Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony speaker system

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   shaolinfox30

shaolinfox30

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 06:38 AM

I am in a position to buy a Sony SA-VA55 system for SUPER cheap, but can't find any useful info regarding sound quality/ reviews or opinions at all. Anyone have input on this?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 24 2011 - 09:07 AM

Here's an online manual for the system.

Well, it's pretty old (ancient, almost!).  Basically, it's a four speaker system that has built-in Dolby ProLogic decoding and uses IR for semi-wireless surround speakers (the surrounds are wired to each other, and one of them is plugged into a wall outlet for power).

I guess the bottom line is if it's really cheap and your only alternative is to use the TV speakers, this will likely be an improvement, but overall what are you goals with this system?  What sources are you using - cable, dvd, game system, blu-ray?

The downsides to this system include:

1) No modern decoding capabilities - no true digital 5.1.

2) Limited expandability - there may be a couple of stereo inputs, but not enough for many sources.

3) No dedicated center channel speaker - the manual mentions having the ability to add a small center channel speaker, but I didn't read closely enough to know what that's all about.

Realistically, if you have any desire to expand and grow your system later on down the road, this is a dead end product.  You'll wind up tossing the whole thing if you want anything "more".

Tell us what you're hoping to accomplish and maybe we can determine for sure if it's worth your time or not.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   shaolinfox30

shaolinfox30

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 25 2011 - 07:20 AM

From your info this sounds useless to me. Seller is asking only $30, but what I have for a system is much better. My system is kind of pieced together, this is what I'm working with: Onkyo 5.1 receiver polks / yamaha's up front rear surrounds JVC center channel BA subs: velodyne/sony/BA/kenwood inputs: xbox 360 - PC - comcast high def. box Brand new Optoma 720p DLP proj. Samsung 32" crt tv Can't remember model #'s (@ work right now)

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 25 2011 - 07:33 AM

Yeah - it's pretty useless, especially in light of what you currently have.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,792 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 25 2011 - 12:40 PM

Although what you currently have for speakers/sub woofers looks like a mess to me  ! But what you already have is still much better than that $30 Sony system.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   shaolinfox30

shaolinfox30

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 01:04 AM

Thanks kids :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users