Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI splitters and switches

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 dmatz

dmatz

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 21 2011 - 09:47 AM

I am trying to split the HDMI output from my Directv to 2 TV's. I first tried a straight splitter. It worked with only 1 TV connected but when I connected the 2nd.I had no picture on either TV. So I tried a HDMI switch. Same results. I have read several forums and have found posts with the exact same results and also posts where they have done this and it works fine.  Does anyone know why this happens? Are there any devices that would work for my application. Thanks

#2 of 17 zip031

zip031

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 02:45 AM

I see they sell cheap 1 in 2 out HDMI splitters on Ebay but I have not tried them. Some are powered and some are not. I would like to get a 1 in 3 out but have not seen any.

#3 of 17 dmatz

dmatz

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 03:35 AM

I  have one. I got it from Parts Express in 2008. It is a triangular plastic box with a button switch on it. Their pn 180-612.

http://www.parts-exp...612&FTR=180-612 

I can't get any signal thru it.

I also have a 3 way splitter I got from amazon.  Same deal... no signal when I plug in the second output.

http://www.amazon.co...5713916&sr=8-16 

I also just found the above splitter on amazon while scrolling for above p/n at half the price

http://www.amazon.co...95714046&sr=8-5 

#4 of 17 zip031

zip031

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 05:30 AM

The first and last items are 3 input to one output switches not splitters and will not do what you want. Often I see the switches advertised as a splitter/switch. The second item is a one input to two output splitter cable. I see many of these on ebay. The more expensive ones require a separate power source. I think that is what you need but I'm not 100% sure. Look at this:

Deleted by moderator. eBay links are not allowed.

#5 of 17 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 06:03 AM

Whether you get a splitter or a switch - I have found that powered versions work ... non-powered not so much...

#6 of 17 dmatz

dmatz

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for your reply. Have you found a particular brand/model that works well

#7 of 17 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 09:31 AM

The switch I have does not have a name on it anywhere - but it's powered and works well. Found it on Amazon - don't recall the listing title but it was powered and had the best reviews ... I know... not a lot of help there but it's been a long time ago when I got it...

#8 of 17 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 19 2011 - 11:55 AM

This specific question has probably been asked and answered many times over, but I'm not finding it easily and I'd like to purchase something ASAP:

I want to set up a way to watch the occasional 3D movie without swapping cables around, and without dropping several hundred bucks on a new player just yet.  What's the recommended HDMI splitter or switch for this purpose, when the BD player has one HDMI output, one's 1-year-old receiver is pre-1.4, and one has no intention of replacing the receiver any time soon?  A quality player like the Oppo 93 has 2 HDMI outputs, but until I'm ready to pop for that I need a low-priced solution to the cable switching madness.

This might be over-simplification, but I envision a Y-connection cable or box connected to the player's output, enabling HDMI runs to both receiver and TV.  When I want to watch 3D, all I'd have to do is switch the TV input to HDMI-2 or whatever, leaving the receiver set to the regular Blu-ray input for the audio.  Is that the way this should work, and is there a low-cost product that makes it happen?

#9 of 17 Craig.c

Craig.c

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted March 20 2011 - 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

This specific question has probably been asked and answered many times over, but I'm not finding it easily and I'd like to purchase something ASAP:

I want to set up a way to watch the occasional 3D movie without swapping cables around, and without dropping several hundred bucks on a new player just yet.  What's the recommended HDMI splitter or switch for this purpose, when the BD player has one HDMI output, one's 1-year-old receiver is pre-1.4, and one has no intention of replacing the receiver any time soon?  A quality player like the Oppo 93 has 2 HDMI outputs, but until I'm ready to pop for that I need a low-priced solution to the cable switching madness.

This might be over-simplification, but I envision a Y-connection cable or box connected to the player's output, enabling HDMI runs to both receiver and TV.  When I want to watch 3D, all I'd have to do is switch the TV input to HDMI-2 or whatever, leaving the receiver set to the regular Blu-ray input for the audio.  Is that the way this should work, and is there a low-cost product that makes it happen?

