iexpected it to last 20 years.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
My guess, frayed speaker wire touching another binding post causing a short. Remove all your speaker wire connections and plug them back in one at a time testing for a short.

JB

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I will try when I get home, I thought I checked the wires but I had better recheck and I will check all the other connections. Thanks for the quick reply so I can get this thing back up and running.

Real Name
Jim Wyrosdick
Originally Posted by MarkSchro

I will try when I get home, I thought I checked the wires but I had better recheck and I will check all the other connections....

Mark, do you know how to check the wiring other than by just a simple visual inspection? Also, the simple act of "disturbing" the wiring by touching it to check it is enough to change a short circuit condition to open circuit. If you have a simple DMM use it in ohms/continuity mode. One of these guys can walk you through it or I can if need be, but one of them would probably word it better than I would.

Jim@MilkyWay

-------------------

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I will need some help with checking the continuity mode. I unplugged every speaker cable going to the receiver last night and same thing. My next step is to unplug everything going to the receiver which is my worst nightmare. I have all 7 speakers and 2 other rooms hooked up as well as all my video and audio switching going into that thing. I guess its time to do spring cleaning and yank it out blow out the dust and see if it will turn on. I have a little over a week before Superbowl so I am worried it might need to go in the shop. I hate to fix it because it is out dated and has no hdmi switching but it was super expensive. I will try this weekend to pull it out of the cabinet which will not be easy. Thanks for the input. I will look for my DMM if I can find it.

Mark

Real Name
Jim Wyrosdick

I will need some help with checking the continuity mode....

Mark

My suggestion stems from John Brill, who posted the first reply to your original post. ' Ever heard of Occam's Razor? John is like me in hoping that you will hit the lottery when a shorted speaker wire turns out to be the one and only problem.

I am not quite sure how to suggest you proceed. The continuity check I suggested is for individual cable and speaker checks only. It will not help you with amplifier issues. Also, each test requires a momentary disconnect of each speaker wire from the receiver in order to check that individual cable/speaker set. You guys who know how to proceed need to jump in here any time.

Jim@MilkyWay

---------------------

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I unplugged every cable to the receiver and blew out all the dust and took it to 3 different dedicated outlets and still as soon as it goes through it's start up

it shuts off and the red light blinks until you hit the power button and it resets again. Any suggestion besides taking it to the shop?

Next question would any of you guys fix it or scrap it and get a receiver with hdmi switching?

Real Name
Jim Wyrosdick
....would any of you guys fix it or scrap it and get a receiver with hdmi switching?

Mark

I am going to try this again. I just composed a reply then hit something wrong and threw it away ( I guess ).

First, be aware that I am completely without knowledge and/or experience with ht gear, but it seems to me, based merely on price that this is a higher end model. To that end, if it still meets your needs and you have been pleased with it, then you might find it worth repairing, provided the bill is less than a quarter of the replacement cost. A quarter is just off the top of my head. If money is no obstacle, then you would be better served to update. If you do go this route, then let me know and I will gladly send you a prepaid shipping box and label so you can pack and ship it to me so I will have something to play with and try to resurrect. (- :

Jim@MilkyWay

-----------

Brother David

Auditioning
Real Name
David McGee
There is a simple reset process that may help you. I am very aware of the sound quality with the 5800; and to maintain this level of sound and power with HDMI is just over $5,000 (especially if you went with the factory upgrade several years ago). Anyway, here is the process to reset your microprocessor:

AVR-5800

From Factory Reset

1. Switch off the unit and remove the AC cord from the wall outlet.
  2. Press and hold the DIRECT buttons and STEREO buttons, and at the same time, plug in the AC cord.
  3. Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons and the microprocessor will be initialized and the factory reset process complete.
I hope this helps.

Brother David

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I tried this but no luck, I found it in the manual and was hoping. I took it into the shop yesterday. I found a Denon repair center

close to my work so I will wait and see.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about that Mark, but that is nuts, especially that the reset didn't help. I've had a Denon 3802 receiver that has been running for close to 10 years straight, never turned off except for house moves and lightning storms and the microprocessor has only glitched once. Good luck!

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Does not look good for the repair. The factory Denon guy has had it for 2 weeks and told me it is very hard to figure out the problem. He was saying it sounds like the power supply as well as one of the amps. It is hard to believe out of all the stero av's I have owned Kenwood, Yamaha etc. this was the top of the line Denon and it died very early on and I have never had another piece die before except vcr's and dvd players. The repair can not even give me a quote yet, which makes me think it is going to be very expensive to fix. Bummed....

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Don't buy a Denon they have been no help to my issue and their authorized repair center gave my 5800 back and said they have no idea what is wrong and sent me on my way,

Now Denon said drive 50 miles and try another repair place. Brutal, it has been a month with receiver and no surround.

Brother David

Auditioning
Real Name
David McGee
I can identify with your frustration. I just wanted to say, while I am aware of the sound quality of Denon, I do not have a very high opinion of their "autherized" repair centers. You might be better off finding a highly respected electronics repair shop that can obtain and will use Denon replacement parts.

mrorvis

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
I had the same problem when I recently purchased a used Denon AVR-4802. I was a bit perplexed at first but the only connections I had made were a cd player and a pair of speakers.....on/off, on/off. After fiddling with speaker connections I found that I indeed did have a short where one off my connections was also touching reciever case,, rewired and were good as new...now if I can figure out the remote:)

Bruce

Rpavone67

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Pavone
Mark, I own a 5800. I went through the same problem a few years ago. I opted not to bring it to Denon. Instead, I took the unit to a local repair shop that deals with higher end equipment. They repaired the unit for about $300. That was 4 years ago. Receiver has worked perfectly since then, until 2 nights ago. I was watching a movie and the sound when out. I also noticed a burning smell. Long and short, the same thing happens. As soon as sound plays, the receiver cuts out and the light blinks. This is the second time I've gone through this. I've disconnected the unit and will be bringing it to the same place for repair. They should have a record of the repair from a few years ago. I'm going to check to see if they do. If so, I'll let you know what was repaired. Personally, I think it has something to do with the speakers and speaker volume control I'm running in zone 2. Like you, I expected this receiver to last a very long time. For me, a $300 repair is worth the price... Curious if you've made any headway...

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I have sent it to another repair shop that told me it would be no problem to fix, it has now been a week and no call from them yet. I will wait till next week and check in to see where they are at.

I'm glad you posted what happened to yours so I can tell them to check out zone 2. I use some old parasound amps running my zone 2 and 3. I use the Denon amps for 7.1 in my main room.

Not sure if your using the built in amps for your zone 2 or if your using ouboard amps for it. Please keep me posted on what they needed to fix, I really appreciate it.

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I just got the call from the repair shop they said 2 of the power supplies need to be replaced and one channel was bad. They said around $300 to fix it as well.

Funny the price is around the same even though they found different problems. I hope they fix it right.

Mark

Rpavone67

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Pavone
Mark... I finally got in touch with the repair shop. i asked them to pull the old ticket to see what was actually repaired. I was wrong. Had nothing to do with zone 2. Repair was same as yours. 2 power supplies and a few other minor things were wrong. The repair cost $325 total. I'll be bringing mine in next week. Just haven't had a chance yet. In meantime I hooked up a spare unit. Odd that Denon could not figure that out! That's REALLY unacceptable...

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I am definitely not buying Denon again I paid over $300 to fix the bad soldering and new power supplies. It now works again but the new problem is that all

the ananlog inputs don't work so I can't use my multi zone or xbox or wii that don't have digital outs. Time to have a launch off the roof party and say goodbye to

4 months of headaches dealing with Denon and their poor repair centers...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks