What's new

Warner Bros. MGM musicals on Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Warner Bros. How about releasing some musicals on Blu-ray?

Bewteen WB and MGM you have the bulk of the best musicals, yet you have released less than a handful

An Anerican in Paris

A Star is Born

The Music Man

How about a few more this year?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Warners also released Gigi on Blu-ray, but I agree with you. Warners has an uncommonly large collection of musical masterpieces that deserve to be seen in all their high def splendor.

Didn't I read they're saving Singin' in the Rain for next year? A long wait for one of the greats.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
To date Warner has been rather skin flint on the musical home front. To date we have The Wizard of Oz, Singin' In The Rain, Meet Me In St. Louis, An American In Paris, Gigi, Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, and Camelot.
The musicals I'd really like to see Warner go gung-ho with complete ground up 1080p remasters in 4k minimum are as follows and I've structured them according to my personal favs first:
The Great Ziegfeld
Anchors Aweigh
High Society
The Harvey Girls
Bathing Beauty
Summer Stock
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Student Prince
Hit The Deck
Bells are Ringing
Till The Clouds Roll By
Words and Music
Silk Stockings
Maytime
Holiday in Mexico
Victor/Victoria
For Me And My Gal
Broadway Melody of 1936/38/40
Cabin in the Sky
Show Boat
Royal Wedding
Kiss Me Kate
Easy to Love
The Merry Widow (Chevalier/MacDonald)
Lovely to Look At
Nancy Goes to Rio
A Date With Judy
Million Dollar Mermaid
That Midnight Kiss
Gypsy
Rosalie
Rose Marie (MacDonald/Eddy version)
The Great Caruso
Ziegfeld Girl
Babes on Broadway
Babes in Arms
Strike Up The Band
Girl Crazy
I Love Melvin
The Band Wagon
The Chocolate Soldier
Thousands Cheer
This Is The Army
Thank Your Lucky Stars
Love Me Or Leave Me
Calamity Jane
Romance on the High Seas
Easter Parade
The Pirate
Yolanda And the Thief
Deep In My Heart
Annie Get Your Gun
Three Little Words
The Barkley's of Broadway
Swing Time
Carefree
Top Hat
The Toast of New Orleans
Les Girls

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Nick*Z /t/308206/warner-bros-mgm-musicals-on-blu-ray#post_3974525
To date Warner has been rather skin flint on the musical home front. To date we have The Wizard of Oz, Singin' In The Rain, Meet Me In St. Louis, An American In Paris, Gigi, Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, and Camelot.
The musicals I'd really like to see Warner go gung-ho with complete ground up 1080p remasters in 4k minimum are as follows and I've structured them according to my personal favs first:
Well they have let out a few rumors from the water-tank that THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, GYPSY and SHOWBOAT is on it's way next year along with a redo of THE MUSIC MAN. They have GUYS AND DOLLS and HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON up for December, so they are working on it.

But I agree we need a Blu of THE HARVEY GIRLS, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and THE BANDWAGON for sure. I would hope that in their announcement of Blu-ray collections coming next year that we would get a Rooney/Garland set. Ahhh - GIRL CRAZY in Blu, I guess i will be "biddin' my time".

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd guess we'd get Easter Parade before we'd get The Harvey Girls. Easter Parade got an Ultra-Resolution restoration (as did The Band Wagon) so I'm guessing a Blu-ray release would bring out its strong hues and clarity more fully which Warners could trumpet. But that's just a guess.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
ahollis said:
Well they have let out a few rumors from the water-tank that THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, GYPSY and SHOWBOAT is on it's way next year along with a redo of THE MUSIC MAN.  They have GUYS AND DOLLS and HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON up for December, so they are working on it.
But I agree we need a Blu of THE HARVEY GIRLS, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and THE BANDWAGON for sure. I would hope that in their announcement of Blu-ray collections coming next year that we would get a Rooney/Garland set.  Ahhh - GIRL CRAZY in Blu, I guess i will be "biddin' my time".
I hope that SHOWBOAT will include all versions. Although I think the 1936 version is best, each has its pleasures. There was one laserdisc release of the 1951 version that featured a really vibrant stereo track created, I believe, from the different angle microphone tracks. OF COURSE they should include the original mono version, but I hope they include that stereo soundtrack as an option because I love it (it wasn't used on the rather poor looking DVD version).
A new version of THE MUSIC MAN would be welcome as the current blu-ray strikes me as a bit digital, and the color isn't as pretty as I think it could be. It's not bad to the point I don't enjoy it, I'm just not going to buy it again until I read a review or two averring that it is more filmlike. I have owned that movie in so many formats it isn't even funny; Warners has gotten their money's worth on that title from me (and may again if they make a noticeable improvement).

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I know that not many people agree with me, but I love KISMET with Howard Keel, also an MGM title through Warner. The (oop) DVD looks good; I think it could look great in blu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree completely about that stereo track for SHOW BOAT. It needs to be on any future release of that version.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Kismet's not a terrible musical. It just doesn't belong in the same class as, say, Meet Me In St. Louis. But I still like it too.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I hope that SHOWBOAT will include all versions. Although I think the 1936 version is best, each has its pleasures. There was one laserdisc release of the 1951 version that featured a really vibrant stereo track created, I believe, from the different angle microphone tracks. OF COURSE they should include the original mono version, but I hope they include that stereo soundtrack as an option because I love it (it wasn't used on the rather poor looking DVD version). [/COLOR]

That LD, which I have as a special 3-film box set, included audio tests of various people who did not get the roles in the 1951 film. There was a Gene Kelly LD with audio tracks also of takes. Don't recall any DVDs that continued this practice.