I'm in the same position (although I do own the Oppo) due to the number of devices I have. (Cable box, Blu-ray, HD DVD, Media player and X-box). I use mono price switches and haven't had any issues with them. These don't split the signal, but will allow you to switch between inputs

#10 of 17 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 20 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yes, thanks, I'm probably wrong in using the term "splitter".  But this isn't a matter of wanting to switch between them, either.  The receiver needs the audio and the TV needs the 3D video, so both HDMI routes need to be "live".  The only switching I see myself doing is at the TV's own HDMI inputs.

#11 of 17 davin110

davin110

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 28 2011 - 02:40 PM

The answer to whether HDMI splitters degrade signal quality depends on who you ask. The truth is that it's a highly subjective experience. If you start with a regular cable broadcast and use a quality HDMI splitter, you may not notice any decline in signal. However, if you're watching 1080p video from your high-end Blu-ray player and you use a low-quality HDMI splitter cable, you're likely to see a significant decline in signal quality.

#12 of 17 zip031

zip031

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 30 2011 - 07:22 AM

Chas in CT

Is there no optical or coaxial audio out from the the 3D player that you can use to feed the receiver?

#13 of 17 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 31 2011 - 09:29 AM

Yes, there is, but what I was asking about (and probably failed to specify) was lossless audio tracks, which on my player are only available via the HDMI port.  It doesn't have the 5.1 analog outputs, or that might have worked for this.

Anyway, I've done further research and found no nifty little product capable of dealing with this situation.  There are splitters for other applications, not for this one.  To view 3D and run lossless through the surround system, I have to replace either the player or the receiver.  Presumably, when I'm ready to pop for the Oppo 93, which has two HDMI outputs, that will solve this.

In the meantime, when I want to watch a 3D movie I'll have to (1) move the master HDMI cable from the receiver's output to the Blu-ray player's output, and (2) run audio between player and receiver via optical or digital coax.  (I don't know if it makes sense to leave that connected the rest of the time, when HDMI is being used.)  If this doesn't sound completely right or I'm forgetting something important, please speak up.  Thanks.

#14 of 17 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 31 2011 - 03:05 PM

Okay, got it working fine, and in spite of whatever the optical connection does to downgrade the lossless audio, Coraline and Avatar sounded spectacular.  I'll practice the switchover tomorrow to get used to it.  Pain in the ass, but I can deal, and without spending a bloody extra cent.  All is well.

#15 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,639 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 31 2011 - 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by davin110 

The answer to whether HDMI splitters degrade signal quality depends on who you ask. The truth is that it's a highly subjective experience. If you start with a regular cable broadcast and use a quality HDMI splitter, you may not notice any decline in signal. However, if you're watching 1080p video from your high-end Blu-ray player and you use a low-quality HDMI splitter cable, you're likely to see a significant decline in signal quality.

Never use any HDMI splitter/switcher that does not plug into a wall. It will cause problems.

Originally Posted by Phil Taylor 

Whether you get a splitter or a switch - I have found that powered versions work ... non-powered not so much...

#16 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,639 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 31 2011 - 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Okay, got it working fine, and in spite of whatever the optical connection does to downgrade the lossless audio, Coraline and Avatar sounded spectacular.  I'll practice the switchover tomorrow to get used to it.  Pain in the ass, but I can deal, and without spending a bloody extra cent.  All is well.

The optical cable is giving you really good DVD quality audio.  I am in the same boat right now.  I have an AVR that doesn't support 3D passthrough.  I'm looking at either the Oppo BD-93 or the Panasonic DMP-BD310 (coming soon) as they both have dual HDMI outputs.  I have an Oppo BD-83 that I am very happy with, but the Pansonic has lots of bells and whistles and is under $250, half the cost of the Oppo, so I am on the fence.

#17 of 17 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 01 2011 - 01:27 AM

Whoa.  Didn't know about that 310.  I love Oppo, but thanks for the heads up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users