What's new

The official Survivor Season 22 Redemption Island: Russell vs. Rob discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Did anybody see this coming?!

I am watching the AFC Championship game and I see

this commercial for the new season of Survivor. It's

touting Russell vs. Rob.

I mean...I was shocked. Perhaps I should not have been.

After just getting through the worst season of Survivor,

I have to admit that I am longing to root for contestants

that I really like. I suppose the show's creators felt the

same way as well.

I know that many of you are going to be pissed off that

Russell is back in the spotlight. I also do have my own

reservations that the Survivor is becoming "The Russell

Show" and that no doubt these guys have become larger

than life and will spend the entire season hamming it up

best they can.

It's a love/hate feeling. On the one hand, part of me feels

that Survivor has gotten away from putting "real" people

together and instead turning into the ultimate bad reality

show by showcasing their own brand of celebrities. On the

other hand, I'm certain this is going to make for a far more

interesting season than what we just had to sleep through.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This match-up has been rumored for a few months. Survivor is starting to feel like those MTV challenges between the real worlders and road rulers.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'm not at all thrilled with this matchup. But I am curious to see how Russell's game changes when everybody is aware of how he plays.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Wasn't happy with it when I first heard about it either. In fact, I confused it with Amazing Race and it's Second Chance cast for a minute. While I'd have no problem having either of them come back for an All Stars type season again, sticking them in with a bunch of first timers is unfair to the newbies and smacks of gimmick.

Not happy, but I'll still probably enjoy it (i hate to admit).

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm really disappointed by this turn of events. Seriously can't we just let these two fade away already?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
They're two of the most entertaining contestants in the show's history so personally I don't mind it one bit. After suffering through possibly the worst season of Survivor ever I think at this point anything will be an upgrade. I will say that it's probably a little too soon after All-Stars and that an idea like this would've gone over much better in a couple years, but after a season of Naonka I'll take anything to scrub her image from my brain.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I kinda wish they'd waited a while, but I like them both and will certainly love it. If you are a contestant not named Russell or Rob, how do you not vote them off at the first opportunity?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Charlie,

This is a great point and I wonder how you manage to pull

off a show with these two "celebrities" and not have them
voted off in the first two weeks.

Everyone coming into Survivor has to know who these

people are. They know their evil attributes.

If it were me, I would say, "let's vote these bozos off the

show this week and next and get on with the game."

What has been put in place to prevent that from happening

and/or making this game fair at all with their inclusion?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Why would you vote them off early? I get that's how people feel about them, but I wonder if the smarter strategy isn't to hope they hang around as long as possible. Because if you believe you've got a shot at the final 3, wouldn't you prefer Russel or Rob to be one of them, figuring that they will so alienate others that there is no way they can win it all? Russel clearly dominated his season but didn't win it. I don't think either of them can win it all because of their style of play. With them on board, the better strategy might be to line up with one of them and try to fly under the radar all the way

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's not forget, too, that Survivor did this one other time when they brought back Stephanie and Bobby Jon and divvied them up between two tribes of unknowns.

I predict that Rob & Russell will suffer a similar fate as those two. After the newbies wipe away the stardust from their eyes, it won't be long before "those who already had their chance" will be gone.

As much as both Rob & Russell have made their mark on the Survivor universe...enough already. Let newcomers make their mark. For gosh sake...this is Russell's 3rd appearance on Survivor and Rob's 4th!

I'll still watch, too. But, enough!

And that promo was lame beyond words. Probst's "I think I'll need a bigger torch!" is way too goofy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Remember that this is REDEMPTION ISLAND. People you vote off aren't gone forever. They get chances to win their way back. Time will tell if this is shark jumping or not, but I'm going to give it a chance since Russell is my second favorite survivor ever, behind Rupert. And this will be the last I view this thread until the series is over for fear of spoilers. Enjoy the season, see you all on Day 39!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Rumor has it that both Rob and Russell have some sort of "Captain's immunity" until the merge. Again, just a rumor. Not really sure if that's the case, but I'm sure there are some safeguards to prevent an early gang-up on either Rob or Russell at their early tribal council appearances.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Rumor has it that both Rob and Russell have some sort of "Captain's immunity" until the merge. Again, just a rumor. Not really sure if that's the case, but I'm sure there are some safeguards to prevent an early gang-up on either Rob or Russell at their early tribal council appearances.

According to EW, that's not the case. No immunity.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/13/survivor-boston-rob-russell-redemption-island/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. Checking out the pictures of the lady

contestants.

A lot of hot women and a frumpy Jennifer Aniston

lookalike.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought only the first 2 blondes were cute, otherwise, an average bunch of female contestants. The males are also odd looking, especially their bodies look all bulky in weird ways. Why don't people show up with some fat on them, it'll help when their bodies are starving.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
What about the 19 year old brunette??? She might be the hottest one of them all. There are 3 girls in this season that could have easily passed for Maxim cover girls...Natalie, Ashley and Andrea. There are a couple others that are kinda cute as well, but the big 3 are absolutely smoking hot!!!

And Ron, you're right, the one lady(Julie) kinda looks like Jennifer Aniston....on steroids.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Eh, Natalie has youth on her side, but not loving her face, same with Andrea U. Krista has a cute face, Andrea B is also sort of cute.

I guess I'm just getting pickier as I get older (it should work in opposite of that, haha). I don't see any of them Maxim cover girl worthy (going by just one photo) at the moment.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. I think the three I named in my post above are absolute knockouts and I can't wait to see them in action. Can't wait for the new season to wash the bad taste of the last one out of my mouth.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's all good, variety and all that. I'm sure the casting folks knew how to hedge their bets in the casting stage, anyhoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks