-

Photo
- - - - -

HTF REVIEW: Logitech Revue with Google TV

Hardware Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#21 of 65 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted May 07 2011 - 12:21 PM

All;

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I owned a Logitech Revue for a couple of months and thought I would add my thoughts.

Overall the Revue is just what you would expect from Logitech, a solid, well designed product.  But it just doesn't come close enough to the HTPC experience [IMO] to justify it's price tag.  Ron.  I noticed you spec'd an HTPC at $1300.00.  If you buy new off the shelf then that is probably true, but I paid $300.00 [used] for my base quad core system.  It's a Gateway LX6200 and admittedly a rare deal, but I would think you could easily build a reasonable HTPC for around $600.00.

Back to the Revue.  I'm not a Dish customer at present so I can't speak to that topic.  What the Revue did for me was whet my appetite for a real HTPC.  I like to stream content from sites such as Hulu [which expressly restricts the Revue last I checked] and ATDHE, a great sports site.  The latter can require specific codecs, which the Revue doesn't include.  Since you can't add anything to it, you're simply out of luck if the codec you require isn't supported.

The Logitech Revue attempts to reinvent something that does not need to be reinvented.  At it's heart it is simply a dumbed down PC with lots of limitations power users are just not accustomed to these days.  Don't get me wrong, I do believe the Revue has a place in todays world, but not so much for enthusiasts such as the HTF population at large.  I see this product being of the most use to neophytes who just want simple functionality without hassles.  I suspect Logitech sees it the same way, and in that sense, they have probably hit a home run.

John

"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#22 of 65 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 10 2011 - 05:33 AM

Good news, major update incoming for this device:

http://thisismynext....5/10/google-tv/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#23 of 65 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,887 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 10 2011 - 05:45 AM

Any word on how it will enhance the watching of TV?

#24 of 65 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 07:55 AM

No, but don't you get it?  ANGRY BIRDS!!!!!  =p

#25 of 65 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,887 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 08:20 AM

That's what I fear. For $150, I can buy a Wii and AAA games, not merely bawdlerized Angry Birds.

But I guess I'm just being silly, thinking a TV device for watching TV ought to improve the experience of watching TV; and not bring the fourth copy of the same apps I've got working far better on various other devices.

We'll see. Fingers crossed.

#26 of 65 OFFLINE   LarS2

LarS2

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 08:43 AM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the price drop? I got my Revue from Amazon for $199. At that price, I figured I'd get it. After a couple weeks I really like it. I especially like the ability to show my on-line pictures on Picasa.

#27 of 65 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 10:33 AM

$199 is still crazy. For $299 I got a 24" TV with Google TV built in... Welcome to HTF tho!

#28 of 65 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:22 PM

I just got in the new Roku devices.   I have to catch a series of crazy flights tomorrow, but I'll have to try and give it a whirl next week.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#29 of 65 OFFLINE   LarS2

LarS2

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted July 21 2011 - 05:04 AM

Yes, there does seem to be some inequity there, but watching it on my 60 inch plasma is quite different from the 24 incher. For those like me who have older large screen TVs without internet amenities, the Revue makes some sense. I was about to purchase a Roku, but the Revue has so much more to offer, I figured it was a deal at just $99 more. So far I'm really having fun and hoping future updates will make it better yet (maybe not if it doesn't start selling better). The ability to browse on-line and use Google's search to find programming is to me a big step up from the Roku.

#30 of 65 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 05:12 AM

Shot down in flames.... http://www.engadget....ue-price-slash/ LMAO:

Logitech: More people are returning Google TV boxes than buying them

http://www.splatf.co...logitech-revue/

#31 of 65 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted July 28 2011 - 06:00 AM

Wow.. at $99 one of them will be mine. I've been interested for a while, and have faith that Google will get this thing up and going, especially with Android.

#32 of 65 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts

Posted July 28 2011 - 08:14 AM

Will be interesting to see if these guys get the latest Google updates and if it makes a big difference. $99 is a much better price, but still a hard sell if this is the last Logitech will ever touch it...

#33 of 65 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 09:30 AM

I still think the Revue has a potential future, but it needs to be redesigned for neophyte use since that's where it's ultimate appeal lies. This type of experimentation is also what ultimately produces all great products, so Logitech and Google should be applauded on that level. It would be an awesome product if it weren't for those pesky HTPC's.

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#34 of 65 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,887 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 09:50 AM

My guess is GoogleTV has little life as a standalone product -- a tiny niche if it even remains on the market. But, per the Android model, as something becomes the basis of third-party "cable box" or DVR devices I can see it being quite useful.

#35 of 65 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 01:33 PM

Never mind, I'm a dumbass.

#36 of 65 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,953 posts

Posted July 31 2011 - 04:00 AM

UPDATE FROM LOGITECH   We wanted to let you know that the Logitech Revue with Google TV will be available for $99 starting Sunday, July 31.   As you know, the Logitech Revue gives people a streamlined experience with their HDTV and the Web, video calling, apps and more. And stay tuned: with the expected release of Version 2 of Google TV later this summer, the Logitech Revue connected-TV experience should get even richer. When V2 goes live, all new and existing Logitech Revue users will automatically receive the updated version, built on Android 3.1. Among other benefits, V2 will offer a simplified user experience and access to the Android Market.      

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#37 of 65 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,887 posts

Posted July 31 2011 - 06:49 AM

It's amazing you can buy what's essentially a computer from Logitech for less than their Harmony remote control.

#38 of 65 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted July 31 2011 - 03:59 PM

Just placed my order. Pretty excited...

#39 of 65 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:32 AM

My guess is GoogleTV has little life as a standalone product -- a tiny niche if it even remains on the market.

Dave. Think about the wives (generally speaking) :) If it were simplified for that type of user, I know mine would be on board.

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#40 of 65 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 06:32 AM

It's amazing you can buy what's essentially a computer from Logitech for less than their Harmony remote control.

Great observation! Perhaps they're just clearing out their remaining inventory.

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels