-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4809 replies to this topic

#4581 of 4810 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,143 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 31 2013 - 04:44 PM

Interesting - are they the last doing Plasma?

Personally I've always found something about Plasma that I didn't like. I'm going to keep my DLP set going as long as I can as for me it's the best option for my taste. The only way we'll get back to the quality of the CRT sets though is if they can ever get FED working, or maybe OLED at good size and price.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4582 of 4810 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted November 01 2013 - 08:28 PM

I own 4 Panasonic Plasma TV's. While this news was not unexpected, it is sad nevertheless.

I'm still extremely happy with them, and I'm sure that they'll be putting out an acceptable quality picture for the foreseeable future.

By the time they're at the end of their useful life, we'll probably all have 90" OLED displays that roll up like a window shade when not in use.

#4583 of 4810 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,108 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 02 2013 - 10:10 AM

While this news was not unexpected, it is sad nevertheless.

Not unexpected, but damning nonetheless.  I don't usually fling the term about, but -- thanks, Joe Sixpack, for caring nothing about quality -- only screen size and thinness at the lowest possible dollar amount.

Well, we all care to varying degrees about dollar amount.  But Panasonic's decision comes at an inconvenient time, as I have money flying out the window in all directions on various and sundry worthy and/or necessary projects -- because grabbing one of the last higher-end 65" Pannys is something I'd jump on otherwise.  My smaller VT25 is, quite simply, one of my most prized things.  For the past three years it (along with the expert guidance available right here) has opened up my view onto great film like nothing before.

So, the news inspires thought and reflection.  On the one hand, my music/movie room would be PERFECTLY served with an upgrade to the latest 65" screen.  On the other hand, as much as I've protested that going to projection in that room would be a major challenge due to everything the room houses, maybe -- just maybe -- this sea change in plasma production should be taken more as a sign that it's time to think about making that happen and thereby "future-proof" the whole thing.  Because, while I can unhesitatingly make the above statement about what the plasma has given me, I've known since I first laid eyes on what's possible with projection -- from last year's HTF meet to Reed's DIY screen -- that THAT is the ultimate answer to my love of film.

It's a lot to think about.

Edited by Charles Smith, November 02 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#4584 of 4810 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,576 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted November 02 2013 - 10:26 AM

Not unexpected, but damning nonetheless.  I don't usually fling the term about, but -- thanks, Joe Sixpack, for caring nothing about quality -- only screen size and thinness at the lowest possible dollar amount.

Well, we all care to varying degrees about dollar amount.  But Panasonic's decision comes at an inconvenient time, as I have money flying out the window in all directions on various and sundry worthy and/or necessary projects -- because grabbing one of the last higher-end 65" Pannys is something I'd jump on otherwise.  My smaller VT25 is, quite simply, one of my most prized things.  For the past three years it (along with the expert guidance available right here) has opened up my view onto great film like nothing before.

So, the news inspires thought and reflection.  On the one hand, my music/movie room would be PERFECTLY served with an upgrade to the latest 65" screen.  On the other hand, as much as I've protested that going to projection in that room would be a major challenge due to everything the room houses, maybe -- just maybe -- this sea change in plasma production should be taken more as a sign that it's time to think about making that happen and thereby "future-proof" the whole thing.  Because, while I can unhesitatingly make the above statement about what the plasma has given me, I've known since I first laid eyes on what's possible with projection -- from last year's HTF meet to Reed's DIY screen -- that THAT is the ultimate answer to my love of film.

If your concern is about not having sufficient projection screen space in your room (and if not, forgive my misinterpretation), perhaps my experience can be useful. I have a dedicated room, but it is small, and I have arranged my gear in order to privilege sound ahead of visuals. When I was looking to replace my 32" SD CRT (which is now doing service in the living room), I looked at flat panels. At that time, I had room for something in the 65" range and there were some options on the market--quite closer to 8000$ than 2000$. So, instead, I built a 64" screen and mounted it to my wall and purchased a projector instead (giving me a 64" image for 1200$). As far as projectors go, my screen is rather small, but I am still very satisfied with the image I get from my projector and even today, a flat panel that would outperform my projector at that size remains a more expensive option. If I were willing to compromise with the position of my centre speaker, I could go even larger (thus making the savings even bigger when comparing projectors with flat panels). I had given thought to a plasma as a replacement for my projector, primarily because prices have come down and plasmas don't need replacement bulbs, but I've recently concluded (aided, in part, by this news--in three years [the remaining time I hope to coax out of my PJ with its second bulb] I suspect no one will still be making plasmas) that I will get another projector. Even standard bulb life has improved since I bought my PJ and perhaps LED lighting will be available at reasonable cost to me.

