Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4882 replies to this topic

#4421 of 4883 OFFLINE   Lawrie Raskin

Lawrie Raskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 07:43 PM

Seems like the Aurens video game can't be far away . . .

Actually, "the Aurens video game" (for PlayStation 3) has been out since 2011.

It's called "Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception".

Have a look at the trailer for it, which appeared in December 2010:

[color=#0000ff;][/color]

I'm not a video-gamer, but I'm told that it's one of the more highly regarded ones,

with terrific 'play' and sensational graphics. The intro and set-up are all about TE,

and refers to clues to a quest in TE's notebooks, but I think that's where it stops

(don't quote me!). If you type in the game title on YouTube, you can find numerous

lengthy clips of sample 'play' sequences. I shudder to imagine what TE would have

thought about all this. Have fun.

#4422 of 4883 OFFLINE   Lawrie Raskin

Lawrie Raskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 07:55 PM

Further to my last post about the LOA video game, if you do want to watch the trailer (worth it),

be sure to first click on "YouTube — Watch on YouTube", then set the preferences 'gear' to "720p-HD"

and also hit "full screen". Good 'eye candy'.

Here's a bit more, in a 5-minute clip of some desert action from the game:

[color=#0000ff;][/color]

Not really TE, but impressive. Enjoy.

Edited by Lawrie Raskin, May 21 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#4423 of 4883 OFFLINE   Lawrie Raskin

Lawrie Raskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 06:59 AM

A further PS to all this advanced silliness: I gather the plot hinges on a ragtag (always 'ragtag') group

of adventurers seeking something or other (probably 'untold treasure'), hinted at by TE's journals,

and somehow connected to Sir Francis Drake (!!!???), all of which leads to a dangerous (of course) journey

to the lost city of Ubar— the 'Atlantis of the Sands' — in the Empty Quarter of Saudi Arabia. 

If you open the YouTube clip entitled "Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (The Movie)" — 3hr16min long,

posted 12 April 2012 by Andy Gilleand — all the TEL rationale is explained from the 43- to the 47-minute mark.

In the meantime, here's a screen grab of the TE stuff on the heroes' table:

2e.png

Edited by Lawrie Raskin, May 22 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#4424 of 4883 OFFLINE   Lawrie Raskin

Lawrie Raskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 07:06 AM

Note (as I did, with great delight) that this is a video game which

actually features and promotes the use of books!!!

#4425 of 4883 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,475 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 22 2013 - 07:10 AM

Books!  What won't they think of next?

We need more advanced silliness.  Bring it on!  

I shall do my part by going out to see Cleopatra this evening at the local bijou.

#4426 of 4883 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 10:30 AM

May I say that this is page 222 of the most incredible thread. Page 222!  That's one page per minute of the original theatrical version!  

#4427 of 4883 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,804 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 22 2013 - 12:14 PM

Books!  What won't they think of next?

We need more advanced silliness.  Bring it on!  

I shall do my part by going out to see Cleopatra this evening at the local bijou.

When I was a kid growing up in Chicago the BIJOU was the theater where they played only "All Male Cast" movies. I wonder if a different version of CLEOPATRA ever played there?

#4428 of 4883 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,389 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 22 2013 - 12:18 PM

In related "Cleopatra" news, HTF reviewer Matt Hough confirms that the Entre'acte music has been properly moved to the beginning of Disc 2 for the US blu-ray release...nice to know that Shawn Belston & Company at Fox care enough to correct the little things we HTF members nitpick about... :laugh:

#4429 of 4883 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,475 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 22 2013 - 12:21 PM

That really is great to hear.  Seriously.

Thank you, Shawn Belston & Company at Fox!

#4430 of 4883 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted May 22 2013 - 12:37 PM

Booo! I'll be keeping my UK version so I can just get right to the movie on disc two.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4431 of 4883 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,475 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 22 2013 - 12:51 PM

Oy!  I just got word that two (2) people showed up for the 2 p.m. showing today.

#4432 of 4883 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,760 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 01:08 PM

Booo! I'll be keeping my UK version so I can just get right to the movie on disc two.

Chapter skip is your friend. :)
"Go ahead...make my day."

#4433 of 4883 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted May 22 2013 - 01:15 PM

but then I have to push a button.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4434 of 4883 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,596 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 04:55 AM

Chapter skip is your friend. :)

Unless it is like LOA where chapter 2 does not start right after the music but after the first scene of the movie

#4435 of 4883 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,880 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 09:06 AM

http://www.americanc...nce-of-arabia-7

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4436 of 4883 OFFLINE   AstonMartin007

AstonMartin007

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:17 PM

Yes, I just noticed that today too. The American Cinematheque really needs to work on their PR, it's terrible, very, very few people know that Vertigo, Citizen Kane, and Lawrence of Arabia are playing this weekend.

I always hear people wishing for 70mm screenings of Lawrence, but 4K DCP seems to be the standard presentation now. Will new 70mm prints of the restoration ever be struck? I'm not against 4K at all, but it is lower resolution than 70mm can display, I know Lawrence was scanned at 8K.

#4437 of 4883 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,880 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yes, I just noticed that today too. The American Cinematheque really needs to work on their PR, it's terrible, very, very few people know that Vertigo, Citizen Kane, and Lawrence of Arabia are playing this weekend.

I always hear people wishing for 70mm screenings of Lawrence, but 4K DCP seems to be the standard presentation now. Will new 70mm prints of the restoration ever be struck? I'm not against 4K at all, but it is lower resolution than 70mm can display, I know Lawrence was scanned at 8K.

4k is not a lower resolution than 70mm.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4438 of 4883 OFFLINE   owen35

owen35

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted May 29 2013 - 02:00 AM

http://www.americanc...nce-of-arabia-8

In case you missed it last Sunday.

=============
Visit My Site: DavidLean.com
Read My Book: David Lean: Interviews

#4439 of 4883 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,880 posts

Posted May 29 2013 - 03:38 AM

The image below was sent to me by Mr. Raskin, who came upon it via Google maps (street view) heading north on coast road ALP-118.

His message was: "About a mile and a half north of the town, as I came around a left curve, here's what I saw.  Look familiar?  Not the [building in the fg], but the beloved familiar land form in the distance...

In his natural fashion, when I suggested that I'd like to post the image, he replied in a Boltie...

But from a different film.

"Ah... then it's a gift."

RAH

North of Carboneras.png

#4440 of 4883 OFFLINE   Cineman

Cineman

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted May 29 2013 - 05:28 AM

Forgive me if this has been mentioned in this thread. I did a search on "No, something else..." and got nothing. I thought maybe the minds here would have a specific answer to my question based on readings of T.E. Lawrence's work.

In the exchange with Allenby after Lawrence reaches Cairo to announce the taking of Aqaba, Lawrence twice dismisses Allenby's conclusions about why he does not think he is fit to be promoted to Major and return to carry on the good work before he finally confesses on the third try to, shockingly, enjoying killing a man:

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Allenby: Why not?[/color]
Allenby: I want you to go back and carry on the good work.[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Lawrence: No thank you, sir.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Lawrence: Well, I, it's, uh, let me see, I killed two people, I mean two Arabs. One was a boy. That was yesterday. I led him into a quicksand. The other was a man. That was before Aqaba anyway. I had to execute him with my pistol. There was something about it I didn't like.[/color][color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Allenby: Well, naturally.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Lawrence: No, something else.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Allenby: I see. Well that's all right. Let it be a warning.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Lawrence: No, something else.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Allenby: What then?[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Lawrence: I enjoyed it.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Allenby: Rubbish...What do you mean by coming here dressed like that? Amateur theatricals?[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Lawrence: Oh yes, entirely.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;](Me: Wow, what is it with the "quote" feature on this site now. Every time I try to keep the entire exchange into one quotation box, the site separates the next line into a new quote box. Whatever...)[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Allenby's first conclusion about it, that most people are naturally averse to killing someone, is dismissed by Lawrence with his first, "No, something else."[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]So Allenby thinks for a brief moment, squirms in his seat so much that he has to shift in his chair, and shakes off that thought with, "[/color][color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]I see. Well that's all right. Let it be a warning", suggesting that he came to another conclusion that is so uncomfortable he avoids mentioning it by name...Lawrence knows what Allenby mistakenly thinks he is referring to as well.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]Then Lawrence dismisses THAT conclusion with, "No, something else" and confesses to having enjoyed it. Allenby's reaction to that confession suggests he had no idea that was what Lawrence was talking about. However, his reaction to the confession is only marginally more "shocked" than whatever it was he thought it was the second time around.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]My question is, what did Allenby think Lawrence was driving at the second time when his response to the first, "No, something else", was a visibly uncomfortable, "[/color][color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]I see. Well that's all right. Let it be a warning"?[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:small;]I have my own assessment of what he thought it was, but wonder if I am reading too much into it or perhaps missing the forest for the trees on this one. Both Lawrence and Allenby are on the same page with whatever it was Allenby thought Lawrence "didn't like about it" that second time around "No, something else", but what do you suppose it was if it wasn't the natural aversion to killing someone OR that Lawrence enjoyed doing it? This is a very big moment in the movie. The camera moves in on Lawrence during this exchange in a way it doesn[/color]'t through the rest of the film. So I imagine whatever it was that prompted the second, "No, something else" must be pretty pertinent to the character and story. Any thoughts?

Edited by Cineman, May 29 2013 - 09:23 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users