A Few Words About Sony Pictures

• Please log in to reply
4816 replies to this topic

#4461 of 4817 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,567 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 12:28 PM

That or simply that "two men" implied the Turks he was fighting against and so he clarified he killed two men he was working with, i.e. comrades in arms and not "Well not men per se but Arabs".

#4462 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 01:45 PM

http://www.theatlant...o-names/276577/

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4463 of 4817 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:58 PM

Those sessions sound like a fine way to spend a day or an evening.

#4464 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 11:59 AM

An interesting examination of a genre from David Bordwell:

http://www.davidbord...mes-a-jump-cut/

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4465 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 12:05 PM

For those unfamiliar with the work of Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell, here's another superb piece from their site:

http://www.davidbord...-content-ahead/

Always worth a visit.

RAH

#4466 of 4817 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted June 06 2013 - 06:45 PM

For those unfamiliar with the work of Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell, here's another superb piece from their site:

http://www.davidbord...-content-ahead/

Always worth a visit.

RAH

Invalid link on this one, FYI.

Edit: I think his site just crashed between when I clicked on the first link and when I tried the second. Now neither is working.

Edited by JoshZ, June 06 2013 - 06:51 PM.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#4467 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 03:47 AM

http://www.filmprese...t/PR-2013-06-04

#4468 of 4817 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 08:36 AM

Wonderful news! I don't think Fox has an interest in a complete John Ford BD set given Twilight Time's recent release announcements, so it's fantastic to see some of his unavailable work getting released! An early Hitchcock and 2-strip Tech will be nice to have as well.

#4469 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 09:55 AM

Fox certainly gave Mr. Ford his due with this release:

http://www.amazon.co...words=john ford

He was such a prolific filmmaker, beginning in 1913, and making a move from his roots in Bison and Universal to Fox c. 1920.  Three decades at Fox creates the problem that most people, even rabid fans, would find the compleat Ford too touch a financial commitment.

Between the availability of his Columbia, M-G-M and RKO work, we're actually in quite good shape.

RAH

#4470 of 4817 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 07 2013 - 10:07 AM

Good reminder.  Is that set still worth acquiring?  Or does the answer depend on how many of the films one already has separately?

The Murnau/Borzage box is a treasure.

#4471 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 04:26 AM

http://www.thedigita...how-engagements

#4472 of 4817 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted June 12 2013 - 07:52 AM

Interesting article (though Montrealers might be miffed at not being considered "international" ;) ).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4473 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 08:01 AM

Interesting article (though Montrealers might be miffed at not being considered "international" ;) ).

it's just that we, here in the Colonies, consider Montrealers family.

RAH

#4474 of 4817 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 08:41 AM

it's just that we, here in the Colonies, consider Montrealers family.

RAH

And that's mighty neighbourly of you. Merci beaucoup. 

#4475 of 4817 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 15 2013 - 07:28 AM

I don't want to start another thread to discuss this and since we use this thread to discuss every topic under the sun i'll post here.

I wasn't too happy to see a member's thread locked down and closed, i am referring to the film grain thread, even if it wasn't going anywhere fast i believe it could have been used for educational purposes with regards the subject matter and kept open, i also believe just because some members think the original poster was trolling doesn't make it so, we should have been keeping an open mind on all that and not reacting to it.

I am disappointed because to me this forum doesn't usually do things like that, usually it just lets the thread stay open and people eventually stop posting, i think that's the right way to handle it, closing threads is what other less liberal and more close minded forums do.

I hope this isn't the start of a new trend at home theater forum.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4476 of 4817 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,401 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 15 2013 - 01:56 PM

From the HTF Rules:

(The emphasis in blue is mine.)

Moderators
17. Moderator instructions. HTF moderators (also known as "administrators") are responsible for running the forum on a day-to-day basis and enforcing these rules. Please comply with any instructions from a moderator, whether those instructions are general or specific. Failure to comply with a moderator's instructions will have serious consequences.

18. No public disagreements. Anyone arguing with a moderator regarding enforcement of forum rules and guidelines or disciplinary action will be immediately removed. This includes "indirect" argument, where a member vents about a moderator's action being "unjustified", "excessive", etc.

19. Contacting a moderator. If you have an issue with or complaint against a moderator, raise it privately in an email or private message with the moderator in question. Do not, under any circumstances, raise such issues in public postings. In addition, before contacting the forum's owners with a complaint about a moderator, remember that the owners have personally selected and place great trust in their moderators and are unlikely to be swayed by someone who complains about a moderator without even bothering to contact him or her directly. Please remain civil when dealing with moderators, whether in their official capacity or in their ordinary postings as members of HTF. Abusive or disrespectful conduct toward a moderator will not be tolerated, regardless of whether it occurs in public postings or in private communications.

General
20. We make the rules. Forum rules and guidelines are not up for debate. This is not a democracy, but rather a private forum. Anyone openly debating these rules will be removed. In addition, anyone publicly challenging or "calling out" the forum's ownership or administration on the policies or conduct of the forum will be removed.

• lukejosephchung and Cremildo like this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4477 of 4817 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 16 2013 - 10:01 AM

I wasn't completely aware of those rules when posting thus i offer my apologies, delete the post, i have PMed both you and Robert regarding the thread, once again i am sorry for breaking the rules, if you want you can delete both of my posts, this one and the other since they offer nothing to the thread.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4478 of 4817 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,489 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:09 PM

http://www.televisua...it_bid-465.html

#4479 of 4817 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:35 PM

Interesting reference. Bookmarked it for further review. Thanks.

#4480 of 4817 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 01 2013 - 01:09 PM

Same.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users