(the other advantage of a PJ is for Super Bowl parties--I can haul it into the larger family room, hang a sheet and we have a GIANT screen for the game--but that's me)

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4585 of 4810 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,461 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 01:47 PM

DP Shane Hurlbut has a great site.  Here's his comparison between two data cameras...

http://www.hurlbutvi...-vs-canon-c500/

His content is really good, but I detest his new sideways layout. 

#4586 of 4810 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 03:11 PM

Don't think....Do! ;)

My motto is:There is no wall in my house that is too small for a decent size projection screen (well, maybe the bathrooms, and laundry room.)

Also, I decided to splurge on a 5' x 12' sheet of Wilsonart Designer White laminate to replace the blackout cloth on the new 2.76x1 frame. The cloth was fine, even with a bit of sagging and rippling here and there. But laminate is forever!

#4587 of 4810 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted November 02 2013 - 04:57 PM

I own 4 Panasonic Plasma TV's. While this news was not unexpected, it is sad nevertheless.

I'm still extremely happy with them, and I'm sure that they'll be putting out an acceptable quality picture for the foreseeable future.

By the time they're at the end of their useful life, we'll probably all have 90" OLED displays that roll up like a window shade when not in use.

It's definitely sad news, as I have always been a big fan of plasma's image quality over LCD/LED. Worse still, I highly doubt OLED will be affordable and problem-free for quite a while yet, so it creates a huge gap.

Interestingly, a Panasonic employee/insider known as "avjunkie" who is involved in TV design and posts regularly on another AV forum had this to say about Panasonic's decision:

At a cross roads guys. I'm a part of a company that after the massive layoffs I can no longer respect. The inhumanity shown for the sake of covering up poor business decisions and mistakes has lead me to this point. Where I no longer wish to be part of this company that for many years has been my home. I'll actively be looking for new employment in the coming months as I cannot get behind products such as led knowing it's inferior to the zt [plasma].

#4588 of 4810 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 06:39 AM

I share the dismay at this announcement. However, my next big HT investment will probably be a projector, most likely several years down the road once my last television dies. Since projection outclasses plasma in quality, this isn't the worst news in the world, not by a long shot.

#4589 of 4810 owen35

owen35

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 10:49 AM

Saw this on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire."  This was a $100,000.00 question.  The contestant really struggled with the answer with the classic moment being when he said "I'm not sure if Lawrence was in color or black-n-white."  This would have been the easiest $100,000 I'd ever earn!

Attached Thumbnails

• Millionaire.png

=============
Visit My Site: DavidLean.com
Read My Book: David Lean: Interviews

#4590 of 4810 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,143 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted November 12 2013 - 12:38 AM

Wow that is stupidly easy. At least put some other B&W films up as choices!
  • Lromero1396 likes this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4591 of 4810 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,576 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted November 12 2013 - 10:45 AM

American game show questions are ridiculously easy compared to the money at stake (a quick perusal of game shows from other countries will reveal this) and this is deliberate. It is a consequence of the quiz shows scandals in the late 50s (remember the Redford directed film Quiz Show?). The sponsors and show runners figured out early on that audiences tuned in to watch people win something, not lose (schadenfreude was less prevalent back then I suppose). This was especially true if the winner was somehow attractive (looks, demeanour, etc.). Hence the cheating. When the scandal and its aftermath made it illegal to cheat by giving out answers in advance, the bulk of the shows took a different tack to achieve the same result--make the games a LOT easier. Jeopardy stands as something of an exception, but even then, it is easier to play and win at Jeopardy than it was to try to win at game shows like 21 without cheating.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4592 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 02:52 PM

http://blogs.indiewi...thru_newsletter

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4593 of 4810 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,108 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 20 2013 - 06:31 AM

Had to read that a couple of times to fully absorb it.  My fault, not theirs.  

Amazing.  I'll be there. 

#4594 of 4810 AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:23 AM

Peter O'Toole 1932-2013.  Marvellous looking beggar.    

#4595 of 4810 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:38 AM

And a superb actor.  Very, very sad, but not unexpected.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4596 of 4810 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,981 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:43 AM

One of those "larger than life" fellows with the personality to match.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4597 of 4810 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,108 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 15 2013 - 11:02 AM

Oh no! So sad to hear this.

Too damned soon to hear it.

#4598 of 4810 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 11:06 AM

I know what I'll be watching tonight.

"Well sir.... Goin' home."

#4599 of 4810 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,393 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted December 15 2013 - 11:06 AM

Peter O'Toole 1932-2013.  Marvellous looking beggar.    

He worked to the end, i see he has a film coming out next year called Katherine Of Alexandria.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4600 of 4810 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted December 15 2013 - 11:15 AM

Very sad news about Peter O'Toole. RIP.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users