What's new

Quickie: Which screen to match this projector in this room? (1 Viewer)

dimsumfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Looks like I'm getting the Epson 8700 projector for a completely dark (no windows) 12' x 18' room. Looking at a 92" screen (or slightly larger, at most) from Screen Innovations. Will a "basic" Sensations series screen in matte white do the trick (running about $500), or should I invest more money and look at something in the Performance or Reference series?

Don't want to overspend for something not necessary, but want to make sure I'm serving myself well. Thanks!

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
What colors are the ceiling and walls? Are there any large openings into other rooms? Do you want to watch with some moderate ambient light for any occasions?

dimsumfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
We will be painting the walls chocolate brown. (Dark chocolate, always better!) Ceiling will probably be close to that color; maybe just a tinge lighter for contrast. But maybe the same. No openings to other rooms. Usually no ambient lighting. Dedicated room.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Your planned screen should be adequate, unless it is not a smooth surface. Their low end matte material used to have a definite texture to it, which would interfere with 1080p resolution. I don't have a recent sample to see if that's still the case. The ceiling is usually the closest reflective room boundary to the screen. It should be darker, rather than lighter. A 1.0 gain matte screen is very susceptible to light and color contamination from nearby reflective room surfaces. Poor room design can result in diminished performance from the equipment being used and all programs being viewed and/or heard on the system.

dimsumfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Thanks. I called Screen Innovations, and they confirmed that the Sensation level screen I was considering is a poor choice. Textured, like you wrote, losing all the benefits of HD. I can consider a higher level screen from Screen Innovations, running at just over $1000, but if someone has suggestions of other fixed screens to consider, I'd love to know.

Ottawa

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Conroy
Hi Dimsumfan,

Turns out I'm looking at the same projector as you. My room, oddly shapped since it is our TV/HT Hifi room (not dedicated), currently has white walls and a white panel (dropped) ceiling. The panels aren't very reflective though. I know I can paint the walls, but painting the tiles could prove painful and putting up drywall on the ceiling also seems like a lot of work. What screen from SI should I be looking at if I can darken my walls?

There is one window in the room, but the blind on it does a great job. I would say that them ambient lighting is very dim the blind is closed.

Thanks!

K

dimsumfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
I went Performance Series white. But I would encourage you to call SI and give them your specs. I found them to be very helpful!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I painted my acoustic ceiling tiles flat black, and that's what I recommend. It's time consuming, but certainly isn't "painful". Prime them first. I took them down to paint. Leaving the ceiling white is a huge mistake with a projector.

Originally Posted by Ottawa

Hi Dimsumfan,

Turns out I'm looking at the same projector as you. My room, oddly shapped since it is our TV/HT Hifi room (not dedicated), currently has white walls and a white panel (dropped) ceiling. The panels aren't very reflective though. I know I can paint the walls, but painting the tiles could prove painful and putting up drywall on the ceiling also seems like a lot of work. What screen from SI should I be looking at if I can darken my walls?

There is one window in the room, but the blind on it does a great job. I would say that them ambient lighting is very dim the blind is closed.

Thanks!

K

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks