Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4887 replies to this topic

#4521 of 4888 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,928 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:06 PM

http://www.dpreview....ampaign=generic

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4522 of 4888 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:13 AM

Since this thread hasn't really been about Lawrence of Arabia in a long time, I nominate that the thread title be changed to "A Few Words While We Wait." Who's with me? :)

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#4523 of 4888 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:17 AM

Since this thread hasn't really been about Lawrence of Arabia in a long time, I nominate that the thread title be changed to "A Few Words While We Wait." Who's with me? :)

I used to open this thread thinking it's related to Lawrence of Arabia and still occasionally do out of habit.  I nominate "A Few Words While We Wait for the Next Big Release."

#4524 of 4888 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,516 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:23 AM

My eyes!    Blasphemers!

#4525 of 4888 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,928 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 04:09 PM

http://touch.latimes...e/p2p-77099863/

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4526 of 4888 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted August 22 2013 - 08:20 AM

Savages.

#4527 of 4888 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 315 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted August 22 2013 - 11:44 AM

Why is there no specific thread for Masters of Cinema? Their announcement yesterday was quite important.

#4528 of 4888 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,200 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted August 22 2013 - 11:50 AM

No reason you can't start one if you feel the need.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4529 of 4888 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 06:49 PM

It was a pretty nice announcement:

http://www.bleedingc...ember-releases/

#4530 of 4888 OFFLINE   Randiego

Randiego

Auditioning

• 5 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted August 25 2013 - 11:58 AM

At the risk of bringing the discussion somewhat on topic, has anyone read the new book LAWRENCE IN ARABIA  by Scott Anderson? I just ordered it, but then, I am an easy sell on this subject. By  the way, this may be the best thread on the internet.

http://www.amazon.co...rence in arabia  and  http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

#4531 of 4888 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,041 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 25 2013 - 12:07 PM

At the risk of bringing the discussion somewhat on topic, has anyone read the new book LAWRENCE IN ARABIA  by Scott Anderson? I just ordered it, but then, I am an easy sell on this subject. By  the way, this may be the best thread on the internet.

http://www.amazon.co...rence in arabia  and  http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

It's a toss up between this thread and the where to buy Scooby snacks thread.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4532 of 4888 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,200 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted August 25 2013 - 03:29 PM

What's "Lawrence of Arabia"?
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4533 of 4888 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,729 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 25 2013 - 07:34 PM

...and the where to buy Scooby snacks thread.

Um...link please?!?  :biggrin:

Scooby snacks rock!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4534 of 4888 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 12:11 AM

Why is there no specific thread for Masters of Cinema? Their announcement yesterday was quite important.

There is one. You'll find it in the "International" Forum.

#4535 of 4888 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 03:13 AM

I've been watching Lawrence of Arabia again . . . and I noticed something strange.  In the early scene with Donald Wolfit and Claude Rains, Wolfit goes to the window and smoke appears to come out of his mouth but he is not smoking in the scene.  I wondered about cold air outside but hardly in Sevilla . . . 

I also wondered about the placement of the intermission.  I must confess to finding Part One very long indeed with too many desert scenes.  I did think DL was exactly right to cut out that scene just before the feast in Auda's tent - all those horses and camels riding around in circles doesn't serve any purpose at all, except to say 'this is a big epic movie and we've spent tons of money.'

So I thought, maybe the intermission should have come at the Suez Canal, ending with the 'who are you?' shot of Lawrence and then fade to the interval, thus opening Part Two in the entry into Cairo.

#4536 of 4888 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,516 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 26 2013 - 04:35 AM

While the intermission's going on...

I have 'International' selected in my filters but haven't seen anything.  Did a title search on 'Masters of Cinema' and found one thread with five posts in 2005, so I'm missing something here.  Can you please provide a pointer to the active thread?  Thanks!

EDIT:  I did find a couple titled 'Eureka'.

Edited by Charles Smith, August 26 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#4537 of 4888 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,729 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 26 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have 'International' selected in my filters but haven't seen anything.  Did a title search on 'Masters of Cinema' and found one thread with five posts in 2005, so I'm missing something here.  Can you please provide a pointer to the active thread?  Thanks!

I think THIS is the thread...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4538 of 4888 OFFLINE   owen35

owen35

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 04:27 PM

Somewhat off topic here, but did anyone catch Kevin Spacey's excellent speech at The James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture for the Edinburgh International Television Festival?  Aside from being a terrific speech on the future of television, he gives particular praise and foresight to David Lean when Lean spoke at his Lifetime Achievement Award in the 90's.  (Spacey also humorously says "Two things you should know: One, David Lean directed 'Lawrence of Arabia,' and, two, if you don't know who David Lean is, (then) you are in the wrong business.")

Lean's speech was not your typical "thank you" speech that one hears on these occasions.  This evening Lean spoke passionately about the "money people" opening up their wallets and supporting the new generation of filmmakers.  He wanted producers to take risks! To stop "coming out of the same rabbit hole" as Noel Coward said to Lean.  His plea for originality is even more important today than it was in 1990 as we are only fed Digital Effects-only movies and sequel after sequel.

I'd recommend seeing the speech as Spacey does a masterful job.  

If you wish to check out Lean's (edited) speech, you can watch it here: 

=============
Visit My Site: DavidLean.com
Read My Book: David Lean: Interviews

#4539 of 4888 OFFLINE   owen35

owen35

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hmmm, for some reason Spacey's speech got stripped.  Let's try again: 

Also, I incorrectly quoted Lean: It is "stop coming out the same hole".  The rabbit was of my own invention.  :-)

=============
Visit My Site: DavidLean.com
Read My Book: David Lean: Interviews

#4540 of 4888 OFFLINE   nikonf5

nikonf5

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 04:15 AM

Somewhat off topic here, but did anyone catch Kevin Spacey's excellent speech at The James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture for the Edinburgh International Television Festival?  Aside from being a terrific speech on the future of television, he gives particular praise and foresight to David Lean when Lean spoke at his Lifetime Achievement Award in the 90's.  (Spacey also humorously says "Two things you should know: One, David Lean directed 'Lawrence of Arabia,' and, two, if you don't know who David Lean is, (then) you are in the wrong business.")

Lean's speech was not your typical "thank you" speech that one hears on these occasions.  This evening Lean spoke passionately about the "money people" opening up their wallets and supporting the new generation of filmmakers.  He wanted producers to take risks! To stop "coming out of the same rabbit hole" as Noel Coward said to Lean.  His plea for originality is even more important today than it was in 1990 as we are only fed Digital Effects-only movies and sequel after sequel.

I'd recommend seeing the speech as Spacey does a masterful job.

Coming from a HUGE Spacey fan, yes, he does do a masterful job which is not surprising considering his natural gift for oratory, and even though it came in at 45+ mins, I actually listened to the whole thing at work.

If I were an American actor going to the UK and I was planning to talk about creativity, originality and studio exec risk-taking in TV, I would probably not use a US TV show that is, in some ways , a re-make of a UK TV show.

Also ironic, the original was released by the BBC the same year that Lean made the speech.

Edited by nikonf5, August 28 2013 - 04:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users