We have discussed the Showboat special edition that was planned in Blu Ray some years ago but nothing more has happened except some of the missing soundtrack discs have surfaced but not all.

Any one know about the Nov release of the Blu Ray That's Entertainment? Is this the same as the previous Blu release(that reviews stopped me form buying) or a corrected set?

That's Dancing would be good on Blu Ray.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
That LD, which I have as a special 3-film box set, included audio tests of various people who did not get the roles in the 1951 film. There was a Gene Kelly LD with audio tracks also of takes. Don't recall any DVDs that continued this practice.
I believe OZ and HARVEY GIRLS are the only ones that featured extensive session tracks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mark B /t/308206/warner-bros-mgm-musicals-on-blu-ray#post_3974878
I believe OZ and HARVEY GIRLS are the only ones that featured extensive session tracks.

The 3-disc Garland laserdisc set that included The Harvey Girls, The Pirate, and Summer Stock had the same extensive recording session takes as the Kelly laserdisc box had if I remember correctly.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Let's not forget the wonderful 'SUMMER HOLIDAY" with that great score by Harry Warren.
Not sure if the if the original Technicolor elements are in decent shape though, as both the Laserdisc and the current DVD look fairly ordinary.
"Best Foot Forward" would also be welcomed.
Of all the candidates for Blu-ray treatment, "Annie Get Your Gun" will always get my number one vote.
As a side note and away from the blu-ray thread for a moment,
Anybody who loves the magical orchestrations, arrangements and sound of the MGM Orchestra should rush out and buy "A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals" DVD featuring the John Wilson Orchestra with Guests, live from the Royal Albert Hall.
It is available on the BBC label(region 2) in the UK and I believe that a US region one release is coming soon.
John Wilson accurately recreates the original classic MGM Orchestra sound in breathtaking Stereo.
It's worth the cost of the DVD just to see and hear the Orchestra go all out on the big dance sequence from "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers"
"Bless yore Beautiful Hide", It is a real knock-out.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I too was curious about the soon to be released That's Entertainment box. It would seem odd if it was just a re-issue, since I don't recall the other set going OOP. Still, you never know.
I am more concerned over the fact that there are ZERO Fred Astaire musicals on Blu-Ray (well, at least in the US - there is a European version of Funny Face). Yes, there are clips of him in the That's Entertainment box, but none of his full musicals (his only Blus are Towering Inferno and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town).
I will say, in the new Singin' In The Rain documentary, there were some clips from Swing Time and Top Hat. The Swing Time clips were ok, but the Top Hat clips looked terrific.
I also second the wish for That's Dancing (for my copy I made an extra disc with three additional numbers - Steam Heat from The Pajama Game, Nice Work If You Can Get It from A Damsel In Distress, and the incomparable Jumpin' Jive from Stormy Weather performed by the Nicholas Brothers)
David

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
MattH. said:
The 3-disc Garland laserdisc set that included The Harvey Girls, The Pirate, and Summer Stock had the same extensive recording session takes as the Kelly laserdisc box had if I remember correctly.
I was referring to tracks that made their way over to the DVD releases.
Laserdiscs that featured sessions:
GARLAND set: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/laser.html
KELLY set: a few tracks from ON THE TOWN, extensive tracks from BRIGADOON and IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER
THE COMPLETE SHOW BOAT: some audio from the 1929 film; extensive sessions from the 1951 film
MGM COMPOSERS COLLECTION: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/composers.html
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III-COLLECTOR'S EDITION: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/te3laser.html
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT-ULTIMATE MUSICAL TREASURY: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/telaserbox.html - There are also session tracks of "Breezing Along With the Breeze" from THE LONG LONG TRAILER
THOROUGHBREDS DON'T CRY/LISTEN, DARLING: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/listendarling.html
THE WIZARD OF OZ ULTIMATE TREASURY: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/ozultimate.html
MEET ME IN ST LOUIS: http://www.thejudyroom.com/soundtracks/louislaser.html
ZIEGFELD FOLLIES: session tracks featuring outtake audio

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Regarding the Fred Astaire films in hi-def. In the past, Robyn Smith, the second Mrs. Astaire has been something of a challenge to deal with. Astaire owned the rights to his movies and after he died Robyn inherited that library. She denied the AFI access to footage for Ginger Rogers tribute because they wouldn't pay her for the rights to show the clips. Warner was successful at finagling a limited deal with Smith for the DVD release. But another deal would have to be brokered before we get a hi-def offering. Undoubtedly we'll see Astaire on Blu eventually. Everyone has their price. Ms. Smith has proven she knows hers. We'll see.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I seem to remember that the studios retain the rights for Astaire's actual films, but not for using exerpts in any other ways. Strabge though that Robyn would allow him to dance with a vaccuum cleaner in a commercial but not in a TV tribute to Ginger Rogers.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mikey1969 said:
I seem to remember that the studios retain the rights for Astaire's actual films, but not for using exerpts in any other ways.
This may no longer be true. There were clips from both Swing Time and Top Hat in the doc that accompanied the new Singin' In The Rain blu-ray. Of course, in the 25 years since he's passed, perhaps she might (finally) be changing her stance.
David

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Nick Z,
Just a small point, but I believe it was the Kennedy Honors, and not the AFI, that was denied the rights to show the Astaire/Rogers clips. There was much
denigration of the second Mrs. Astaire at the time ... all of it richly deserved, in my opinion.
Poder

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks