Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4910 replies to this topic

#4621 of 4911 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 17 2013 - 10:47 AM

A lovely man. He will be missed.

Yup, a real one of a kind like all the greats, hopefully not too long before great looking Blu's of:

Lord Jim

What's New Pussycat

How To Steal A Million

The Ruling Class

My Favorite Year

#4622 of 4911 OFFLINE   SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 02:03 PM

Sorry to hear that Peter O'Toole has passed away.  His Lawrence was one of the great film characters.

Spotted something interesting a little after the 8 minute mark in this British Pathe film of NYC:  a color view of a marquee advertising LOA in 1963.

http://www.britishpa...-1-of-2-little/

#4623 of 4911 OFFLINE   SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 02:07 PM

Nice view as the vehicle drives by (keep watching until about the 9 minute mark, where the second shot ends):

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4624 of 4911 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 03:15 PM

I have seen the 1998 70mm Dolby SR and the 70mm DTS which i am sure was re colourtimmed , Also seen the 4K , and like Oliver says you cant beat a good Super Panavision 70 print.

But now you can watch it in 4k at home, preferably of course on a front projection system. I recommend screen widths from 10 feet upwards for maximum impact:http://www.soundandv...ent/sony-serverhttp://www.soundandv...y-4k-projectorsEdit: Plus for now you need to be in the US for that - studio policies...

#4625 of 4911 OFFLINE   Cineman

Cineman

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 09:03 AM

Sorry to hear that Peter O'Toole has passed away.  His Lawrence was one of the great film characters.

Spotted something interesting a little after the 8 minute mark in this British Pathe film of NYC:  a color view of a marquee advertising LOA in 1963.

http://www.britishpa...-1-of-2-little/

Thanks for posting that. Our day and evening would have been all set with an early lunch at the Woolworth's counter (probably a club sandwich for me, egg salad sandwich for her), the matinee of either Irma la Douce or Mutiny on the Bounty, followed by dinner at Howard Johnson's (if it was a Tuesday, their all-you-can-eat fish fry for both of us!), and the evening performance of Lawrence of Arabia. Of course, we'd have had something hot, buttered and coated in chocolate from those snack bars. What a great day and night that would have been! Nutritionally sound, too.  :)

Yeah!

#4626 of 4911 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted December 18 2013 - 04:17 PM

Watched LOA yesterday. God, what a great movie and Blu-ray!!!

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#4627 of 4911 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,060 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 06:48 PM

http://www.creativep...ll-street/64824

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4628 of 4911 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,185 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 19 2013 - 08:44 AM

An article on Lawrence and the Arab revolt posted today at the Hoover Institution site.

http://www.hoover.or.../article/164006

The passing of Peter O’Toole, some fifty years after the release of “Lawrence of Arabia,” hardly merited a notice in the Arabic media. Perhaps it could have been titled “Lawrence in Arabia,” or reading his sublime Seven Pillars of Wisdom, there is absolutely room for “Lawrence on Arabia.” But the more celebrated formulation, denoting a relationship between a man and place, was always a Western projection.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4629 of 4911 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,063 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted December 19 2013 - 01:02 PM

It's fitting that his last film role is in Katherine Of Alexandria since it's a return to Lawrence territory in the middle east.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4630 of 4911 OFFLINE   seangood79

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 10:05 PM

Watched the 4K restoration tonight on a 55 ft screen, maybe the largest I've seen it.

One thing I've never noticed before was the blood stain from Tafas' body is growing as Omar Sharif makes his famous entrance from the mirage.

It's a little thing in an already complicated scene: The camel had to hit its mark, Sharif had to dismount without falling, while holding a rifle, then an exchange  of dialogue with O'Toole. And now I realize there was someone on set in charge of making sure the blood was flowing on cue.

I'd be really impressed if they got that shot in one take.

Man, what a great movie.

#4631 of 4911 OFFLINE   nikonf5

nikonf5

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 04:47 AM

An article on Lawrence and the Arab revolt posted today at the Hoover Institution site.

http://www.hoover.or.../article/164006

You can see much of what is stated in this article hinted at in the film itself but Lean resisted any direct reference to it and, luckily for cinema, didnt make it the central theme of the movie.

#4632 of 4911 OFFLINE   nikonf5

nikonf5

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 04:56 AM

Watched the 4K restoration tonight on a 55 ft screen, maybe the largest I've seen it.

One thing I've never noticed before was the blood stain from Tafas' body is growing as Omar Sharif makes his famous entrance from the mirage.

It's a little thing in an already complicated scene: The camel had to hit its mark, Sharif had to dismount without falling, while holding a rifle, then an exchange  of dialogue with O'Toole. And now I realize there was someone on set in charge of making sure the blood was flowing on cue.

I'd be really impressed if they got that shot in one take.

Man, what a great movie.

I would advise u to read this whole thread from the beginning.

There is a wealth of information to be found [including information on that very scene] and tidbits you will never read in print and could only be from the mouths of people who had been there.

My advice is to take screenshots and save them all in one folder, preferably called LoA.

in70mm.com also has some great information.

#4633 of 4911 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,060 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 05:26 AM

Technicolor Shutters Glendale Lab as Film’s Fadeout ContinuesDECEMBER 20, 2013 -- 01:02PM PT VARIETYCompany expects its last facility to close in less than five yearsDavid S. CohenSenior Editor, FeaturesTechnicolor’s decision to close its Glendale film lab shows just how quickly the photochemical film business is approaching extinction.The lab, which employed 39 people, was devoted to processing 65mm negatives and striking 70mm prints for Imax and other large-format theaters. ”It’s clear the market has dropped, as you can imagine,” said Claude Gagnon, president of Technicolor Creative Services. “Imax has transformed a lot of their theaters to digital and we were even lucky to have another year, because the volume was very uncertain at the beginning of the year 2013.”Fotokem continues to offer 65mm/70mm services as well as 35mm and 16mm services, and Technicolor still has one film lab, in Bangkok. But photochemical developing and printing on an industrial scale is likely to vanish soon. “Is it six months? Is it three months? It’s not five years,” said Gagnon about the future of Technicolor’s Bangkok lab. Gagnon said some studios have said that sometime in 2014, there will be no more film prints.Gagnon said the company’s HR department is working to place the affected employees elsewhere within the company but, “as you can imagine it’s very difficult to move people from a very analog activity to digital.” Technicolor employs 1,750 people in the Los Angeles area, he said.Technicolor has been eager to shed its analog film legacy business for some time as it completes its transition to a digital services and post-production company. It even dropped any hint of film reels from its logo in favor of a logo suggesting digital level bars.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4634 of 4911 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted December 21 2013 - 07:09 AM

"This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper."

TS Eliot

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#4635 of 4911 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted December 21 2013 - 08:35 AM

It's happening all over the world. Another reminder that one has to keep up with the times.

Look at all the silent film stars that were out of a job when sound came in.

My career was affected twice by the changing times over the last 30 years. So I can empathize with the Technicolor people.

#4636 of 4911 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 21 2013 - 09:41 AM

End of a long long era. Being in the exhibition industry, this came quickly and took a long time. Film cans, splicers, leader, counters, rewind tables, and projector oil are gone.

#4637 of 4911 OFFLINE   Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 21 2013 - 10:11 AM

The Parade's Gone By - Again.

Malcolm Blackmoor

#4638 of 4911 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,036 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 21 2013 - 10:23 AM

Happened in the auto industry. Mechanics left in the dust when computer injection showed up.Anymore, you can't find a mechanic that can do carbs. And even when you find one that can do carbs...they crap their pants on ad side/down draft.

#4639 of 4911 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,839 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 10:55 AM

End of a long long era. Being in the exhibition industry, this came quickly and took a long time. Film cans, splicers, leader, counters, rewind tables, and projector oil are gone.

Yes, I hung up my sprockets in June. :)

Read the blog (please): www.bigscreenclassics.com

#4640 of 4911 OFFLINE   seangood79

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 01:26 PM

Look at all the silent film stars that were out of a job when sound came in.

We're still big. It's the projectors that got small.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users