-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4809 replies to this topic

#4721 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 11:51 PM

If I was going to watch Spartacus today in a movie theater environment, particularly in d-cinema, I would want to know a lot of the particulars about what went into the release. Is it being shown in 2K near HDTV resolution or 4K? How was the DCP encoded? Is it given a generous bit rate or severely compressed (there is a very wide margin of what can be done with JPEG 2000 image encoding).

I was fortunate enough to watch Spartacus in 70mm back in 1991. I was still in art school at the time and none other than Robert Harris (and my film history teacher Gene Stavis who passed away recently) organized a special presentation for SVA students at the Ziegfeld theater. Robert Harris had a couple short spools of 70mm film showing examples of the difficulties rebuilding a 70mm print using black and white separation elements (if they don't line up perfectly they look like an anaglyphic 3D movie or something).

I was unaware that we had lost Gene.  A great gentleman.  I recall driving up the East Side Drive in Manhattan about a dozen or so years ago, and seeing Gene, in his wheelchair, doing what seemed to be about 10 mph in his wheelchair on the access road.

He will be missed.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4722 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 09:52 PM

POPULAR

• Reed Grele, Josh Steinberg, ahollis and 1 other like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4723 of 4810 Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 12:50 AM

Wow. I really should watch my BD of Valley soon.

#4724 of 4810 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 14 2014 - 01:13 AM

Wow. I really should watch my BD of Valley soon.

She will be 94 this year. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4725 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 10:56 AM

http://www.hollywood...n-style-parody/

#4726 of 4810 goalieboy82

goalieboy82

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 04:06 PM

mr harris,

will there be a dvd release of the lawrence of arabia restored version (a better dvd version then this)

http://www.amazon.co...rence of arabia

i got it at a local grocery store for $8.00. 

#4727 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 06:15 PM

mr harris,

will there be a dvd release of the lawrence of arabia restored version (a better dvd version then this)

I would not suggest viewing the film in DVD format.

RAH

#4728 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 06:15 PM

http://www.studiodai...hq_v=d625a6b6ee

#4729 of 4810 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,561 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 09:59 PM

mr harris,

Bring it back and buy a Blu-ray player and the Blu-ray version - repeat the second step for as many great Blu-rays as possible.

#4730 of 4810 Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 01:06 AM

http://movieblogs.so...since=322274502

Scroll down quite a bit for an article by Gerard Schurmann about orchestrating the score for Lawrence.

#4731 of 4810 goalieboy82

goalieboy82

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 02:42 PM

I would not suggest viewing the film in DVD format.

RAH

i dont have a blu ray player yet (will ask for one for christmas).  also if i would to get a blu ray player, would i need to get a new tv (my hd tv is from 2004). 

#4732 of 4810 goalieboy82

goalieboy82

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 03:28 PM

Bring it back and buy a Blu-ray player and the Blu-ray version - repeat the second step for as many great Blu-rays as possible.

i got the dvd about 2 years ago. 

#4733 of 4810 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,348 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 03:33 PM

i dont have a blu ray player yet (will ask for one for christmas).  also if i would to get a blu ray player, would i need to get a new tv (my hd tv is from 2004). 

Do you know what kind of inputs your current TV has?  Does it have HDMI?  All BD players have that connection, and it's the easiest and best for picture quality.  If your TV doesn't have HDMI, it probably has component inputs (3 RCA-type cables for picture, and two for audio) -- the picture isn't quite as good as HDMI, but is still leaps and bounds above SD quality.  Not all BD players have component outputs but there are plenty that do.

Bottom line, you most likely will not need a new TV to enjoy a BD player.  You might not get everything that Blu-ray has to offer with your current set, but you should be able to add a Blu-ray player and improve the picture quality you're getting on what you already do have.

• Robert Harris likes this

#4734 of 4810 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,561 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 11:07 PM

As it is from 2004 it may not yet have the HDMI connector but you definitely have the option to feed it via component and with a bit of luck it may even have a DVI input that you can connect a Blu-ray player to. Better to check for that before you get a player as many players do not have component outputs anymore but with DVI you may not need them anyway and that will broaden your choice of players.

In the long run you will benefit from a new 1080p capable TV, these have gone down in price a lot and even in substantial sizes do not cost a fortune anymore.

#4735 of 4810 Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 08:22 AM

Is Robert Harris reading this thread? I have a question for him.

When you were restoring Lawrence of Arabia, some of the dialogue was re-recorded for the missing scenes. Some by the original actors, others by soundalikes. Why was this done for LOA, but not for the missing dialogue in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World? Was it because they were able to find most of the original dialogue for those scenes in 6-track tape form?

#4736 of 4810 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 378 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted April 28 2014 - 08:56 AM

Do you know what kind of inputs your current TV has?  Does it have HDMI?  All BD players have that connection, and it's the easiest and best for picture quality.  If your TV doesn't have HDMI, it probably has component inputs (3 RCA-type cables for picture, and two for audio) -- the picture isn't quite as good as HDMI, but is still leaps and bounds above SD quality.  Not all BD players have component outputs but there are plenty that do.

Even if the player does have Component outputs, current regulations require that any video played through an analog connection must be downgraded to standard definition quality. Only early generation Blu-ray players were capable of transmitting high definition through Component. That was taken away with the "analog sunset." As such, he wouldn't see much benefit over DVD until he gets a new TV with HDMI.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#4737 of 4810 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,561 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 09:47 PM

Even if the player does have Component outputs, current regulations require that any video played through an analog connection must be downgraded to standard definition quality. Only early generation Blu-ray players were capable of transmitting high definition through Component. That was taken away with the "analog sunset." As such, he wouldn't see much benefit over DVD until he gets a new TV with HDMI.

I forgot about that myself as I haven't used component for anything but Muse LD for ages!

In any case I am pretty sure that this was not in effect in 2012 so it might be a good idea to look for a player that started selling in 2012.

On the other hand with a TV from 2004 there is a chance that he will have an HDCP capable DVI or even HDMI input whch would enable him to get just about every player on the market - at least in theory that is.

#4738 of 4810 Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted April 29 2014 - 11:04 AM

Having just seen "The Grand Budapest Hotel" I found this parody trailer spot on.  

#4739 of 4810 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,348 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 05:05 PM

Boo!  I didn't realize that was a thing.

#4740 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 05:28 AM

http://www.dvinfo.ne...nside-look.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users